U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2018, 05:17 PM

11,256 posts, read 43,131,025 times

Advertisements

ATV's … a lot of areas to use them in Colorado, but if your focus is hunting … that's a pretty limited usage each year.

Boats … a lot of areas to use them in Colorado, starting in spring and ranging into late fall.

Numerous Fishable Lakes ranging along the Front Range from Pueblo up through Fort Collins, mountain lake destinations abound (Dillon Res very popular with Denver boaters), regional big lakes such as Lake McConnaughy in Nebraska (in addition to other good fishing destination lakes just over the Colorado border on the eastern side), and places such as Flaming Gorge Res not too many hours away from Denver. There are sizable res' in Wyoming, also not too far away for weekend fishing trips.

As an avid boater and fisherman … my preference would be a boat, first. Seek out appropriate watercraft for your destinations and use. Know in advance that mountain reservoir waters are cold and can be rather windy/gusty, with whitecaps and chop … I'd be looking at capable boats in the 15-18' range Or you may find that smaller watercraft will suit your need, or a drift boat for the rivers could be your "cup o' tea". All depends upon what fishing you seek …

PS: contrary to the post above … much of the waters in Colorado most of the time are anything but flat.

Take it from somebody who has been actively racing dinghy and keel sailboats in Colorado since 1964 … my outlook on this is if somebody can competently handle a boat in the widely varying extreme conditions of Colorado mountain and flatland lakes, they can sail anywhere in the world. Not unusual on places like Dillon Res to see 20-30-40-50+ mph gusts for a period of time some days, then back to moderate breezes, then back up again. Have seen this everywhere from Dillon to Reudi to Horsetooth to Carter to Pueblo to Bonny (now closed, unfortunately), to … well, you name the lake, I've seen these conditions present and still sailed tactical races. A kick in the butt fun on boats like a Laser dinghy if you're a capable and competent sailor … of course, not so much fun in a modest powerboat when you're out fishing. You've got to pick your opportunities and know when it's time to head for protected shoreline areas and/or be off the water for awhile.

What's your pleasure? moderately priced boats of all classes abound in the area. Enjoy.

PS: yes, I own both. Polaris 6x6 Sportsman for back-country access from time to time (plus I use them on my ranch/farm for utility purposes), and a fleet of sailboats (14' through 23') and (recently added) fishing boats … ranging from a 12' tin V 7.5 HP outboard boat through a 15' StarCraft tri-hull bowrider w/85 hp outboard and an electric trolling motor. All get used … for their respective purposes and pleasure. With used equipment prices being what they are and some careful shopping, the total investment is rather minimal. The fish don't know the difference between my 35-yr old bowrider and a new Tracker or Lund or Lowe at many multiples of the cost.

Last edited by sunsprit; 05-29-2018 at 05:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2018, 05:31 PM

1,787 posts, read 1,121,841 times
My friend has a boat and is considering relocating back to AUS because the boating season in DEN is largely seasonal compared to there and there's less water in the form of manmade reservoirs. It's expensive to maintain one.

I always wondered how much fun Jet Skiing would be on a reservoir instead, personally.

Old 05-29-2018, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N610DL View Post
My friend has a boat and is considering relocating back to AUS because the boating season in DEN is largely seasonal compared to there and there's less water in the form of manmade reservoirs. It's expensive to maintain one.

kinda' hard to compare a landlocked Colorado with all the boating/sailing opportunities of an island nation of Australia with so much coastline and ocean boating/sailing opportunities.

OTOH, Colorado does offer some skiing/winter sports activities which might not be matched by Australia's opportunities.

so if your "friend" has a boating oriented perspective and that's his paramount consideration … of course, Australia does present more opportunities. But even Australia presents some world class difficult sailing conditions, too.

Define "expensive" for recreational activities. Considering that I rarely use much more than a gallon or so of fuel each day in my fishing via boats, it's not terribly consumptive on the water … especially with the smaller 4-stroke outboards and trolling (if that's the fishing we're doing that day) with the electric motor. When I compare my recreational daily costs on the water … even considering the nominal investment in some of the boats w/trailer at under $1000 … to what a lot of my friends spend spoiling a good walk chasing a little ball for a couple hours … I spend less on my boating than they do for their recreation pursuit. And if I have a good day catching, I may have some good eats for that evening and even more for the freezer for another few meals.

I always wondered how much fun Jet Skiing would be on a reservoir instead, personally.
on mountain cold water lakes … not especially fun, IMO.

Last edited by sunsprit; 05-29-2018 at 08:10 PM..

Old 05-29-2018, 08:22 PM

6,519 posts, read 10,173,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
on mountain cold water lakes … not especially fun, IMO.

I think the AUS N610 is referring to it's Austin. Better water recreation for sure, but it's offset by mediocre hiking, a lousy climate, and god awful traffic. For its size, Austin's airport is pretty rinky dink, too.

Old 05-29-2018, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
I think the AUS N610 is referring to it's Austin. Better water recreation for sure, but it's offset by mediocre hiking, a lousy climate, and god awful traffic. For its size, Austin's airport is pretty rinky dink, too.
uh-oh … bluescreen, good catch there. If you're right, I stand corrected.

Had AUStralia on my mind because friends of mine who were Colorado racing sailors immigrated there in the 1970's to open up a boat shop, building wood racing dinghy's … and diving/fishing the ocean waters there. Pretty spectacular venues and lots of great fishing. At the time, the country was aggressively seeking skilled tradespeople/businessmen and the entry requirements and benefits were very favorable if you had the grubstake to make the transition. My friends did pretty well down there for years … kept up a steady flow of pix and wonderful tales of the sailing and fishing they did for years, wanting me to visit them for an extended vacation. Biz and life's events kept me from making such a trip for decades, and they've both now passed on so that opportunity to stay with them is now gone.

Old 05-30-2018, 12:52 AM

942 posts, read 1,250,738 times
How much money do you want to blow? The boat takes money all the time on land and in the water. The ATV would be good.

Old 05-30-2018, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alloo66 View Post
How much money do you want to blow? The boat takes money all the time on land and in the water. The ATV would be good.
for you folk out there thinking that ATV's don't take money to operate and maintain for the few miles you may put on them each year, don't depreciate, and never need some expensive repairs when components fail …

I may have some bad news for you.

In the last few months, my shop has had clients bringing in everything from Honda's with blown ECU's that wouldn't start for them on the trail and had to be towed in from a remote location, to a Polaris with an inexplicably blown fuse for the ECU so it didn't run while out on a jobsite, to numerous other failures of electronics/drivelines requiring tows off the trails and expensive components replaced. A neighbor's low use Honda had a carb so plugged up and deteriorated (from the ethanol in the gasoline) that it was far more cost effective to replace the carb with a new one … at least he had enough power to come off the trail he was riding by Encampment while elk hunting … but he got to pack out the quartered elk and the ATV.

And while it's some time ago, even Elk Hunter posted in this forum about a couple years worth of repeated transmission/electronic control failures on his Honda ATV which he relied upon for local transportation from cabin to town. The initial failures were on a brand new under warranty ATV which the dealer was unable to durably repair. Out of warranty, I sourced a replacement ECU and switch for the unit at much lower cost than dealer pricing, but it still was a repeated failure item on his ATV.

there's a lot of consistent, known failure items on a lot of brands of ATV's which see only infrequent and low mileage use. they're not indestructible 100% uptime units, not by any means. As well, batteries deteriorate from sitting/lack of use, or from charge/discharge cycles when used a lot for short trips when started.

if you take the time to look into the shop service departments of most ATV dealerships, you'll see a rather steady turn-over of ATV's in the que waiting for service & parts. That's just a glimpse of the overall repair market since many ATV owners are DIY'ers for routine maintenance and minor repairs.

Personally, I've bought my farm/ranch use ATV's for "pennies on the dollar" … like $10,000 new 6x6's for $1,500 when the owners encountered significant repair costs for their non-runner units after a few years of use/minimal miles & hours of service. As a pro shop, I can take on the labor/diagnostic issues and restore them to proper functioning for much less than most folk can do. But I know from many years of relying upon ATV's for farm/ranch utility work that few deliver a lot of miles before needing repair expenses. And when the day comes that it needs a set of tires, hang onto your hats …. good brands such as Titan or Carlisle don't give those little tires away for any less than you'd spend on full size tires for your car. My local tire shops charge as much to mount tires on an ATV carry-in wheel as they do for a car tire, too. A friend with an indie ATV repair shop bought a $3,500 tire machine to mount ATV tires … says it's the biggest money-maker in his shop, selling ATV tires and installing them.

Just like ATV's, I can find numerous used boats with a lot of service life left in them for a fraction of new cost with minor repairs needed to keep them operating for years to come. As far as "new" goes for ATV's or boats … $10,000 is just a starting figure for a lot of machines that would be useful in our area. Not uncommon to see mid-to-high teens for either, too.

Old 05-30-2018, 05:58 AM

569 posts, read 280,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
for you folk out there thinking that ATV's don't take money to operate and maintain for the few miles you may put on them each year, don't depreciate, and never need some expensive repairs when components fail

I may have some bad news for you.

In the last few months, my shop has had clients bringing in everything from Honda's with blown ECU's that wouldn't start for them on the trail and had to be towed in from a remote location, to a Polaris with an inexplicably blown fuse for the ECU so it didn't run while out on a jobsite, to numerous other failures of electronics/drivelines requiring tows off the trails and expensive components replaced. A neighbor's low use Honda had a carb so plugged up and deteriorated (from the ethanol in the gasoline) that it was far more cost effective to replace the carb with a new one at least he had enough power to come off the trail he was riding by Encampment while elk hunting but he got to pack out the quartered elk and the ATV.

And while it's some time ago, even Elk Hunter posted in this forum about a couple years worth of repeated transmission/electronic control failures on his Honda ATV which he relied upon for local transportation from cabin to town. The initial failures were on a brand new under warranty ATV which the dealer was unable to durably repair. Out of warranty, I sourced a replacement ECU and switch for the unit at much lower cost than dealer pricing, but it still was a repeated failure item on his ATV.

there's a lot of consistent, known failure items on a lot of brands of ATV's which see only infrequent and low mileage use. they're not indestructible 100% uptime units, not by any means. As well, batteries deteriorate from sitting/lack of use, or from charge/discharge cycles when used a lot for short trips when started.

if you take the time to look into the shop service departments of most ATV dealerships, you'll see a rather steady turn-over of ATV's in the que waiting for service & parts. That's just a glimpse of the overall repair market since many ATV owners are DIY'ers for routine maintenance and minor repairs.

Personally, I've bought my farm/ranch use ATV's for "pennies on the dollar" like $10,000 new 6x6's for $1,500 when the owners encountered significant repair costs for their non-runner units after a few years of use/minimal miles & hours of service. As a pro shop, I can take on the labor/diagnostic issues and restore them to proper functioning for much less than most folk can do. But I know from many years of relying upon ATV's for farm/ranch utility work that few deliver a lot of miles before needing repair expenses. And when the day comes that it needs a set of tires, hang onto your hats . good brands such as Titan or Carlisle don't give those little tires away for any less than you'd spend on full size tires for your car. My local tire shops charge as much to mount tires on an ATV carry-in wheel as they do for a car tire, too. A friend with an indie ATV repair shop bought a $3,500 tire machine to mount ATV tires says it's the biggest money-maker in his shop, selling ATV tires and installing them.

Just like ATV's, I can find numerous used boats with a lot of service life left in them for a fraction of new cost with minor repairs needed to keep them operating for years to come. As far as "new" goes for ATV's or boats $10,000 is just a starting figure for a lot of machines that would be useful in our area. Not uncommon to see mid-to-high teens for either, too.
At least boat owners are as happy the day they sell the boat as when they first bought it (!).

Old 05-30-2018, 07:19 AM

3,041 posts, read 2,067,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LHS79 View Post
At least boat owners are as happy the day they sell the boat as when they first bought it (!).
I've heard that my whole life. IMO, a boat, or ATV, or a classic car is a non-essential mechanical transportation item. It has quirks and a need to be maintained that may not be possible at the local quickey oil change place. Many casual owners do not understand, know, or care to know these issues and instead run them to failure, leading to more expensive repairs, at which time they unload them, happy to be rid of the trouble.

Old 05-30-2018, 08:05 AM

3,940 posts, read 3,227,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LHS79 View Post
What do they say Boat stands for....Bring Over Another Thousand?

At least, that's been our experience making repairs on boats we've owned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or