Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2018, 09:11 AM

11,477 posts, read 11,464,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brown_dog_us View Post
I think the Denver Post was doomed after they lost the competition from the Rocky Mountain News.
I don’t see why that should have doomed them. Bad ownership doomed them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2018, 11:25 AM

2,289 posts, read 2,926,722 times
The competition between the two papers created an environment where the paper needed the best reporters with great sources. Without that competition the quality when downhill and now Alden Global Capital doesn't need a big staff to produce a low quality paper without any competition.

Old 04-11-2018, 10:59 PM

1,849 posts, read 1,794,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left-handed View Post
Maybe the press shouldn't be for-profit. Just a thought.

While not a written form of media, CPR is a good alternative for local news (not driven by profits). Pretty much every one of my news sources (mostly podcasts) is provided by NPR.
Ugh, CPR was always so bad driving to and from work. One time I heard a Republican Senator freak out at a news anchor in the middle of the afternoon post election. CPR always had lame interviews like "um, we have one college professor to talk to" or "one local coffee shop owner.." It was just boring at best, even post 2016 election cycle. And most of the time, they outsource the programming from Los Angeles.

Denver Post layoffs are rather sad, IMHO. They had a really nice facility in downtown.

Old 04-12-2018, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N610DL View Post
Ugh, CPR was always so bad driving to and from work. One time I heard a Republican Senator freak out at a news anchor in the middle of the afternoon post election. CPR always had lame interviews like "um, we have one college professor to talk to" or "one local coffee shop owner.." It was just boring at best, even post 2016 election cycle. And most of the time, they outsource the programming from Los Angeles.

Denver Post layoffs are rather sad, IMHO. They had a really nice facility in downtown.
Outsource to LA??? I have no idea what you’re talking about. They are an NPR station so they have lots of national coverage. Most of that is from Washington, not LA. CPR does great local news

Old 04-12-2018, 07:55 AM

14,376 posts, read 18,286,917 times
I moved here from the East Coast the better part of a decade ago. I mainly read the WashPo and NYT, in addition to the Wall Street Journal. The Denver Post never really impressed me - this is the most isolated major city in the country and that's the best they could do? There are two competing major newspapers in my hometown that are actively involved in the community and have a real presence at community events, not to mention numerous publications catering to various townships and small-town areas. They could do a value-added publication here pretty easily, but they haven't.

I think local papers are important things to have, and I always appreciated how the ones in my hometown really provided a sense of the pulse of the community. I just never got that sense from the DP.

I have no subscription to cancel, but I'd follow SkyDog and do the same if I had one. I'm mystified as to why a hedge fund would have purchased a newspaper, but they're just doing what hedge funds do.

Old 04-12-2018, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
I moved here from the East Coast the better part of a decade ago. I mainly read the WashPo and NYT, in addition to the Wall Street Journal. The Denver Post never really impressed me - this is the most isolated major city in the country and that's the best they could do? There are two competing major newspapers in my hometown that are actively involved in the community and have a real presence at community events, not to mention numerous publications catering to various townships and small-town areas. They could do a value-added publication here pretty easily, but they haven't.

I think local papers are important things to have, and I always appreciated how the ones in my hometown really provided a sense of the pulse of the community. I just never got that sense from the DP.

I have no subscription to cancel, but I'd follow SkyDog and do the same if I had one. I'm mystified as to why a hedge fund would have purchased a newspaper, but they're just doing what hedge funds do.
It used to be so much better. Since their last Pulitzer Prize in 2013 the newsroom staff has been cut by over 50%. So sad.

Old 04-12-2018, 09:14 AM

2,289 posts, read 2,926,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
I'm mystified as to why a hedge fund would have purchased a newspaper, but they're just doing what hedge funds do.
I'm sorry but I can't find the link to the story, but this is a recap:

Papers like the DP have very valuable real estate that can be sold off. They also have very loyal subscribers who will continue to subscribe after a big price hike and a cut on the quality. The second one is how they make a profit now vs before Alden took over. So, Alden slowly sells off the assets while making a profit.

Old 04-12-2018, 10:13 AM

14,376 posts, read 18,286,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brown_dog_us View Post
I'm sorry but I can't find the link to the story, but this is a recap:

Papers like the DP have very valuable real estate that can be sold off. They also have very loyal subscribers who will continue to subscribe after a big price hike and a cut on the quality. The second one is how they make a profit now vs before Alden took over. So, Alden slowly sells off the assets while making a profit.
Ah. Yeah, typical hedge fund stuff. Newspapers were never considered all that profitable, I don't think, but if you're just selling off the assets while draining what you can out of what remains....

Old 04-12-2018, 11:18 AM

1,849 posts, read 1,794,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Outsource to LA??? I have no idea what you’re talking about. They are an NPR station so they have lots of national coverage. Most of that is from Washington, not LA. CPR does great local news
What I meant is how the station's programming was generally garbage and they would outsource the broadcasting frequently to it's West Coast HQ in Los Angeles (recall the bumper "CPR reporting from Culver City, CA.") It would happen nightly driving home from work. Sometimes they would get stories from DC as well.

The native CPR "home grown" news was like I said, IMHO, just dumpy reporting.

Old 04-12-2018, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N610DL View Post
What I meant is how the station's programming was generally garbage and they would outsource the broadcasting frequently to it's West Coast HQ in Los Angeles (recall the bumper "CPR reporting from Culver City, CA.") It would happen nightly driving home from work. Sometimes they would get stories from DC as well.

The native CPR "home grown" news was like I said, IMHO, just dumpy reporting.
NPR reporting from a Culver City, not CPR. Regardless, CPR is solid. It’s just not exciting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver