U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2018, 08:08 AM

21,001 posts, read 11,624,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHP View Post
No way to pre-register your vehicle. Bringing one in from out of state with temp tags, you may need to get a vin inspection at a State Patrol office, take that document with your out of state documents and insurance card to the DMV, and should be able to get your tags and plates on the spot.
If you also need to have the vehicle inspected, the ACC places also do VIN checks.

Air Care Colorado :: Home
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2018, 12:01 PM

75 posts, read 264,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
If you also need to have the vehicle inspected, the ACC places also do VIN checks.

Air Care Colorado :: Home

The car will be a 2016 or 2017 so it will be exempt I thought, no?

Old 03-27-2018, 08:57 AM

22,729 posts, read 16,180,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAAFTERHOURS View Post
Not exempt if the title originates in another state:

https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/dmv/out-state-titles

Old 03-27-2018, 09:41 AM

21,001 posts, read 11,624,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post

I think that is just saying the same thing I had said, that the emission stations can also do the VIN check. I didn't know what year car it was but if you need both emissions and VIN, you can do them both at the same place. Or if you happen to have an emissions place nearby, you can still just go there for the VIN check I think. As long as you don't go at the end of the month, they are usually not all that crowded.

As for whether or not the emissions test is needed, I would think that still goes by the year of the vehicle even for an out of state car being registered here, but I'm certainly not an expert on that. I just knew about the VIN check at ACC because that's what I did when I moved here.

Old 03-27-2018, 11:16 AM

5,194 posts, read 8,318,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAAFTERHOURS View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post

Newer cars are exempt from an Emissions Inspection for up to 7 years.

Air Care Colorado :: Change of Ownership

VIN inspection is required for all out of state cars.

Old 03-27-2018, 12:21 PM

8,091 posts, read 2,824,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I think that is just saying the same thing I had said, that the emission stations can also do the VIN check.
Highly, highly recommended. Costs a little more ($20 vs $12, I think) but I've heard it's a huge PITA at the DMV - they won't go out and do them in inclement weather, which sometimes means "clouds."

Old 03-27-2018, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Highly, highly recommended. Costs a little more ($20 vs $12, I think) but I've heard it's a huge PITA at the DMV - they won't go out and do them in inclement weather, which sometimes means "clouds."
VIN can also be checked by local police or sheriff, sometimes at no cost.

"fill out the Verification of Vehicle Identification Number form, completed by either:
  • A Colorado law enforcement officer
  • A licensed Colorado motor vehicle dealer
  • A licensed Colorado emissions testing station "

Old 03-27-2018, 06:46 PM

8,091 posts, read 2,824,222 times
Which all brings up another question that no level of searching CO/DMV for Arapahoe county will answer...

If you buy a used vehicle from a dealer, who is responsible for emissions testing? If they sent in all the title info and issued paper tags, has the vehicle been given an emissions certification, or do we have to go get one before going in for the permanent plates?

And if the vehicle fails to pass, is the dealer liable for correcting the problem?

(Really, this should be somewhere in the paperwork or on DMV's site, but it's just Another Colorado Mystery...)

Old 03-27-2018, 09:03 PM

Default Emissions Testing at time of sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Which all brings up another question that no level of searching CO/DMV for Arapahoe county will answer...

If you buy a used vehicle from a dealer, who is responsible for emissions testing? If they sent in all the title info and issued paper tags, has the vehicle been given an emissions certification, or do we have to go get one before going in for the permanent plates?

And if the vehicle fails to pass, is the dealer liable for correcting the problem?

(Really, this should be somewhere in the paperwork or on DMV's site, but it's just Another Colorado Mystery...)
AirCare's web site has this to say:

"It is the seller's responsibility to obtain the inspection. This is a consumer protection for the buyer. The seller must provide the emissions inspection paperwork to the buyer for vehicle registration purposes. The buyer must use this paperwork to register the vehicle within one year. A vehicle dealer may offer customers a voucher enabling the buyer to obtain an inspection for free. The customer has the right to refuse this arrangement.

If you purchased a vehicle from a dealer and used a dealer voucher to obtain an inspection, and the vehicle failed the test, access our Dealer Information."

CO DMV at https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/dmv/gas-vehicles says:

• "The seller is required to provide the buyer with a passing emissions test at the time of sale.
  • Colorado dealers are required to provide a passing emissions test or a voucher good for one emissions test at the time of sale.
  • C.R.S. 42-4-310"

Old 03-28-2018, 07:26 AM

22,729 posts, read 16,180,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
Newer cars are exempt from an Emissions Inspection for up to 7 years.

VIN inspection is required for all out of state cars.
I had a four year old car when I moved here from New Mexico five years ago.
Still had to have it emissions tested before I could register it the first time.
Maybe the rules have changed since then.

Two years later, only had to do the "dash" test, which in and of itself is ridiculous, but I digress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or