U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2018, 07:30 PM

13,227 posts, read 24,308,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
What city you thinking of? Ghetto can't work for me, got the kids, lol.
Throw a dart Midwest (it wouldn't have to be a ghetto trasher in many cities there), or back to Spokane (can still get in cheap, in "ok" areas). We would still have to come back to CO about once a month, but we don't rely on being here for work. It's a shelved idea for now, but it is getting increasingly appealing with each passing day.

BTW, we used to live 4 houses away from the Aurora house you posted. It will not go for $180K, it should go for $300K at least. Our oldest son went to the craptastic elementary school. Somewhat surprisingly, he'd be picked on simply for being white (he was 7-8 years old back then); his poor teachers seemed to be trying to educate the children, but they seemed pretty overwhelmed and clueless. Todo fue en espaŮol frequentamente tambien
Spoiler
Everything was in Spanish often as well.

The neighborhood itself was mostly fine, it was a weird mix of old white empty-nesters and poor minority families. I wouldn't live there with kids again.

Old 02-15-2018, 08:22 PM

1,787 posts, read 1,124,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Even in only about six months on here, that's definitely the impression I've received. So you never used the word, or the phrase - just go on about how awful it is to live here. Samee samee, IMHO.

And there it is again - "Denver is filled with sucky, cliquey, tribal people." Nothing to hate there.

I'm new here, don't live in Denver and frankly have been a little home-focused so far. My comment has nothing to do with being a Front Ranger, and everything to do with people online who never shut up about how bad ______ is... in a forum devoted to _______. That, yeah, I do kinda "hate."
Let’s see how you like it after the honeymoon phase - after 6 months I hung in there, convinced myself it was worth it, then realized I can’t relate to this metro area. I stood out like a sore thumb but I accepted my experience. That’s not to say Denver is a great place to live compared to many areas of the country, but I guess I got too used to life in CA before I moved there.

Maybe these forums can use “constructive criticism” to help improve the city, bc we all know DEN has it’s obvious ills but it’s hiding behind a marketing platform. It’s sad really bc I feel like native CO ppl are tough folks but you have this real estate mongering population filled with spoiled trust fund babies, panhandlers, SJWs, and hipsters. It’s totally true, you can’t deny this. Just go on spellings best places to live and read about DEN as a 2 star city instead of posting crap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2018, 06:24 AM

14,115 posts, read 20,814,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
For anyone reading this, middle-class suburban Denver isn't ALL exorbitantly priced, but -- of course -- what is over-priced and what is desirable is largely a matter of opinion. I have a Littleton address (80127) and there are currently about 50 single family houses listed for under $500k -- and about 15 of these under $400K -- according to realtor.com:

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean.../sby-2?pgsz=50

$500k is still out of reach for a lot of people. That's 100k down you've got to have in order not to have PMI.

Old 02-16-2018, 07:26 AM

384 posts, read 213,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDoo342 View Post
So funny to read this, my buddy who just moved from Denver to south florida just said the same about Denver. He said give it a few years and the Denver bubble will burst.. He also said the same thing about DC.

Now places like the coastal northeast from New York to Boston and California, which have generally been steadily insanely expensive, will fare far better. Same with traditionally affordable places like Dallas/Phoenix/Atlanta.

https://www.hsh.com/monthly-mortgage-rates.html
Your friend is probably right. We had historically low interest rates for years. This is not the norm. If I were OP I would wait unless he has cash and plans to stay put for years.

Old 02-16-2018, 07:49 AM

6,388 posts, read 1,267,908 times
Quite a few more under-$500K home have just been listed! (My previous link is not what I meant to list -- sorry!)

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean.../sby-1?pgsz=50

Old 02-16-2018, 08:38 AM

12,243 posts, read 8,029,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N610DL View Post
Letís see how you like it after the honeymoon phase - after 6 months I hung in there, convinced myself it was worth it, then realized I canít relate to this metro area. I stood out like a sore thumb but I accepted my experience. Thatís not to say Denver is a great place to live compared to many areas of the country, but I guess I got too used to life in CA before I moved there.

