U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-25-2018, 05:25 PM
 
3,115 posts, read 3,857,266 times
Reputation: 2842

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
Xanathos wrote: "It's sad that basically all planned development communities tack on deed restrictions to the development in an effort to generate a passive revenue source after completion in the form of HoA taxes. I'd have paid extra to not have to deal with it."

Since you apparently have the affluence to play in the high 6-figure real estate league ...

Why did you bother to buy into an HOA subdivision when you apparently see them as nothing more than an ongoing tax for the pleasure of owning the real estate?

As you say ... "I'd have paid extra to not have to deal with it". So why didn't you?

Go on Zillow right now. Filter houses $650,000-$900,000, by 5,000+ square feet (hell, make it 4,000, it won't make any difference), built in 2000 or later, in the southeast portion of the metro area (very specific strategic reason for that in that my employer might very well be setting up shop in Denver in the future and that's where they would put it). And then manually filter by no HoA (Zillow doesn't have this feature, so you have to click through to see).

Know what you won't see? A single red dot. Not one. We had our realtor scour for that for awhile, it's just not a thing up there. Which is stupid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-25-2018, 05:43 PM
 
2,514 posts, read 3,494,166 times
Reputation: 5069
While I can't answer your question regarding HOAs the geothermal heat pump sounds cool. How much does something like that cost? What size (how much BTU capacity) are you putting in? How do you later hook it up to do snow melt (do you build the extra capacity in now or add it on later)? Do you have to dig up the concrete and lay hydronic pipes then install new concrete? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-25-2018, 06:12 PM
 
Location: Aurora Denveralis
8,245 posts, read 2,885,539 times
Reputation: 12328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
Know what you won't see? A single red dot. Not one. We had our realtor scour for that for awhile, it's just not a thing up there. Which is stupid.
So you hadda hadda buy a house in an HOA? How sad. That doesn't entitle you to say "eff your stupid rules" and be the absentee a**hole here. I am not sure why you're having trouble grasping this.

You want to bwitch about HOAs in general, or this one in particular? Fine. Many of us are with you on that. But it's not like it snuck up and bit you on the azz unawares, nor (it seems) that you did not expect to do large, dirty, ugly renovation projects (which makes your whining about buying an older house a little off-key).

You bought into the rules, cooperate with the rules - not because of the $200 fine or the junior nazi running the HOA, but because every other person in that HOA expects you to, and you knew that would be the case.

Or sell and move on. No third option here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-25-2018, 08:40 PM
 
11,256 posts, read 43,268,721 times
Reputation: 14911
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
Know what you won't see? A single red dot. Not one. We had our realtor scour for that for awhile, it's just not a thing up there. Which is stupid.
I can't help but laugh ... know what's really pathetic, or, in your word, "stupid"?

Nobody forced you to buy an HOA covenant controlled property where it appears to be a real "deal breaker" for you to have an HOA oversight/tax on your real estate.

Last edited by sunsprit; 02-25-2018 at 09:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-25-2018, 08:52 PM
 
Location: In The Thin Air
12,268 posts, read 8,057,703 times
Reputation: 8911
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-25-2018, 09:07 PM
Status: "Summer!" (set 3 days ago)
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
86,920 posts, read 102,401,145 times
Reputation: 32974
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
You need a lawyer.
I have used this one with HOA docs.
https://www.yelp.com/biz/andrew-oh-willeke-denver
Bookmarking for future needs. We don't have an HOA, but DD does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2018, 05:18 AM
 
Location: Colorado Springs
4,802 posts, read 4,915,634 times
Reputation: 17187
Interesting thread. It's all about power and the disgust of being controlled. OP: I feel your pain.

I actually share the OP's disdain of power hungry HOAs. I was in one community like that and the HOA commanders were ex military colonels. They had retired to a new command. I got a letter from them because my lawn had too many dandelions!

So I fertilized it.

My new area was built in 1992 and we don't have an HOA. We have very few problems; the biggest thing people might harp about is that some folks park boats or RV's on the side of the house. Fortunately, the houses have sufficient spacing to make that possible without creating an eyesore.

One think I've noticed is that nobody moves out. Perhaps the thought of submitting to an HOA is one factor that makes them stay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2018, 06:11 AM
 
Location: Highlands Ranch, CO
556 posts, read 576,467 times
Reputation: 837
I suppose I've been fortunate because out HOA folks haven't been unreasonable at all (although we haven't made any unreasonable requests either). I've seen a lot of bon HOA neighborhoods and a good portion look like crap to me. Lots of junk in front yards, busted cars in driveways, needs for repairs to fencing and paint everywhere. It makes the neighborhoods look old and tired which I can't imagine is good for property values. I suppose it also just bothers me that people don't take pride in their home and want it to look nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2018, 06:26 AM
 
579 posts, read 287,296 times
Reputation: 871
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyatwork37 View Post
I suppose I've been fortunate because out HOA folks haven't been unreasonable at all (although we haven't made any unreasonable requests either). I've seen a lot of bon HOA neighborhoods and a good portion look like crap to me. Lots of junk in front yards, busted cars in driveways, needs for repairs to fencing and paint everywhere. It makes the neighborhoods look old and tired which I can't imagine is good for property values. I suppose it also just bothers me that people don't take pride in their home and want it to look nice.
This is exactly why I'd love to be in an HOA- you go through some neighborhoods and think "must be a lot of renters- this place is a dump!" then find out from the assessor web site they are owner-occupied homes.

A lot of people have a hard enough time begging friends/relatives for the minimum 3% down payment (way too low in my opinion) on a $500k house, then forget that there will be maintenance costs as a homeowner.

What are you going to do about paint/trim after a hail storm? Fence blow down in the wind? Did your hot water heater go out?

If you can not afford to maintain a house then please keep renting- your neighbors that care about their house values will appreciate it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2018, 08:05 AM
 
2,074 posts, read 1,818,308 times
Reputation: 1950
OP-

I have a lot of experience with HOAs, and I have to bluntly tell you that you won't win. This will snowball and eventually you will "kiss the ring". It might be because of pending legal fees or when you sell the house, but they hold all the power in this situation.

My advice is to turn this over to a spouse or other family member and ask them to deal with the HOA because it angers you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:57 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top