U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 03-27-2008, 08:47 AM

9,012 posts, read 10,497,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RATT View Post
People who think that Denver as harsh and difficult winters have absolutly no idea of what they speak off.You should be grateful that you leave in a area that as 4 seasons witch include mild and temperate winters,that are fallowed by hot but pleasantly dry and comfortable summers!!What more do you want for crying out loud!!!
Here in the hell hole of Montreal where i live we get 200inch. of snow per year,the average temp. in Dec.,Jan.,Feb,Mar. are 28F,23F,21F and 32F respectively.However in these averages you will find built-in a minimum of 21 days in dec-jan-feb that are of the sub-zero kind meaning anywhere between 0F to-10F...REMEMBER YOUR FREEZER IS AT -04F!!!
In Denver the average temperature for Dec.,Jan.,Feb.,Mar. is:44F,44F,47F,54F,with 55inch. of snow per year,witch never remain on the ground because the temperatures are to warm!!!also many of the days in Denver FROM dec. to Feb. are in the 50'sF!!!
These barbaric winter temperature the we endure on a yearly basis here in eastern Canada are fallowed quickly afterwards by another kind of hell in the form of those disgusting northeastern summers,where the temperatures are in the 80' and mid-90's but when you factor in that crappy,sticky,dirty,smelly and muggy humid air the temp can reach 104f to 108f with the heat index.
If only for the weather alone Denver is paradise for me but when you factor in the superb ladies,the GORGEOUS SCENERY and the great restaurants one can only wonder why,would someone ever bash a place like that?!!
I've always wanted to visit Montreal, but not in winter. I love Canada, but I'd have to become an alcoholic to make it through winter!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 03-27-2008, 10:06 AM

9 posts, read 13,572 times
Default Weather Data

Hi, sephstrom

Here's what you need to know about Denver (I'm a meteorologist, so consider me a reliable source; this is straight from the NWS web site):

Highest temp in Denver history: 105 deg F
Lowest temp in Denver history: -29 deg F
January avg max/min temp: 43.2/15.2 deg F
July avg max/min temp: 88.0/58.7 deg F
Average annual rainfall: 15.81 inches (semi-arid climate)
Average date of first snow: October 19th
Average date of last snow: April 27th
Average seasonal snowfall: 61.7 inches
Seasonal Snowfall Last 10 Years:
72.6 inches 2006-2007
30.4 inches 2005-2006
39.3 inches 2004-2005
38.0 inches 2003-2004
61.8 inches 2002-2003
30.2 inches 2001-2002
58.3 inches 2000-2001
45.6 inches 1999-2000
44.5 inches 1998-1999
72.1 inches 1997-1998

The reason you heard so much complaining about last year's snow is because it was our snowiest year in nine years. In December and January of last year, we had two snow storms right in a row that dumped anywhere from 20 to 40 inches onto the Denver Metro area. We came two days away from setting a record for the longest time of actually having measurable snow on the ground (somewhere around 65 days). Coloradoans complained about this simply because they're not used to it (We're used to the snow melting one to two days after it snows). You, being from Chicago, probably wouldn't have minded it much.

I grew up living all over the country: Oklahoma, Oregon, Upstate New York, Texas, Florida...all over, so I've had some experiences with different climates. Large snow storms in Upstate is part of life; if that happens in Oklahoma, the whole state shuts down. If you're from Chicago, and your fiance's from Texas, I think Denver would be a good fit for you guys. For example, yesterday's high was 72 degrees while right now, I'm looking out my the window, and it's snowing. Some of the best snowboarding on the planet is here, but don't be fooled: it's about 45 min to 1.5 hrs to most ski resorts. I ski at Copper and live downtown. It takes me anywhere from 1 to 2 hrs to get there, depending on the traffic. If you're interested in living near the mountains in the city, I'd suggest the west side of town: Lakewood, Arvada, southern Westminster, etc.

Also, as far as the graphic design thing, I have three young friends (mid 20s) who just finished getting their degrees in graphic design and have pretty good jobs doing graphic design. It's like any other job; you have to be motivated.

Last edited by All_Over_Guy; 03-27-2008 at 10:14 AM..

Unread 03-27-2008, 10:12 AM

65,646 posts, read 51,968,470 times
Thanks for posting those stats, All_Over_Guy. I think it puts the Denver snow situation into perspective. I thought the record high ever was 108, set a couple years ago? Last summer, we did not have a day over 100 all season up here in Boulder County.

As for the graphic arts/jobs issue, motivation is a part of the equation. Luck, karma, whatever you want to call it, plays a part as well.

Unread 03-27-2008, 10:14 AM

65,646 posts, read 51,968,470 times
Thanks for posting those stats, All_Over_Guy. I think it puts the Denver snow situation into perspective. I thought the record high ever was 108, set a couple years ago? Last summer, we did not have a day over 100 all season up here in Boulder County.

As for the graphic arts/jobs issue, motivation is a part of the equation. Luck, karma, whatever you want to call it, plays a part as well.

Also, take a look at this thread:
job market?

Unread 03-27-2008, 10:32 AM

26,365 posts, read 49,372,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All_Over_Guy View Post
HSeasonal Snowfall Last 10 Years:
72.6 inches 2006-2007
30.4 inches 2005-2006
39.3 inches 2004-2005
38.0 inches 2003-2004
61.8 inches 2002-2003
30.2 inches 2001-2002
58.3 inches 2000-2001
45.6 inches 1999-2000
44.5 inches 1998-1999
72.1 inches 1997-1998

The reason you heard so much complaining about last year's snow is because it was our snowiest year in nine years.
Not just the snowiest year; Had Denver received 100 inches instead of 70 and most of it had fallen in March & April, I'd bet it would have been less noteworthy.

It was the timing of the snow. If the bulk of that snow had fallen in March/April it would have had much less of an impact as it would have melted much faster. Last year the bulk of the snow fell during the coldest, darkest, lowest sun angle time of the year and it stayed around a long time (like was mentioned).

Unread 03-27-2008, 10:54 AM

Excellent point, Charles. Timing was a huge contributing factor with this storm. Also, had the year continued as a normal year, we would have received considerably more. We just hardly received anything in March, which is normally our snowiest month (avg 11.7 inches). I'd also like to clarify that last year doesn't even rank in the top ten for snowiest seasons, but it was the most in the last ten years.

Unread 03-27-2008, 11:08 AM

2,267 posts, read 3,487,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All_Over_Guy View Post
Excellent point, Charles. Timing was a huge contributing factor with this storm. Also, had the year continued as a normal year, we would have received considerably more. We just hardly received anything in March, which is normally our snowiest month (avg 11.7 inches). I'd also like to clarify that last year doesn't even rank in the top ten for snowiest seasons, but it was the most in the last ten years.
One question for clarification; in your annual statistics, you have Average annual rainfall: 15.81 inches (semi-arid climate).

Is that actually the average for rainfall, or is it for average annual precipitation (including rainfall and the moisture content of snow.)?

Unread 03-27-2008, 11:19 AM

It is average annual precip (the latter of your suggestions). Whenever you talk about annual rainfall, it's generally assumed liquid water equivalent (lwe).

Unread 03-28-2008, 07:21 PM

119 posts, read 206,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I've always wanted to visit Montreal. I love Canada!
denverian,you are not missing much let me tell you,Montreal is nothing more than a cheap and small time party town,where the kid from the border states of northern New-York(plattsburgh area),Vermont and New Hampshire whom are not allowed to enter liscense establishments until the age of 21 comes too ,in order to drink their asses off and get lap dances in the sleazy strip joints witch this hell hole is famous for and that's it!!!.
Montreal is known by many has being nothing more than "the Tijuana of the north".Also remember even if these French canadien imbeciles are surrounded by English speaking people and that they are YEARNING for american and Canadian tourism THEY STRICTLY PROHIBIT ANY ENGLISH SIGN OR ANY KIND OF ENGLISH INFORMATION TO BE OFFERED ANYWHERE in the province.They call that law Bill 101 and it is their pride and joy??!!!
If you want to see canada in all of it's glory than please do yourself a favor and go to Toronto,Vancouver and the interior of British Columbia specifically to a region called the okonagan valley witch it Canada's answer to the California's Nappa Valley.

Unread 03-29-2008, 08:09 AM

8,214 posts, read 17,071,945 times
This March might go down in history of being the least snowiest month.

I thought it was, "In like a lamb; out like a lion."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver