U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2018, 12:09 PM

390 posts, read 400,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wycoyote View Post
Bailey is located in a "banana belt" - which means it's generally above the cold air inversions that the Denver basin sees, so many days you'll drive down into the winter weather and then back up out of it.

Woodland Park has a similar climate.

Bailey is still a very small town so driving to Conifer for shopping and medical is recommended.

WP feels more built out, up to date and also busier.

Commutes on 285 and 24 would be similar.

So it may be a matter of deciding if Denver or the Springs are the preferred big city.

Good luck.
This is interesting. I will check these out! Thank you for posting.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2018, 12:22 PM

390 posts, read 400,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrby View Post
Just some observations:

There are some really excellent suggestions and good information above.

Paved residential roads are scarce outside any incorporated community in Colorado.

Virtually all small acreages in Colorado are in platted subdivisions on dirt roads.

Biking, hiking, and nice drives are easy. Swimming is problematic outside of communities with indoor pools.

Pruning is performed by the wildlife in my area and I mow/trim around my house twice a year for fire mitigation. Xeriscaping is a very viable alternative to lawns pretty much anywhere along or west of the Front Range. Some fairly minimal landscaping work can dramatically reduce the work of caring for a lot. Most well permits do not allow for irrigation, or even watering plants outside. In fact, if you build you will want a floor drain in the garage connected to a septic system or you likely will not be legally able to wash your cars. Its complicated.

This sounds about what I expect to have to do. I don't have an aversion to yard work,
I just don't want to be tied to it like I am now. Pruning trees in the summer is getting really old. I doesn't matter how early I get up, it's still hot. The water issues in CO are interesting. Thanks for the tips.

Top level services are available in Ft. Collins, Denver, Boulder, and Colorado Springs. Denver adds professional sports and more entertainment options.

Woodland Park is a nice community (my opinion) and well worth considering. There is a Costco in Colorado Springs about 40 minutes distant.

Colorado Springs has a a very nice airport and from there you can, in theory, fly anywhere. But it is dwarfed in size and choices by DEN, one hour and forty-five minutes from Woodland Park.

Could you budget eight or 10 weekends from now to October to fly in and look around? Once you find an area you like it is much easier to focus on finding just the right property for you.
We are planning on coming up there this summer for several days. Then we want to come during the worst time of year to the areas that we like.

The only problem I'm having is finding actual log cabins. The "cabins" I see are not logs, but simply wood siding, or the homes are similar to what we're living in now (stucco).

Old 02-15-2018, 08:43 AM

2,561 posts, read 5,008,106 times
As another poster stated Bailey is in somewhat of a banana belt, it really is a reasonable climate for the location. Several areas still exist on the North Deer Creek side.

Wanna go old School but very private off the main road check out Sphinx Park, big time logistical issues getting supplies in, you will know what I mean if you check it out.

Old 02-16-2018, 09:46 AM

6,903 posts, read 6,494,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGS4EVER View Post
This is interesting. I will check these out! Thank you for posting.
Bailey is in the bottom of a canyon. It gets cold and snowy. Donít picture warm winters with no arctic blasts.

Old 02-16-2018, 10:00 AM

3,046 posts, read 2,076,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGS4EVER View Post
We are planning on coming up there this summer for several days. Then we want to come during the worst time of year to the areas that we like.

The only problem I'm having is finding actual log cabins. The "cabins" I see are not logs, but simply wood siding, or the homes are similar to what we're living in now (stucco).
As a percentage of built housing, real "log" homes and buildings are not as common around here as you might think. They are expensive to build in comparison to more common methods so you'll see fewer of them around.

Old 02-17-2018, 08:39 AM

5,309 posts, read 2,754,696 times
A former neighbor has a real log cabin for their home. She said it is hard to clean those log walls...high maintenance INSIDE, not just outside.

If it’s the image you want and insist on a real log cabin, expect to spend more time on household cleaning.

Visits should include several from early fall to late spring. The Front Range weather can throw snowstorms in the foothills any of those times, and occasionally they are real whoppers in just a little higher elevation than Denver or its burbs. We used to get literally 2 to 3 times as much snow as Denver did in most storms, and that was at only 7350’. The worst storms tended to come in March or April—heavy, wet, deep snow.

If my posts sound like downers, they are coming from 15 years of living in that location (about 40 minutes from a Costco). It was beautiful, and A LOT of work. Take the blinders off before you buy; DO visit during the bad weather times.

Old 02-17-2018, 08:52 AM

5,309 posts, read 2,754,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Bailey is in the bottom of a canyon. It gets cold and snowy. Don’t picture warm winters with no arctic blasts.
Right. Bailey is not in a banana belt, LOL.

And many of the roads off the 285 corridor start as paved but then you’re on dirt roads. Some are barely one lane wide. OP has classic cars.

Old 04-29-2018, 08:28 AM

125 posts, read 66,321 times
Bailey 71 miles away from Denver airport.

there are some cities are more close to Denver airport.

AVERAGE HOME VALUES BY CITY

Indian Hills - $430,161
Conifer $446,800
Dakota Ridge - $414,292
Evergreen $509,200
Genesee $708,600
Golden $463,600
Idledale - n/a
Kittredge - n/a
Lakewood $339,800
Morrison $369,000
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or