U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2018, 10:33 AM

15 posts, read 23,412 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I have been thinking to move to Denver as I hear a lot of nice things about the city. I would be likely to work for U of Colorado (Aurora campus).

I am wondering does Denver get tons of snow in winter that makes daily commute a challenge (slippery road)? Is the public transport dependable? (i.e. if I were to live close to one so I would take public transport during winter months)

Any input is much appreciated!

P
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2018, 12:28 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,831,310 times
Denver gets a few snowstorms a year that cause difficult driving, but it's manageable. Think snow tires and driving slowly.

Public transportation is very reliable and can be a great way to commute.

Old 03-22-2018, 12:48 PM

Thanks for the information. I am glad there is public transportation to depend on When driving in snow becomes an issue.

I had lived in Madison, WI, the ice/snow accumulation only starts to melt may be some time in April.

Old 03-22-2018, 12:49 PM

123 posts, read 90,710 times
Be prepared for anything. It's 71 today and snow was being expected next Tuesday. Where are you moving from?

Old 03-22-2018, 12:57 PM

1,303 posts, read 434,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stats787 View Post
Thanks for the information. I am glad there is public transportation to depend on When driving in snow becomes an issue.

I had lived in Madison, WI, the ice/snow accumulation only starts to melt may be some time in April.
Snow isn't really an issue here. At least in the last 2 winters, we'll probably get snowfall 8-10 days of the year. Sometimes it's 2", other times it's 6". What's different is that it melts fast. For example, we got about 2" of snow last Sunday night. By Monday mid-morning, it was melted off all of the roads and by Tuesday mid-day, anywhere there was sun it was gone. By Wednesday it's pretty much all gone, including in the shadows.

The days we get 6" might stick around for a week, but it's usually mostly gone by then.

Old 03-22-2018, 01:16 PM

21,164 posts, read 11,768,218 times
Annual snowfall amounts vary wildly - in the last 10 years, it's been anywhere from about 20 inches total to 80 inches total.

But the big difference between Denver and most other snowy places is that after a day, maybe two, that is stormy and overcast, the sun comes out and the snow melts off. We typically do not have those mounds of dirty snowpack that last until June.

On the other hand, it's common to have snowfall in October and not at all unusual for there to be an April storm, or even into May. Spring can be more snowy than the Winter months.

Most people enjoy the weather here though - even cold days are far more pleasant to be out and about when the sun is out. 20 degrees on a sunny day in Denver feels nothing like 20 degrees in Wisconsin!

The Anshutz campus is an up and coming area, so you may be interested in living right in that vicinity if that's where you end up working.

Old 03-22-2018, 01:19 PM

86,990 posts, read 102,554,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Annual snowfall amounts vary wildly - in the last 10 years, it's been anywhere from about 20 inches total to 80 inches total.

But the big difference between Denver and most other snowy places is that after a day, maybe two, that is stormy and overcast, the sun comes out and the snow melts off. We typically do not have those mounds of dirty snowpack that last until June.

On the other hand, it's common to have snowfall in October and not at all unusual for there to be an April storm, or even into May. Spring can be more snowy than the Winter months.

Most people enjoy the weather here though - even cold days are far more pleasant to be out and about when the sun is out. 20 degrees on a sunny day in Denver feels nothing like 20 degrees in Wisconsin!

The Anshutz campus is an up and coming area, so you may be interested in living right in that vicinity if that's where you end up working.
Agree with all the above. I'm wondering, OP, do you mean the Auraria campus or the Aurora (Anschutz) campus?

Old 03-22-2018, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler21 View Post
Be prepared for anything. It's 71 today and snow was being expected next Tuesday. Where are you moving from?
I would move from Birmingham, AL.

As long as the snow melt quickly, it would be fine.

Old 03-22-2018, 01:23 PM

12,279 posts, read 8,084,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stats787 View Post
I would move from Birmingham, AL.

As long as the snow melt quickly, it would be fine.
You are in for a pleasant surprise when it comes to the weather here. It is nothing like Wisconsin.

Old 03-22-2018, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Agree with all the above. I'm wondering, OP, do you mean the Auraria campus or the Aurora (Anschutz) campus?

Anschutz campus.

The amount of Wisconsin snow is unbelievable...

Many thanks to all with the information. they are very helpful
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or