U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2018, 03:52 PM

29 posts, read 20,122 times

Advertisements

Hello!
I am looking for some insight! I am planning on relocating to the area this summer. Earlier this month I visited Co. I stayed in Littleton, but explored all over. I like the Littleton/Lakewood area and I also liked Colorado Springs. I also found Longmont appealing as well.

What are the pros and cons of the areas?
Commute will not be an issue as I will work in the area that I live.
I will be looking to rent a 1 bedroom apartment, budget about 1400 plus utilities.

I currently live on Long Island, which is in NY. I live in the suburbs, but am looking for less people/traffic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2018, 05:23 PM

416 posts, read 258,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillr View Post
Hello!
I am looking for some insight! I am planning on relocating to the area this summer. Earlier this month I visited Co. I stayed in Littleton, but explored all over. I like the Littleton/Lakewood area and I also liked Colorado Springs. I also found Longmont appealing as well.

What are the pros and cons of the areas?
Commute will not be an issue as I will work in the area that I live.
I will be looking to rent a 1 bedroom apartment, budget about 1400 plus utilities.

I currently live on Long Island, which is in NY. I live in the suburbs, but am looking for less people/traffic.
Do you have job prospects in both areas? I highly recommend securing employment first, then go from there.

My personal pros for Littleton/Lakewood when I lived there was the proximity to amenities, parks, open spaces and the trails/greenways.

We lived at Camden Lakeway apts, we had a 2bd but if I remember correctly, I think their 1bd start at $1450. You could also check out the Fairways at Raccoon Creek and the Pines at Marston.

Old 04-29-2018, 07:56 PM

3,055 posts, read 2,084,054 times
Interesting choices.

Littleton is about the same age as Colo Spgs, but Lakewood is much newer. Cos was much bigger in its earlier years than Littleton, so it will retain a larger section of older, historic areas. These range of dates have a big influence on styles and types of architecture and development and traffic lay outs you will encounter.

Littleton and Lakewood have numerous reservoirs, creeks, and active drainage with water in them. Population density in the two is also fairly tight. Cos has very few active waterways, sits at a much higher elevation, is considerably dryer, and much more spread out despite being much more populous.

Littleton and Lakewood are a part of the Denver metro which brings with it all the benefits and drawbacks of being astride a major metro area; traffic, population, diversity, activities, job access, etc. However, Denver will pale in comparison Long Islands population, diversity and access.

Littleton and Lakewood and their suburban layouts have large number of man made and maintained parks, open space, trails and paved paths. Suburban parts of Cos are very similar, albeit much less used, but Cos will have a much greater wild land interface with numerous natural setting parks. My visits in Littleton, Lakewood, and Englewood areas seem very much like communities within the greater city in that there seems to be a lot of people being very active at the many parks, community centers, schools, etc. Cos seems a bit less cohesive in this regard, probably because it covers so much area so there isn't really a lot of activity concentrated into a smaller area. Cos also has a pretty fair amount of tourism business during the summer months and some of the more popular places will be nearly over run with them. That also means you have great access to these same things in the off season.

Military infrastructure in Cos has developed a very robust and stable communications and power infrastructure. Littleton and Lakewood proximity to Denver has allowed it to develop alongside the metro area with power and telecommunications. If you work form home and tele-communte, this may be something you look into deeper.

Littleton straddles several counties. Lakewood and Colo Spgs are in single counties. This could influence sales tax, vehicle registration, etc. Newer areas in Cos may be in special tax districts which will influence not only home sales prices and property taxes, but rental prices as well. Not sure if there are any of these throughout Littleton and Lakewood although they both have very new developments and some heavily gentrifying areas.

Typically we would say rents in Cos are cheaper, bu they have been sneaking higher the last few years. You can still probably get a higher end, newish 1 bd apartment apartment within your $1400 price. Camelback Pointe and Oasis are examples of two of these. Centrally located high up on a western mesa, they have views of both the mountains and the city with easy access to the central and western parts of the city as well as Manitou and the Broadmoor areas.
https://www.weidner.com/colorado-spr...artment-homes/
Colorado Springs, CO Luxury Apartments | The Oasis
There are numerous other newer complexes on the northern and eastern edges of the city as well. The Northgate area is a rapidly growing northern part of the city with a lot of retail going into place. The eastern edge of the city along the Powers Blvd corridor is similarly experiencing rapid growth with shopping, retail, and recreation.

Old 04-30-2018, 09:34 AM

641 posts, read 384,839 times
Littleton/Lakewood is very comparable to much of Colorado Springs, but more crowded and more expensive. We've lived in all three.

Pros & Cons Littleton/Lakewood:
Access to a large metropolitan area and all that comes with that, both positive and negative.

Pros Colorado Springs:
Less crowded.
Less traffic.
Less expensive.
Easier to access venues and activities. There's a lot of parks/trails/activities to explore.
High military presence.
Lots of shopping and amenities in some areas.
Less pollution.
Pike's Peak.

Cons:
Not a large metropolitan area, less access to cultural and other activities.
Less hospitals and medical facilities to choose from.
High military presence.
No Ikea.
No city ran recreational centers. It's YMCA or private, both are expensive.
I've found our utilities to be higher (1.5-2x) and there's one company to choose from that does water/electricity/gas.
Less employment opportunities, potentially lower paying.
Busy police. Expect to be put on hold for 911 during peak hours.

Old 04-30-2018, 10:22 AM

236 posts, read 245,890 times
Crime rates:

Co. Springs: 353.1

Lakewood: 449.7

Littleton: 187.2

Nothing bad to say about Littleton, it the way the Denver suburbs used to be.

Colorado Springs has a major car-jacking problem as such crimes are reported almost monthly it seems.

Shots fired during carjacking in eastern Colorado Springs - KXRM

Old 04-30-2018, 10:25 AM

20,848 posts, read 39,075,211 times
I lived in COLO SPGS for 11 years and the city run utility provider is both outstanding and a good 20% cheaper than other front range cities with corporate utility providers. In the city of COLO SPGS one can get gas, electric, water and sewerage from COLO SPGS Utilities for one low monthly bill. I've nothing but good to say about CSU.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 04-30-2018, 05:27 PM

I do have a job waiting, I can work from either location, that is not an issue. From my research, it seems like Colorado Springs, is kind of far from everything, whereas in Littleton/Lakewood, everything I might need would be there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsBall View Post
Do you have job prospects in both areas? I highly recommend securing employment first, then go from there.

My personal pros for Littleton/Lakewood when I lived there was the proximity to amenities, parks, open spaces and the trails/greenways.

We lived at Camden Lakeway apts, we had a 2bd but if I remember correctly, I think their 1bd start at $1450. You could also check out the Fairways at Raccoon Creek and the Pines at Marston.

Old 04-30-2018, 05:29 PM

Thank you for the info, so Littleton is the safest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wycoyote View Post
Crime rates:

Co. Springs: 353.1

Lakewood: 449.7

Littleton: 187.2

Nothing bad to say about Littleton, it the way the Denver suburbs used to be.

Colorado Springs has a major car-jacking problem as such crimes are reported almost monthly it seems.

Shots fired during carjacking in eastern Colorado Springs - KXRM

Old 04-30-2018, 05:31 PM

Thanks for the info.
Quote:
Originally Posted by abcdefg567 View Post
Littleton/Lakewood is very comparable to much of Colorado Springs, but more crowded and more expensive. We've lived in all three.

Pros & Cons Littleton/Lakewood:
Access to a large metropolitan area and all that comes with that, both positive and negative.

Pros Colorado Springs:
Less crowded.
Less traffic.
Less expensive.
Easier to access venues and activities. There's a lot of parks/trails/activities to explore.
High military presence.
Lots of shopping and amenities in some areas.
Less pollution.
Pike's Peak.

Cons:
Not a large metropolitan area, less access to cultural and other activities.
Less hospitals and medical facilities to choose from.
High military presence.
No Ikea.
No city ran recreational centers. It's YMCA or private, both are expensive.
I've found our utilities to be higher (1.5-2x) and there's one company to choose from that does water/electricity/gas.
Less employment opportunities, potentially lower paying.
Busy police. Expect to be put on hold for 911 during peak hours.

Old 04-30-2018, 05:33 PM

Thank you for such detailed information. You have given me a lot to consider.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHP View Post
Interesting choices.

Littleton is about the same age as Colo Spgs, but Lakewood is much newer. Cos was much bigger in its earlier years than Littleton, so it will retain a larger section of older, historic areas. These range of dates have a big influence on styles and types of architecture and development and traffic lay outs you will encounter.

Littleton and Lakewood have numerous reservoirs, creeks, and active drainage with water in them. Population density in the two is also fairly tight. Cos has very few active waterways, sits at a much higher elevation, is considerably dryer, and much more spread out despite being much more populous.

Littleton and Lakewood are a part of the Denver metro which brings with it all the benefits and drawbacks of being astride a major metro area; traffic, population, diversity, activities, job access, etc. However, Denver will pale in comparison Long Islands population, diversity and access.

Littleton and Lakewood and their suburban layouts have large number of man made and maintained parks, open space, trails and paved paths. Suburban parts of Cos are very similar, albeit much less used, but Cos will have a much greater wild land interface with numerous natural setting parks. My visits in Littleton, Lakewood, and Englewood areas seem very much like communities within the greater city in that there seems to be a lot of people being very active at the many parks, community centers, schools, etc. Cos seems a bit less cohesive in this regard, probably because it covers so much area so there isn't really a lot of activity concentrated into a smaller area. Cos also has a pretty fair amount of tourism business during the summer months and some of the more popular places will be nearly over run with them. That also means you have great access to these same things in the off season.

Military infrastructure in Cos has developed a very robust and stable communications and power infrastructure. Littleton and Lakewood proximity to Denver has allowed it to develop alongside the metro area with power and telecommunications. If you work form home and tele-communte, this may be something you look into deeper.

Littleton straddles several counties. Lakewood and Colo Spgs are in single counties. This could influence sales tax, vehicle registration, etc. Newer areas in Cos may be in special tax districts which will influence not only home sales prices and property taxes, but rental prices as well. Not sure if there are any of these throughout Littleton and Lakewood although they both have very new developments and some heavily gentrifying areas.

Typically we would say rents in Cos are cheaper, bu they have been sneaking higher the last few years. You can still probably get a higher end, newish 1 bd apartment apartment within your $1400 price. Camelback Pointe and Oasis are examples of two of these. Centrally located high up on a western mesa, they have views of both the mountains and the city with easy access to the central and western parts of the city as well as Manitou and the Broadmoor areas.
https://www.weidner.com/colorado-spr...artment-homes/
Colorado Springs, CO Luxury Apartments | The Oasis
There are numerous other newer complexes on the northern and eastern edges of the city as well. The Northgate area is a rapidly growing northern part of the city with a lot of retail going into place. The eastern edge of the city along the Powers Blvd corridor is similarly experiencing rapid growth with shopping, retail, and recreation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver