Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 10:59 AM

17 posts, read 47,445 times

Advertisements

Hey guys Im actually considering moving to the Denver area. Im trying to get a feel to see if its the right place for my fiance and I. I originally was considering Maine, but she is going to school for graphic design and there isnt a huge market for that there, but there is in CO. Im flipping through some of the forums and notice that so many people are complaining or not liking the snow. We live in Dallas, TX right now, shes a texan but ive only been here 4 years. Im from Chicago. I have always wanted to live somewhere on the colder side and with as much snow as possible, big snow boarder over here . Its sounding like it would be a good fit for us but I just wanted to get some feedback. Thanks guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2008, 11:07 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,658,815 times
It depends what you grow up with. If you grow up in a warm climate and never see snow, you spend much time wishing you had snow. If you grow up with snow, you never want to see it ever again. That is me. I grew up in the north east and we called it Mother Nature puking on us.

Just 2 weekends ago we were RVing in Southern Utah and got caught in that blizzard. We were snowed in the campground for a day and a half. $40 worth of Propane later just to keep warm we were outta there.

This was the first time I saw snow in about 12 years. I hated it growing up and I hate it more now.

When I left the northeast I promised myself I would never shovel snow for the rest of my life. I lied. At the campground I had a little garden shovel for digging while using our metal detector. I had to bend down on my knees to scrape, not shovel that white puke off the RV steps and a little cleared landing.

All we said all weekend is how can anyone live like this?

Good luck on your move...........

Old 03-25-2008, 11:44 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SephStrom View Post
I have always wanted to live somewhere on the colder side and with as much snow as possible,
Don't move to Denver; You'll be disappointed. The snow doesn't stay around that long. It melts too fast. You'll be stuck bike riding, playing tennis or golf, jogging, roller blading, etc.

Old 03-25-2008, 06:36 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Denver is not exactly the greatest place for graphic artists, either. One that I know is managing a Dairy Queen. There is a weather thread listed in the index. Take a look at it.

Old 03-25-2008, 11:42 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,310,736 times
I LOVE snow and icy cold weather (as long as it's not too windy)! After living in Phoenix the last 4 years I think I've gotten a lifetime dosage of heat! It sounds weird, I know, but I miss snow! I miss walking outside on a clear winter night and feeling it crisp and cold... burr! The kind of powdery snow that Colorado gets (most of the time at least, not to say that wet slushy snow doesn't happen too) is a gift, IMO. Driving in snow does suck, I will admit that. It does take special care. But I'd rather drive in snow than drive in sleet/ ice storms. BTW, desertsun41, you know the old joke about why God didn't create Texans to ski, right?

Old 03-25-2008, 11:55 PM

1,048 posts, read 4,345,696 times
Before I moved to CO, I heard many people say how bad it will be. The winters here are not bad at all. Yeah we do get a really bad storm every few years but other than that, most of it melts the next day and the road are clear. Yes, the morning commute IS bad but I would not complain about our snow at all.

This is from someone who LOVES snow (and all 4 seasons) which is why I love Colorado. Now Snow + Wind, that is not something I like.

Old 03-26-2008, 10:53 AM

49 posts, read 157,544 times
Coming from Michigan i think the Denver winters will be easy. I have 3 friends there already that pretty much confirmed this for me already. See you in June Denver. And of course if you want the snow, just drive 20 minutes into the mountains.

Old 03-26-2008, 02:46 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Sometimes you have to drive farther than that to see the snow. 20 min west of downtown won't even take you to Golden.

Old 03-26-2008, 09:05 PM

1,225 posts, read 4,922,389 times
Drive to Monument. I still have a 3' snow drift running through our yard. If you love snow move here. We moved from San Diego and I don't mind it a bit. The wind is another thing.

Quote:
I miss walking outside on a clear winter night and feeling it crisp and cold... burr!
Change that to morning, around 5:30, and I can relate. I usually walk our dog at daybreak and it's absolutely amazing. It was 37 this morning and I wore a sweatshirt, Levi's, and no gloves. If I was still in CA and it was 37, I'd have every jacket and sweatshirt I owned on.

Old 03-26-2008, 11:09 PM

119 posts, read 379,588 times
People who think that Denver as harsh and difficult winters have absolutly no idea of what they speak off.You should be grateful that you leave in a area that as 4 seasons witch include mild and temperate winters,that are fallowed by hot but pleasantly dry and comfortable summers!!What more do you want for crying out loud!!!
Here in the hell hole of Montreal where i live we get 200inch. of snow per year,the average temp. in Dec.,Jan.,Feb,Mar. are 28F,23F,21F and 32F respectively.However in these averages you will find built-in a minimum of 21 days in dec-jan-feb that are of the sub-zero kind meaning anywhere between 0F to-10F...REMEMBER YOUR FREEZER IS AT -04F!!!
In Denver the average temperature for Dec.,Jan.,Feb.,Mar. is:44F,44F,47F,54F,with 55inch. of snow per year,witch never remain on the ground because the temperatures are to warm!!!also many of the days in Denver FROM dec. to Feb. are in the 50'sF!!!
These barbaric winter temperature the we endure on a yearly basis here in eastern Canada are fallowed quickly afterwards by another kind of hell in the form of those disgusting northeastern summers,where the temperatures are in the 80' and mid-90's but when you factor in that crappy,sticky,dirty,smelly and muggy humid air the temp can reach 104f to 108f with the heat index.
If only for the weather alone Denver is paradise for me but when you factor in the superb ladies,the GORGEOUS SCENERY and the great restaurants one can only wonder why,would someone ever bash a place like that?!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver