Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2018, 12:01 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,464,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by confused-again11 View Post
Haha right? Don't bother. He's just trolling all my posts. He followed me to this thread..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2018, 12:44 PM

8,595 posts, read 14,778,113 times
Quote:
Haha right? Don't bother. He's just trolling all my posts. He followed me to this thread..
It's actually an inside joke about another user on here who likes to embellish a wee bit by telling people he "lives in Denver." Doesn't. Never has. I personally have lived where he lives, and it's nothing like Denver.

Old 05-15-2018, 03:03 PM

1,849 posts, read 1,794,230 times
Quote:
Moving to Denver has been a shock to say the least. We're coming from NE (VT), NYC, then Seattle and wow. Denver is not the same lol.

Crime: Biggest issue I've found. There's crime everywhere, not just one area, or two neighborhoods downtown, its the entire metro area.

Weather: Sun is extremely strong, but I've enjoyed it so far. Not looking forward to August though. It's also rained almost everyday this past week so keep that in mind. Loud rumbling thunderstorms.

People: Overly, and outwardly, friendly, yet kind of self-absorbed. I've noticed a lot of people need attention here, not saying that's a bad thing I just think its a Midwest/Southern type culture. You just talk to anyone even if they don't want to respond. Example: We were shopping at a glass shop and let a couple go ahead of us, big mistake. The guy was telling a story to the cashier and KEPT LOOKING BACK AT US? As if we were happily waiting in line behind them, as if we wanted to hear that he had "So much glass he has to rotate 6 pieces a week". We were creeped out, and as he left he turned to us and was like have fun guys with a wink. The girlfriend looked mortified, we ignored him and stayed confused. I've never had interactions like this on the coasts.

Were looking to move again, Denver is fun for college kids but as adults its not the exciting place I thought it would be.
I've had interactions like this as well - Denver just sucks at customer service and speed at restaurants and shops. There were two interactions that drove me nuts when I lived there. One was when a local dry cleaners tried to charge me $12 for washing a shirt because I said "dry cleaned" instead of "washed." Which, mind you these are white people that own a cleaners but I could drop off a shirt in Koreatown in L.A. who barely speak english and get the job done right.

Another was when some guy at the car wash tried to charge me $50 because he thought he discovered a crack in my windshield and claimed they could buff it out. I said "No thanks" once and he kept going. Finally I said "don't even go near it, I know my car and it's fine." And he looked at me like I had 10 eyes.

The more I think about it, Denver is highly passive aggressive and more Midwest than the coasts. If you love Minneapolis you sure as hell are going to love Denver.

Old 05-15-2018, 07:37 PM

937 posts, read 738,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N610DL View Post
The more I think about it, Denver is highly passive aggressive and more Midwest than the coasts. If you love Minneapolis you sure as hell are going to love Denver.
What do people mean by this when they say the Denverites or Midwesterners are passive aggressive? I've read this before but don't understand how this could be a pattern of behavior within an entire locale in a city or state or region of the country. I had a very passive aggressive MIL once who would play her tambourines outside family members' bedroom doors at 3 am because she was upset that they went to bed instead of staying awake all night with her. What do Denverites do that is passive aggressive?

Old 05-15-2018, 08:03 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,464,766 times
Quote:

Seems odd to state this as if it’s a new revelation for you since you have quite literally said this multiple times over the course of many months.

Old 05-15-2018, 08:28 PM

15,853 posts, read 35,030,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical347 View Post
My partner and I are looking at moving to Denver (along with some other places) from San Jose. We're just feeling things out right now and may not end up moving anywhere. There is a lot we like about Denver but we have a few concerns and I'm hoping some people can help us figure out if these will be manageable.

The main concerns that I have are the overwhelming outdoorsiness of the area and the weather. We're not outdoorsy at all, and I realize that not everyone is going to have the same interests so that's fine. But Denver seems like a very outdoorsy place, everyone I know from there is outdoorsy, and when we visited everyone we ran into was outdoorsy like almost no other place I've visited. Nothing wrong with that but the concern I have is that...will I be excluded from social circles simply because I'm not outdoorsy? I ask because I've lived somewhere (NH) where everyone was outdoorsy and I was excluded from social circles -- not just from doing outdoorsy stuff, but from doing any stuff at all, just because it seems that the outdoorsy people there were very cliquish. I'm always happy to be friends with people who don't have the same interest but up there, it was not reciprocated. How does this play out in CO?

Also, what is the weather really like? I'll be the first to admit that I'm a weather wimp...that said, I've lived in places that have 4 seasons (NE & NH) and have looked up the average in Denver, but I know that temperatures alone can be misleading. For reference, I found the weather in NE to not be too bad but NH completely miserable, even though the average temperatures weren't too much different. Not completely sure why but maybe it could have been that NE was sunnier, and got at least 1-2 days of reprieve per week (whereas NH often had none).
Have you considered Las Vegas?

Old 05-15-2018, 08:31 PM

17,678 posts, read 29,607,847 times
I am not passive aggressive.
I am in your f—-king face aggressive.
But, I have mellowed after living here for 38 years.

Old 05-15-2018, 08:40 PM

3,398 posts, read 4,575,672 times
When you say passive aggressive, do you mean it literally or the other type as in, nice to your face and talk trash behind your back?

Old 05-15-2018, 08:55 PM

1,849 posts, read 1,794,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe333 View Post
What do people mean by this when they say the Denverites or Midwesterners are passive aggressive? I've read this before but don't understand how this could be a pattern of behavior within an entire locale in a city or state or region of the country. I had a very passive aggressive MIL once who would play her tambourines outside family members' bedroom doors at 3 am because she was upset that they went to bed instead of staying awake all night with her. What do Denverites do that is passive aggressive?
Ever hear of “Minnesota Nice?” There’s a Wikipedia page on it, FYI.

DEN is just not far enough removed to escape those values, IMHO. That and many transplants from the Midwest carry that behavior with them.

I should say that it’s really the upper Midwest not the rust belt that carry those values. Big differences between ppl from Ohio and South Dakota with regards to values.

Old 05-15-2018, 09:03 PM

937 posts, read 738,222 times
Quote:
Ever hear of “Minnesota Nice?” There’s a Wikipedia page on it, FYI.

DEN is just not far enough removed to escape those values, IMHO. That and many transplants from the Midwest carry that behavior with them.

I should say that it’s really the upper Midwest not the rust belt that carry those values. Big differences between ppl from Ohio and South Dakota with regards to values.
I've never experienced this "Minnesota Nice." I'm going to read up on it. What a strange regional tendency.

Last edited by Chloe333; 05-15-2018 at 09:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver