Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2018, 02:58 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,196,880 times

Advertisements

In many fields, I would say more money is needed. But a good, experienced server can get hired quickly and restaurants will sometimes even hire on the spot, or at least within a few days, not like the painful process of a typical corporate desk job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2018, 06:45 AM

244 posts, read 414,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
In many fields, I would say more money is needed. But a good, experienced server can get hired quickly and restaurants will sometimes even hire on the spot, or at least within a few days, not like the painful process of a typical corporate desk job.
This being said, it is very difficult to get into one of the GOOD restaurants around town as a server.

I worked in the restaurant industry for years. The community is still small and with the industry being what it is, you almost always needed to know someone at a restaurant to get hired where you'll make decent money. Sure you can get hired at some random place but I can't guarantee the income will be good.

Old 02-01-2018, 06:57 AM

11,477 posts, read 11,552,056 times
Walking to work and living in Glendale is probably not going to happen. Go on Yelp and search restaurants. Start making phone calls.

Old 02-01-2018, 08:52 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,196,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelin0129 View Post
This being said, it is very difficult to get into one of the GOOD restaurants around town as a server.

I worked in the restaurant industry for years. The community is still small and with the industry being what it is, you almost always needed to know someone at a restaurant to get hired where you'll make decent money. Sure you can get hired at some random place but I can't guarantee the income will be good.
Yes, I agree which is why I asked the OP whether they had any connections at all in Denver. But they can still get a job to start with while they learn their way around town and start to get to know people and I'm sure they'd be able to get in somewhere soon, while still earning some money to start with.

Old 02-03-2018, 04:31 AM

876 posts, read 812,849 times
My comfort level is more like $10,000 for a move to a city with no job or apartment lined up. That comes with more expenses than you think, if you're not one for sleeping in a rented car for a week while you hunt for an apartment, or staying at bad motels.

Still, the number of dollars isn't the question. If you feel a real pull to move to Denver, then $5,000 is enough. Because you will find a way to make it work until you get established in 6-12 months. What is the risk of staying put vs trying something new? Wherever you go, there you are.

Last edited by A1eutian; 02-03-2018 at 04:48 AM..

Old 02-03-2018, 07:15 PM

1,739 posts, read 2,567,505 times
I'd say at least 10K as someone who's been through similar. I used to wait tables and lived that whole thing. That money goes real quick and restaurants are stressful as sh*t, nor predictable many times even though you can make money and gain employment quickly.

Write down a list of all of your expenses in the best-case and worst-case scenarios. Then, tilt towards the worst and give yourself a little comfort room. You may need to jump around a bit to find that right job and you will most certainly want that safety net should things be less than ideal.

Old 02-03-2018, 07:24 PM

7,827 posts, read 3,379,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballen0311 View Post
I'm moving to Denver in May, and I'm single age 35, and have no family or friends. I'm looking towards Glendale, but I'm open. To anywhere close to downtown. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm moving with a 5 grand savings, so hopefully it will keep me living until I find a job. I'm nervous, but very excited. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Have you used Couchsurfing? It's a great way to travel and to meet people, but also there are great people willing to help.

When we first from LA to Boulder, we had a Couchsurfer rent us a room very cheaply. There are also many on there, who would let you stay for free for several weeks. I used it for example exclusively when I traveled around Australia and once stayed with one person for 3 weeks.

Get on there, make a profile and meet some people. There are also forums, where you can ask about a place to stay.

Good luck!

Old 02-15-2018, 12:55 AM

3 posts, read 4,256 times
Thanks for the replies. Yeah I think I am gonna try the roommate thing for awhile until I get situated. I don't live an extravagant lifestyle, as long as I can pay rent I can survive. I also think I will be going to Aurora area after some thought research. Thank you for that hostel link I will look into it. And last I dont own a car, so don't need to worry about insurance and all that. Public transport will be my mode of transportation. I have been in the restaurant business for almost 15 years, as server, busser, dishwasher, management, etc. I have impeccable references. I've always been very poor all my life, and I have had to make money stretch as long as I could. My life right now is very bad, and I need to get out as quickly as possible. I feel inside that I can make it work. And if it doesnt, then at least I know I took the chance and tried. Thanks again for all the replies. You all have helped alot.

Old 02-15-2018, 08:31 AM

26,210 posts, read 49,022,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballen0311 View Post
...Also should I get an already furnished apartment or bring my stuff from Utah which is very little.
Depends a lot on what you have and how much of it you have. Look for a furnished place and if you do find one and it is acceptable then it might be best to go with that. If you can't find a furnished place then you need to choose between bringing items from UT or buying new/used items here. Depends on how attached you are to "the stuff" in UT. As for myself I'm attached to my stereo system, CDs, vinyl LPs, and certain hobby items, all of which I lug around from place to place. It can be expensive to hire a mover and in many cases it's better to sell off or donate old furniture and buy new stuff on the other end with the money saved on hiring a van line. It's a value judgement only you can make based on the actual items.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 02-15-2018, 02:22 PM

60 posts, read 137,214 times
Save more money!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver