Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2018, 04:01 PM

23 posts, read 20,615 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone! So we are a family of 4 (soon to be 5 in November) looking to relocate to Denver. Looking into this summer between June-July My husband would be transferring to a position at the new VA. I am a labor and delivery nurse and I have potential prospects at Rose Medical. We have two children 5 and 2.

What areas are best to live in? Commute and daycare will be big options for us. I dont mind commuting but I would like to stay at least somewhat in the vinicity of work, home and childcare. Also, looking for areas that are family friendly. Not afraid to open up and make friends. Nice to have neighbors over for dinner, bbqs, etc. Safe area as well, lower crime rates.

Also schools are a huge huge factor for us. In the fall DS will be starting Kinder, and DD will be starting preschool. Currently DS and DD go to a high end preschool/daycare that utilizes the highscope curriculum (similar to Montessori). Looking to stay within that style whether it be public or private. I heard the Montessori schools are good? What would be typical cost for childcare/preschool/kindergarten? Any suggestions as to what centers are reputable or sources to look at?

Back to housing. We would be looking to rent initially rather than purchase. We would like to learn the lay of the land before committing to a house. For rent our budget would be a max of 1800. We would prefer a 3+bdrm, 2+ bath. But looking at the cost of living there we would have no problem going into a 2bdrm 2bath Townhouses and apartment complexes like the high end ones would not be out of our list.

Thanks so much guys!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2018, 04:12 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,210,098 times
where are you coming from? I have a suspicion you may be in for a bit of sticker shock when it comes to housing for the kind of area you are asking for and also for child care costs.

Here are the price lists for a couple of local Montessori schools.

https://www.mchdenver.org/wp-content...18-2019doc.pdf

https://www.montessoridenver.org/msd...ng_2018_19.pdf

Old 04-26-2018, 04:19 PM

emm74

We are moving from Sheridan, WY. We come to Denver 4-5 times a year for leisure/to fly out so we are very aware of some of the prices lol. We currently pay 2300/month for daycare for the two kids.

Old 04-26-2018, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
where are you coming from? I have a suspicion you may be in for a bit of sticker shock when it comes to housing for the kind of area you are asking for and also for child care costs.

Here are the price lists for a couple of local Montessori schools.

https://www.mchdenver.org/wp-content...18-2019doc.pdf

https://www.montessoridenver.org/msd...ng_2018_19.pdf
emm74

We are moving from Sheridan, WY. We come to Denver 4-5 times a year for leisure/to fly out so we are very aware of some of the prices lol. We currently pay 2300/month for daycare for the two kids.

Old 04-26-2018, 05:50 PM

It doesn't even have to be Montessori style. Just a good school system preschool

Old 04-26-2018, 06:49 PM

11,826 posts, read 34,436,540 times
Maybe you will get a job at Rose and maybe somewhere else. The new VA is at the Anshutz campus. Colfax and I-225.

So stay east side. Maybe a little southeast.

Old 04-26-2018, 08:12 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
I don't think the VA has labor and delivery. U of CO hospital, which is right nearby, does though.

Old 04-27-2018, 10:51 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,210,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsond89 View Post
It doesn't even have to be Montessori style. Just a good school system preschool
I am only familiar with the Denver Public School system, but you won't get into a DPS preschool program moving here in the summer. ECE as it's called is a voluntary program and there are not enough seats for all the families that would like to utilize it. The choice enrollment process in DPS has already concluded and lots of people are still on waiting lists for ECE, and would get priority for any seats that open up over someone who tries to enroll later on.

This is not the case for kindergarten and up, in that case, you are guaranteed a seat in your assigned boundary school based on your address. Or more confusingly in a school in an enrollment zone, if you ended up in one, such as in Stapleton which would check all of your boxes except for budget. Time enough to explain enrollment zones if you need that info though!

Perhaps someone who is more familiar with one of the nearby suburban district can comment on ECE in their district.

Old 04-27-2018, 01:40 PM

401 posts, read 487,408 times
It truly depends on what you are ok with in regards to commute time. SE Aurora has some nice family friendly neighborhoods, you just want to make sure you are within the Cherry Creek School District when it comes to renting/buying in Aurora. This would keep you relatively close to the VA and Rose. The west side of Centennial could be a good option too, once again in the Cherry Creek School District.

If you wanted to look North, Thornton could work out ok, depending on where you want to keep that commute time, there are some great schools in the Adams 12 School District.

Kindergarten here tends to be free for half day and pay for a full day. Some schools do offer full day without pay but they can be tricky to find.

As mentioned above preschool is hard here, most public schools only allow enrollment for children with special needs or learning barriers and then any open spots after that are usually take in February/March. It is a complaint of families here that the preschool options are tough and expensive if you need to enroll in a private preschool.

Old 04-27-2018, 01:50 PM

1,921 posts, read 4,775,283 times
My kids went through a Montessori (Bright Horizon) preschool and it was around $1200 per child/mo. This was a number of years ago though. For K and up they went to public school in the Cherry Creek School District.

If you live to the south and east in CCSD area the commute will be around 30 minutes roughly, as you guys will take I-25 and I-225 to work, respectively. Living in Stapleton will be closer commute especially for the VA. There are good and bad Denver Public Schools in that area so choose carefully, I don't live there but that is what I've heard.

I don't know honestly what you can get for $1800/mo rental, as I've never rented in Denver. Have you done a search yet online for apartment homes in your price range?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver