U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2018, 09:19 PM

6,525 posts, read 10,194,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
Thank you for all the suggestions.

Do any of the routes to the hikes/rafting have a toll road? Trying to understand if I need to pay for toll thing at car rental place.
Stay off E-470 and Northwest Parkway. Those are the 2 main toll roads. There's a tolled express lane on eastbound I-70 between Georgetown to Idaho Springs, but it's signed well and is usually closed. There are also managed lanes on US-36 between Denver and Boulder.

The Mount Evans Highway and Pikes Peak Highway are "tolled," but you have to pay the toll at an entrance gate.

Other than that it's not like Dallas where you have to pay a toll to back out of your driveway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2018, 08:50 AM

893 posts, read 1,918,237 times
Follow up question: Is there any benefit (driving-time wise) to staying in Boulder vs. Denver proper? Or somewhere else, like Fort Collins? I was looking at maybe Bridal Falls or Chaos Canyon trails?

Old 06-11-2018, 05:15 AM

4,657 posts, read 1,326,609 times
For hiking near Denver and along the Front Range on a weekend in the summer, you're going to be dealing with a lot of people on almost any trail and you will need to get to most trailheads around 6:00 to make sure you get a parking spot. As noted above, I would avoid Estes Park and RMNP in the summer.

I would take the advice of others and head to Salida, where you can get both rafting on the Arkansas River and have your choice of hikes in the nearby Sawatch Range or the Sangre de Cristo Range. There will be some people on the trails, but nothing like northern Colorado.

Old 06-11-2018, 04:50 PM

6,904 posts, read 6,496,831 times
Just returned from my annual long weekend at RMNP after the kids are out fo school.

Crowded? Yes.
Worth it? Absolutely.

We had pretty warm temps but very high winds. Multiple people in tents had poles bend last night. It was in the 70s and maybe even 80s at lower elevations.

We went up to the top of Trail Ridge Road today and temps were in the high 40s with ferocious wind.

Old 06-11-2018, 06:10 PM

893 posts, read 1,918,237 times
2nd Follow-up: We've decided to stay and hike near Breckenridge instead of Denver. Any tips/suggestions?

Old 06-11-2018, 07:38 PM

6,904 posts, read 6,496,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
2nd Follow-up: We've decided to stay and hike near Breckenridge instead of Denver. Any tips/suggestions?
For rafting, the drive over to the Arkansas isn’t bad from Breck. About an hour and change. I like Brown’s Canyon or The Numbers for my out of state guests.

For hiking, if you are feeling acclimated, Mount Democrat is one of the easier 14,000 foot peaks in the state. You can actually link it with 3 others and get 4 14,000 foot summits in a day with under 8 miles of hiking. I did this hike last summer. Your goal should be to be started as the sun is coming up and off the last peak before noon. It’s fun and we saw plenty of tourists while hiking. Know what you are getting in to and be prepared with adequate snacks, water, clothing, boots, sun protection and first aid. 14,000 feet is no joke, especially if you are coming from sea level. Be prepared to head down quickly if you feel altitude sickness coming on. Pushing through it can have severe consequences. Also be ready to head down if a storm comes in. They can blow in fast and being on top of a treeless mountain in a lightning storm can kill you. Check the weather before you go.

This is a great resource:

https://www.14ers.com/route.php?rout...k=Mt.+Democrat
https://www.14ers.com/php14ers/peaks...p?recnum=11326

Check the AllTrails app for info on other hikes in the area.

Last edited by SkyDog77; 06-11-2018 at 09:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver