U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2018, 10:17 PM

2,493 posts, read 1,812,367 times

Advertisements

Hi,
m
I'm an active member in the Twin Cities forum (where I live), but I recently made the final round for a substantial promotion to transfer to the Denver area (working in Broomfield). I've been to Colorado several times, but it's been a decade, and I've always traveled as a tourist, never with the mindset of finding an area to live.

Details:
Wife will stay home with 2 kids (4yrs and 8 mos)
Area that is safe
Good schools, but they don't need to be "the best"
3+ bedroom house, probably will rent for the first year
Rental budget ($2K - $4k/mo), otherwise $300K - $650K if we were to buy
< 45 min commute
We like the best of both Urban and Suburban lifestyles. We like specialty coffee shops, independent restaurants, etc., but also occasionally shop at places like Target, Whole Foods, Trader Joes, etc.

We certainly don't need to live right in the heart of an urban area, but are there any neighborhoods in the city of Denver, or first ring suburbs that might still give us our hipster fix? I fly out for final interviews next week and I hope to tack on a day for neighborhood exploration.

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2018, 08:46 AM

3,883 posts, read 7,194,914 times
It sounds like the Berkeley neighborhood would be a very good fit. Tennyson St. is a cool area, and the big box stores are a few minutes away at Wadsworth and I-70. Your commute to Broomfield would be under 30 minutes most days.

Old 03-30-2018, 08:48 AM

403 posts, read 361,429 times
Ok I am making suggestions with your budget in mind first. I live on the North side of Denver and I certainly think you can find a good fit that gives you a commute that isn't too terrible.

Arvada - Areas of Arvada have better schools than others, the downtown area has that older feel with some original stores, bakery, breweries. Lots of things for kids to do during the year and your wife should be able to find plenty of activities so she doesn't go crazy (been there with younger kiddos)

Broomfield - Right now Broomfield is lacking that downtown area but they are building one. It does have Whole Foods, Target etc easily accessible. Mostly families in Broomfield, lots of parks, great rec center, trails and plenty of moms out and about.

Bradburn Neighborhood - 120th Ave and West of Federal Blvd is a planned neighborhood called Bradburn, it would be more towards the top of your budget for purchasing. They do have apartments/townhomes for rent. It has original stores including a delicious breakfast place, yoga studio, steakhouse etc and within walking distance of Whole Foods, Sprouts and other bigger chains. Community pools and trails right outside your door, lots of younger families.

Lafayette - A smaller town that would put you within that 45-minute commute, an older downtown area with original stores, breweries, a sweet ice cream place. Plenty of families. Great parks and open space, good schools. Going to put you closer to that mid to top range of your budget.

Louisville - A squeeze with the budget but it could be worth checking out while you are out looking. I think you would like the downtown area and the hipster/crunchier vibe. Great schools and lots of families as well.

I hope this helps, I am happy to expand on any of these if needed

Old 03-30-2018, 09:26 AM

23,282 posts, read 14,490,185 times
I'm not sure if it really counts as hipster but you could take a look at Stapleton. It's a planned urban community on the site of the former airport, and falls in between urban and suburban. Filled to bursting with young families. Part of the Denver Public Schools system but with excellent schools in this particular neighborhood. Houses are very close together with small yards, in favor of lots of public green space so people are out and about interacting with each other. Neighbors tend to socialize a lot with each other, esp. with little ones who hang out in a pack and play together. Multiple community pools throughout the area. The oldest houses are about a dozen years old, or you could even look into brand new construction if that was something that interests you.

There are some great independent shops and restaurants in South Stapleton but also an outdoor shopping center in North Stapleton with a Target, a small Macys and a mix of chain stores and restaurants and independent places too. You'd be under the 45 minute commute time you mentioned, and it also has good access to the airport if that's a factor.

I also love that we have very easy access to downtown Denver along along with the Science Museum and Zoo and other attractions for both kids and adults, which all become a much longer haul from the more suburban locations.

Old 03-30-2018, 09:51 AM

1,168 posts, read 801,423 times
If you’re working in Broomfield then Longmont would also be a good option. Longmont has cool historic downtown and good access to RMNP.

Old 03-30-2018, 10:32 AM

1,972 posts, read 3,303,912 times
Personally, I'd rather minimize my commute and live in or near Broomfield, saving an hour/day of wasted car time, gas, etc. Get your hipster fix during free evenings, weekends, etc.

Old 03-30-2018, 11:50 AM

1 posts, read 1,126 times
Arvada - Areas of Arvada have better schools than others, the downtown area has that older feel with some original stores, bakery, breweries.
Longmont also a good place according you to your need.

Old 03-30-2018, 12:54 PM

2,493 posts, read 1,812,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthDenverGirl View Post
Ok I am making suggestions with your budget in mind first. I live on the North side of Denver and I certainly think you can find a good fit that gives you a commute that isn't too terrible.

Arvada - Areas of Arvada have better schools than others, the downtown area has that older feel with some original stores, bakery, breweries. Lots of things for kids to do during the year and your wife should be able to find plenty of activities so she doesn't go crazy (been there with younger kiddos)

Broomfield - Right now Broomfield is lacking that downtown area but they are building one. It does have Whole Foods, Target etc easily accessible. Mostly families in Broomfield, lots of parks, great rec center, trails and plenty of moms out and about.

Bradburn Neighborhood - 120th Ave and West of Federal Blvd is a planned neighborhood called Bradburn, it would be more towards the top of your budget for purchasing. They do have apartments/townhomes for rent. It has original stores including a delicious breakfast place, yoga studio, steakhouse etc and within walking distance of Whole Foods, Sprouts and other bigger chains. Community pools and trails right outside your door, lots of younger families.

Lafayette - A smaller town that would put you within that 45-minute commute, an older downtown area with original stores, breweries, a sweet ice cream place. Plenty of families. Great parks and open space, good schools. Going to put you closer to that mid to top range of your budget.

Louisville - A squeeze with the budget but it could be worth checking out while you are out looking. I think you would like the downtown area and the hipster/crunchier vibe. Great schools and lots of families as well.

I hope this helps, I am happy to expand on any of these if needed
Thanks for the wonderful advice! Yes you read my wife's mind about needing things to do when you stay home so you don't get crazy. It's actually one of the reasons we are open to the relocation....we love the twin cities and all, but being stuck inside for a Minnesota winter with 2 kids has been no joke! It's not for the faint of heart. There's no going outside when it's 10 days in a row of subzero high temps!

Old 03-30-2018, 12:58 PM

90,377 posts, read 109,104,588 times
Any place in Lafayette to anywhere in Broomfield will be a 10-20 minute commute max. Add 5-10 minutes for Louisville.

Louisville would certainly work at the high end of your budget, OP. Small town atmosphere, tons of activities for kids. Lots of indie restaurants downtown; downtown as a whole is a bit "hipsterish". Close to Boulder for real hipsterism and cultural/sports/recreational activities.
https://www.zillow.com/discovery/lou...pensive/?bv=sb

Lafayette is similar, less hipsterish, housing prices a little lower.
https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...89_rect/12_zm/

There's also Superior. More suburban-ish, but close to Louisville, and it does have a surprising number of indie restaurants.
https://www.zillow.com/homes/Superior-CO_rb/
(These addresses are listed as Louisville because the 80027 zip code is the Louisville PO. They are actually in Superior.)

All in Boulder Valley School District which has excellent schools. The west part of Broomfield is also in BVSD.

Old 03-30-2018, 09:36 PM

6,240 posts, read 10,066,806 times
Wherabouts in Broomfield is the job ? It can make a difference in a commute ( and school districts) if you're in the NE corner (ie, Children's Hospital) vs the SW corner (ie Interlocken Bus. Park). 15 miles apart. Also a Broomfield mailing address can be outside the City.

https://goo.gl/maps/gsV8Gz54bir
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver