U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2018, 10:53 AM

540 posts, read 262,060 times

Advertisements

I have been a loyal internet only comCast customer for 10 years. Recently moved to Denver's soBo neighborhood and found I had to reset my rented comCast cable modem every month or so by calling the provider's tech support. New modem, local resets, isolating the modem, nothing seemed to work. I had a medium speed residential 1year contract and they raised my monthly to $70 at the end of the contract. Un-smart marketing move. centuryLink had a 2 year old modern outside plant and offered giga bit speed for $80/mo. I am positng this because:
-for Denver fiber direct to the house is relatively new but old hat in some other cities.
-centuryLink generic technical info seems missing. They want to rent you a "modem box".
-as a cautionary note that centuryLink has really really insufficient frustrating customer interface.

So time to switch internet providers:
CenturyLink, the old phone company, updated my neighborhood with all new and improved fiber (FIOS - GPON) capable of giga bit service. I started my change over process in march and just now mid May can say I have both first crack at the technical and billing aspects possibly maybe working. I only use the internet. I Do not own a TV, telephone or fax machine. It has been not w/o frustration but I have met my initial goal of a more technically reliable internet experience. Now everyone on my block has ceturyLink.

-for those bad at math giga bit is 1,000 Meg bit. A bit is a itsybitsy small thingy so you have to divide the 1000 meg by 10 to get 100 mega byte. You can verify your internet speed using speedtest.net Pick a local server to bounce off of. I found the local comcast server gave better numbers than the centuryLink server so go figure. I could not get better than ~850 bits/second but every home network is a snowflake. Giga speed is not needed because lots of web sites are not that fast. It takes less bandwidth than you think to simultaneously stream even several videos. Giga bit speed may help for gaming?
-Fiber internet is mostly symmetric so up = down speeds.
-Not all Denver neighborhoods have the same level of century link service. Fios-Gpon level is available in several cities, not just Denver. That being said you can buy your own craigslist "Modem box" avoid rental fees. The centuryLink retail store has the latest Zyxe c3000z for direct sale at $150.00 (located downtown at 15th &b Curtis). There is at least another retail store on Old Wadsworth & i70. I bought a craigslist Zyxel c2100z for $45 and it works ok. I think even the c1000z level stuff will work just fine. Zyxel is centuryLink's default modem box manufacturer.
-the "modem box" is sort a rip off as it only does special local VDSL2 with PPP to negotiate your user id & password. This is only software and your just starting to see firmware updates to accomplish this negotiate on some combo boxes. Ask for write down your vdsl2 id/pw at installation time. You may already have an existing functional "modem box" or combo box doing wifi, routing and fire wall at your home. The all new improved Zyxel will replace it or you can put the Zyxel into pass through mode and continue to use your existing equipment. FIOS-GPON may not support pass through mode?
-centuryLink will install an all fiber line to the outside of your home. Usually a few days before your install date via a 3rd party crew. CenturyLink will require you to pay a $60 fee for a centuryLink employee to do the "installation" on your installation date. He she will be prompt friendly but dumb as a box of rocks, your on your own.
-The centuryLink installer will nail an interface box to the side of your house. I would suggest you opt for a separate OTB interface box placed in the inside of your house. The OTB converts the fiber to ethernet like your old DSL3 cable modem. They dont charge for the OTB box. Your "modem box" connects the OTB box via a short ethernet cable. In turn the "modem box" will do the VDSL2 account id, wifi, routing and firewall. At the time of installation have a computer you own you can connect direct to the box (ethernet cable and or wifi). Verify your final connection and speed with your own equipment The installer will generally have nothing reliable, usually old busted equipment. Get a receipt statement he completed the install

the account setup and billing aspects:
-look online for the best deal online. Online prices may be lower different than if you just call centuryLink. Always ask get a confirmation number at the end of any and all transactions.
-right now; no contract and they guarantee the price will not change so best to get the lowest price possible. If you dont need giga bit speed get slower service but set up the whole thing at one time inc modem rental to avoid confusion. There will be no going back to fix things.
-centuryLink's billing system is unstable. If you run into problems use the local retail store to get the problem resolved. The retail store staff is all from the old phone company and prone to random outbursts of attitude. Smoke a joint before going.
-be absolutely certain of your centuryLink account number and their billing address. they may give you an incorrect number.
-Take a photo of your check for the first few months as they are prone cashing the check and not applying it to your account. Save your correspondence with centuryLink as you will need to use against them.
-The trickle down on the billing is slooow so give corrections and changes more than expected amount of time to take effect. centuryLink is not google or amazon so expect much much less.
-finally NEVER call their 800 billing service. Always use the local retail store. There is a few in town so pick one that is close. The Denver down town store has no parking and is across the street from the SAMS2 restaurant.

enjoy your giga bit speed FIOS-GPON internet in Denver SoBo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2018, 03:59 PM

12,297 posts, read 8,108,578 times
I still use Comcast and I will continue to do so because of Centurylink's shotty customer service. I also got rid of their modem/router combo hardware I was renting for $10 a month and bought my own. I have never had better connectivity in my house since buying my own modem/router.

Old 05-14-2018, 04:18 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,680,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
I still use Comcast and I will continue to do so because of Centurylink's shotty customer service. I also got rid of their modem/router combo hardware I was renting for $10 a month and bought my own. I have never had better connectivity in my house since buying my own modem/router.
I second this one - I have no issues at all with Comcast and am very happy with the service. Centurylink is spotty at best, and dont even get me started on their garbage TV service.

Old 05-14-2018, 04:50 PM

2,122 posts, read 1,277,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Tim Tim View Post
I second this one - I have no issues at all with Comcast and am very happy with the service. Centurylink is spotty at best, and dont even get me started on their garbage TV service.
Thirding this. When I was CenturyLink way back in the day, I could just about set my watch by how often my service cut out. I switched over to Comcast, and have had maybe half a dozen issues in the fifteen years I've been with them. MSOs over LECs for the win, IMO.

Old 05-14-2018, 05:13 PM

1,572 posts, read 2,840,780 times
Fourthing this. Comcast for 9 years. Outages/problems very rare. Maybe once a year. Purchased by own modem.

Old 05-14-2018, 07:38 PM

2,181 posts, read 5,641,689 times
Fifth. Comcast has been fine for me (at 4 addresses) for the past 10+ years. The only complaint, if I had to make one, was that the process to transfer service from one of my apartments to my first house was atrocious and way more difficult than it should have been. Other than that, things have been great. No outages that I can remember.

I know CentryLink has done a lot of upgrades, but back when I chose Comcast, all CenturyLink offered was slow DSL.

Old 05-15-2018, 06:47 AM

231 posts, read 188,713 times
I've been on centurylink (and previously Qwest) DSL, but rolling out of fiber is going to be a game changer. Had FIOS when I lived out in northern virginia and it was fantastic. Fast speeds, no throttling, and (most importantly) no quotas. Being in unincorporated Douglas, I'm pretty sure I'll be waiting sometime, but this is progress.

Old 05-15-2018, 08:50 AM

1,303 posts, read 436,599 times
6th Comcast. Paying $29.99/month for 55mbps. Bought my own cable modem for $40 and already had my own router.

Had an outage once in 2 years.

Century Link only provided like 10mbps service to my house instead. No thanks!

Old 05-15-2018, 08:57 AM

6,569 posts, read 10,296,040 times
I'd probably go back to Comcast if I didn't have to bundle in their garbage TV offering to get a good rate.

Old 05-15-2018, 09:03 AM

12,297 posts, read 8,108,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
I'd probably go back to Comcast if I didn't have to bundle in their garbage TV offering to get a good rate.
I am trying to cut the cable cord but I want to keep their internet service. They gouge you if you don't bundle. I used to have the triple play with phone, internet and TV. I got rid of phone because I got MagicJack for $150 for 6 years. It cost just as much for the two play as it did for the triple play.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or