U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2018, 10:05 AM

12,293 posts, read 8,101,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
As others have said, you can stop shouting out reasons why Denver sux - even in a relatively short tenure here, I got it, I got it.

But overbidding happens in every hot market, whether it's a neighborhood, a development, a city or a region. Asking "why" is a supremely ignorant question with easy answers for anyone who understands a limited market coveted by more buyers than there are sellers.

So why is it like that here? Because 3 million people like living in a sucky, boring, midwesternish city in the middle of nowhere, that's why.
I truly sucks here. It sucks so much that I haven't left in 19 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2018, 11:07 AM

8,669 posts, read 3,067,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N610DL View Post
Wow - you need to stop putting words in my mouth. As soon as a said "Queen City of the Plains" which is actually on wikipedia as a slang term for the city itself, it opened up a can of worms.
Sonny boy, I am soooooo old I actually heard the term in the wild. (In an eye-rolling argument about Denver being in the mountains.)

Quote:
So why is it when I give Denver a little bit of criticism people get so freaking butt hurt on these forums?
Because you go on and on and on with it. It's like someone making smog jokes every day in the LA forum, or Sopranos references every day in the Joisey forum, or... someone using Connecticut as the butt of a joke in the New Yawk forum, every freakin' day.

You were here. You hated it. You left. We got it. I just came here *on a free ticket to Anywheresville, USA (and beyond).* So did quite a few others. That you disliked it, for your continually stated reasons, is your problem. Not ours.

Old 02-15-2018, 11:24 AM

1,791 posts, read 1,141,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
You were here. You hated it. You left. We got it. I just came here *on a free ticket to Anywheresville, USA (and beyond).* So did quite a few others. That you disliked it, for your continually stated reasons, is your problem. Not ours.
I repeat - I have never ever said I hated Denver. I specifically said I don't want to be in Denver full-time, and it has issues with it's expansion problems as a city.

"That is your problem, not ours." Nice job representing that cliquey Denver attitude. Tribal mindset, I don't buy it.

Old 02-15-2018, 11:32 AM

2,243 posts, read 943,532 times
Can we not all acknowledge that while the Denver real estate market is greatly benefiting some, it is also creating hurdles for others? And that while not a problem for some, it is a problem for many that we should all advocate for fixing?

While I do benefit from the appreciation of my property value, I agree that the government needs to work for the people in establishing a more viable lower-middle class and middle class housing market. If you want someone to be responsible for this, don't blame the consumers who help to drive up prices. They're just making decisions that benefit them and their families. If someone is to make this better, the government needs to work with developers to incentivize the creation of a market that suits "average" buyers like you and me.

Old 02-15-2018, 11:57 AM

170 posts, read 183,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left-handed View Post
Can we not all acknowledge that while the Denver real estate market is greatly benefiting some, it is also creating hurdles for others? And that while not a problem for some, it is a problem for many that we should all advocate for fixing?

While I do benefit from the appreciation of my property value, I agree that the government needs to work for the people in establishing a more viable lower-middle class and middle class housing market. If you want someone to be responsible for this, don't blame the consumers who help to drive up prices. They're just making decisions that benefit them and their families. If someone is to make this better, the government needs to work with developers to incentivize the creation of a market that suits "average" buyers like you and me.
I agree with this just because the prices are high it doesn't necessarily justify them being as high as they are since most people that are buying need to buy based on their circumstances and they have to stretch their budgets to make it work which in turn puts pressure on these families that buy because of the very high monthly payments. This in turn can effect the local economy since they won't have that much money left over to spend on other activities. The biggest hurdle is the low housing inventory which is keeping prices elevated and the demand and supply equation out of balance.
It is also making it very difficult for a first time home-buyer to buy a place.
The following is an article I found that shows that Denver is the worst place in the country to be a first time homebuyer.

https://www.thedenverchannel.com/lif...time-homebuyer

Old 02-15-2018, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pesare View Post
The following is an article I found that shows that Denver is the worst place in the country to be a first time homebuyer.

https://www.thedenverchannel.com/lif...time-homebuyer
If I were a first time home buyer, I wouldn't even be trying in Denver. unless I was cash rich (looking at all those pot business owners). When I was looking last summer, the crappiest little ranch houses in the crappiest (oh, sorry, gentrifying) neighborhoods of Denver were pushing $350k. Next on the list were townhomes, which were pushing $300k. HOA fees varied from $200/mo to $400/mo, so further limits what you can afford in a monthly payment. Next were the condos, which ranged from $175k to $250k depending on location and size. HOA fees ranged from $200/mo to over $500/mo. So again, it limits what you can afford. With about 16% down, all the condos/townhomes I looked at (2BR+/2BA+) were coming in around $1400-$1500/mo payments. That's a lot of money for most people. Fortunately, we are DINKs with some additional rental support, so $1500/mo is reasonable. But if you're a single, first time buyer, there is very little market for you.

Old 02-15-2018, 12:59 PM

8,669 posts, read 3,067,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N610DL View Post
I repeat - I have never ever said I hated Denver. I specifically said I don't want to be in Denver full-time, and it has issues with it's expansion problems as a city.
Even in only about six months on here, that's definitely the impression I've received. So you never used the word, or the phrase - just go on about how awful it is to live here. Samee samee, IMHO.

Quote:
"That is your problem, not ours." Nice job representing that cliquey Denver attitude. Tribal mindset, I don't buy it.
And there it is again - "Denver is filled with sucky, cliquey, tribal people." Nothing to hate there.

I'm new here, don't live in Denver and frankly have been a little home-focused so far. My comment has nothing to do with being a Front Ranger, and everything to do with people online who never shut up about how bad ______ is... in a forum devoted to _______. That, yeah, I do kinda "hate."

Old 02-15-2018, 01:02 PM

6,631 posts, read 1,367,599 times
For anyone reading this, middle-class suburban Denver isn't ALL exorbitantly priced, but -- of course -- what is over-priced and what is desirable is largely a matter of opinion. I have a Littleton address (80127) and there are currently about 50 single family houses listed for under $500k -- and about 15 of these under $400K -- according to realtor.com:

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean.../sby-2?pgsz=50

Last edited by katharsis; 02-15-2018 at 01:14 PM..

Old 02-15-2018, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
For anyone reading this, middle-class suburban Denver isn't ALL exorbitantly priced, but -- of course -- what is over-priced and what is desirable is largely a matter of opinion. I have a Littleton address (80127) and there are currently about 50 single family houses listed for under $500k -- and about 15 of these under $400K -- according to realtor.com:

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean.../sby-2?pgsz=50
I'll bite. Even $375k is not cheap for a first time home buyer with little equity to dump into a new purchase.

Old 02-15-2018, 01:58 PM

6,631 posts, read 1,367,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left-handed View Post
I'll bite. Even $375k is not cheap for a first time home buyer with little equity to dump into a new purchase.
Oh, yes -- you said it!

And although our situation doesn't fall in that category, we are currently looking for a retirement home out-of-state for about $300k, and we are having a LOT of difficulty in finding what we want for that price. (A two-bedroom "open concept" home on a wooded lot with a lake view in a New England-type climate that isn't in a VERY economically depressed area. And, yeah, I can just hear everyone reading this thinking, "Well, good luck with that, LOL!")

All I was saying, though, was that in reading some of the posts, people might be led to think that there wasn't anything "decent" in a single family HOUSE for under $700k in the Denver area, and that just isn't true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or