Maybe these forums can use ďconstructive criticismĒ to help improve the city, bc we all know DEN has itís obvious ills but itís hiding behind a marketing platform. Itís sad really bc I feel like native CO ppl are tough folks but you have this real estate mongering population filled with spoiled trust fund babies, panhandlers, SJWs, and hipsters. Itís totally true, you canít deny this. Just go on spellings best places to live and read about DEN as a 2 star city instead of posting crap.
I grew up in California and didn't leave until I was 28. I loved it and I truly miss it. I grew up living the surfer lifestyle and if I could have afforded a house in San Diego I would still be living that lifestyle. I have been coming to Colorado for vacations and little visits since I was toddler because I have family here. Moving here in 1999 was easy for me and felt like I fit in right away. The Denver Metro world was a completely different scene back then.

We get it, Denver isn't for everyone. You didn't fit in and it wasn't your style. Los Angeles is a completely different beast from Denver. Los Angeles is a completely different beast from San Diego. I know that from living near it for so long. Moving from San Diego to Denver was an easy transition because I feel that both cities have the same laid back type of attitude.

I used to work in the mortgage and real estate world. By no means am I an expert but I still have a lot of friends in it that are realtors, agents, appraisers and mortgage brokers. None of them believe we are in a bubble but they all agree it will slow down and level off soon, meaning in the next 3 to 4 years.

Some of your posts just sound like you are hoping this place implodes. That doesn't sit well with people that have lived here their whole life or to transplants that have made this their forever home. You sound young so you have a lot of time to continue searching for that place that fits you perfectly. Good luck.

Old 02-16-2018, 10:05 AM

952 posts, read 513,593 times
Quote:
Let’s see how you like it after the honeymoon phase - after 6 months I hung in there, convinced myself it was worth it, then realized I can’t relate to this metro area. I stood out like a sore thumb but I accepted my experience. That’s not to say Denver is a great place to live compared to many areas of the country, but I guess I got too used to life in CA before I moved there.

Maybe these forums can use “constructive criticism” to help improve the city, bc we all know DEN has it’s obvious ills but it’s hiding behind a marketing platform. It’s sad really bc I feel like native CO ppl are tough folks but you have this real estate mongering population filled with spoiled trust fund babies, panhandlers, SJWs, and hipsters. It’s totally true, you can’t deny this. Just go on spellings best places to live and read about DEN as a 2 star city instead of posting crap.
SJWs...

We "tough native Colorado people" don't need your condescendingly misplaced sympathy.

Old 02-16-2018, 10:47 AM

20,929 posts, read 11,606,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by history nerd View Post
SJWs...

We "tough native Colorado people" don't need your condescendingly misplaced sympathy.
I'm not a native, but anytime we can run off someone who uses the term SJW is a good day to me. One fewer narrow minded bigot in Denver is just fine.

Old 02-16-2018, 01:26 PM

114 posts, read 55,163 times
Quote:
Just go on spellings best places to live and read about DEN as a 2 star city instead of posting crap.
I think you mean Sperlings Best Places? The people on that site rate every city poorly.

Old 02-16-2018, 01:56 PM

4,409 posts, read 2,609,508 times
My opinion from Seattle is that Denver has a good "brand" and people want to live there. Some like it and stay, and others don't, but the inflow is relatively continuous. That should keep values up. The exception would be a major localized industry bust (likely a moderate impact in a diversified economy), a national/international bust, or a bigger rise in interest rates. The world seems unstable right now and getting worse, but there's no mortgage bust equivalent pending.

BTW, on the "Denver is Seattle 10 years ago" comment: Sure, if Denver gets Amazon HQ2 maybe. Or two of them...Seattle is the result of three employers of that size or larger, including Microsoft and Boeing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or