Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2018, 07:39 AM

12,830 posts, read 9,547,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by N610DL View Post
I really don’t think so - high altitude affects lack of oxygen to the brain. Therefore someone with a lot of money will happily wave over an extra 55k for a bid to be complacent about having a home.

It’s a disgrace, people need to realize Denver isn’t paradise for an extended period of time. End of story.
Wasn't for you, but I love it here. Not my favorite city ever, but there is a lot to love here, and in your heart, you know that as well. You're in California, to me, that's the pinnacle of living, if you can afford it. So yes, Denver would trail California for me, but I think it's great here.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 02-15-2018 at 08:20 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2018, 08:21 AM

245 posts, read 323,792 times
Quote:
I really don’t think so - high altitude affects lack of oxygen to the brain. Therefore someone with a lot of money will happily wave over an extra 55k for a bid to be complacent about having a home.

It’s a disgrace, people need to realize Denver isn’t paradise for an extended period of time. End of story.
As was mentioned earlier, many times it is part of a selling strategy to drum up interest and create a bidding war. If comps in your hood are $350k and you price your home at $300k, of course it could easily go for $55k over asking. Now if people are paying $55k+ over the appraised value, that is potentially a different story.

Old 02-15-2018, 08:29 AM

12,830 posts, read 9,547,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
The Dallas house is in a pretty craptastic area. Wilmer-Hutchins, Balch Springs, and Seagoville are white trash central. That same house would probably be $350k+ in Plano or McKinney. I personally am not a fan of that housing style. All-brick exterior with simple lines and a boring brick archway over the front door. That is the predominant design of newer DFW housing stock, and it's very cookie-cutter.
Oh sure, I think the Aurora house was craptastic as well. I could live in that Dallas house though. My point is Denver is still more expensive than DFW. They just have a ton of land and stock.

Old 02-15-2018, 08:53 AM

245 posts, read 323,792 times
The median home price in DFW is about $250k.

The median home price in Denver is about $400k.

Denver's problem is that a starter home will cost you $300k+. A "nice" home in Dallas probably isn't that much cheaper than Denver but there is just virtually nothing sub 300k in Denver.

Old 02-15-2018, 08:59 AM

8,604 posts, read 14,885,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBound41 View Post
The median home price in DFW is about $250k.

The median home price in Denver is about $400k.

Denver's problem is that a starter home will cost you $300k+. A "nice" home in Dallas probably isn't that much cheaper than Denver but there is just virtually nothing sub 300k in Denver.
DFW's median numbers are skewed by the less-than-desirable areas. You can buy a spiffy new house in a dumpy area like Wilmer for $180k, but if you want a starter house in a desirable area with good schools you're gonna pay > $300k.

Old 02-15-2018, 09:31 AM

1,849 posts, read 1,808,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBound41 View Post
As was mentioned earlier, many times it is part of a selling strategy to drum up interest and create a bidding war. If comps in your hood are $350k and you price your home at $300k, of course it could easily go for $55k over asking. Now if people are paying $55k+ over the appraised value, that is potentially a different story.
But like I said, if (and a big if) those 55K over offers are actually happening, why are people doing just this? It just seems so overhyped and desperate.

Old 02-15-2018, 09:34 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,199,670 times
Quote:
But like I said, if (and a big if) those 55K over offers are actually happening, why are people doing just this? It just seems so overhyped and desperate.
Desperate? Kind of like your desperate incessant hating on Denver? That kind of desperate? Let it go already. We get it. You don't like Denver. Some people do. Time to move on.

Old 02-15-2018, 09:43 AM

8,712 posts, read 6,756,695 times
Quote:
As others have said, you can stop shouting out reasons why Denver sux - even in a relatively short tenure here, I got it, I got it.

But overbidding happens in every hot market, whether it's a neighborhood, a development, a city or a region. Asking "why" is a supremely ignorant question with easy answers for anyone who understands a limited market coveted by more buyers than there are sellers.

So why is it like that here? Because 3 million people like living in a sucky, boring, midwesternish city in the middle of nowhere, that's why.

Old 02-15-2018, 10:01 AM

1,849 posts, read 1,808,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
As others have said, you can stop shouting out reasons why Denver sux - even in a relatively short tenure here, I got it, I got it.

But overbidding happens in every hot market, whether it's a neighborhood, a development, a city or a region. Asking "why" is a supremely ignorant question with easy answers for anyone who understands a limited market coveted by more buyers than there are sellers.

So why is it like that here? Because 3 million people like living in a sucky, boring, midwesternish city in the middle of nowhere, that's why.
Wow - you need to stop putting words in my mouth. As soon as a said "Queen City of the Plains" which is actually on wikipedia as a slang term for the city itself, it opened up a can of worms.

Can I ask you a question? I grew up in NJ, which is always picked on by people as being a toxic waste dump (even people from other parts of the Northeast do so.) I current live in Los Angeles, which in Denver people stereotyped as being too big and having lots of traffic. I let the insults roll off when I hear it.

So why is it when I give Denver a little bit of criticism people get so freaking butt hurt on these forums? You do realize that is as unrealistic as is the real estate market. And I never ever said "Denver Sucks." You just did though.

Old 02-15-2018, 10:03 AM

12,566 posts, read 10,614,108 times
So cliche but it is just simple supply and demand. The supply is low and the demand is high so the values go up. I don't see that changing any time soon and it certainly is not a bubble. The only way I see a possible bubble burst is if we have a mass exodus out of the metro area or the entire country has a melt down. I believe there are still more people moving here than moving away.

As a homeowner I want the values to continue to rise for selfish reasons but I also wouldn't mind them leveling out so younger people can get into a home without breaking the bank. I couldn't buy in San Diego which is why I moved here in 1999. Now the same thing is happening here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver