U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-06-2018, 05:09 AM
 
Location: Colorado Springs
4,794 posts, read 4,896,352 times
Reputation: 17135

Advertisements

The video tells the story. I'm shocked at how little you get for that much money.

https://www.9news.com/article/life/s...u/73-561682247
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-06-2018, 06:08 AM
 
Location: Prescott Valley, AZ
2,658 posts, read 2,306,510 times
Reputation: 2657
For comparison to Denver prices, this is what $544k gets you in Mansfield, OH. Again, prices are relative to the area itself. If you live in Denver and want to move to a cheaper COL state, sell your home.

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...778_rect/6_zm/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2018, 07:15 AM
 
Location: Colorado Springs
3,046 posts, read 2,077,790 times
Reputation: 3536
...and here is $512k in Joplin MO. https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...79_rect/11_zm/

Its all relative due to a wide variety of factors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2018, 07:45 AM
 
538 posts, read 254,101 times
Reputation: 400
side factor to rising home prices is your property taxes go up. the increase could be dramatic. An acceptable existing mill levey could become oppressive next year. Before you vote think of how much it may cost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2018, 07:48 AM
 
Location: Aurora, CO
6,523 posts, read 10,194,145 times
Reputation: 9752
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
For comparison to Denver prices, this is what $544k gets you in Mansfield, OH. Again, prices are relative to the area itself. If you live in Denver and want to move to a cheaper COL state, sell your home.

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...778_rect/6_zm/
Denver or a dying Rust Belt city between Cleveland and Columbus. Tough choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2018, 08:16 AM
 
Location: 80904 West siiiiiide!
2,943 posts, read 7,303,532 times
Reputation: 1695
Although I think Denver's housing prices aren't really in line with the overall appeal of the city, there's a reason why you can buy a house in Ohio for less than it costs to purchase a used F-150.

Nobody wants to live there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2018, 08:21 AM
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
86,883 posts, read 102,281,764 times
Reputation: 32946
Quote:
Originally Posted by daprara View Post
side factor to rising home prices is your property taxes go up. the increase could be dramatic. An acceptable existing mill levey could become oppressive next year. Before you vote think of how much it may cost.
You would be surprised how high the property taxes in some of these rust-belt states are. I'm not interested in looking up Mansfield, OH, but I'd bet it's higher than here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2018, 11:09 AM
 
Location: 80904 West siiiiiide!
2,943 posts, read 7,303,532 times
Reputation: 1695
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
You would be surprised how high the property taxes in some of these rust-belt states are. I'm not interested in looking up Mansfield, OH, but I'd bet it's higher than here.

You got that right. I lived for a time in Ashtabula Ohio, a rotting carcass of a rust belt city on the shores of lake erie, about halfway between Cleveland and Erie Pa.

I owned a $68,000 house and my property taxes were over $3000 a year. I don't even pay a third of that now on a $200,000 house in Colorado Springs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2018, 11:22 AM
 
Location: IN
20,786 posts, read 35,823,153 times
Reputation: 13210
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanek9freak View Post
You got that right. I lived for a time in Ashtabula Ohio, a rotting carcass of a rust belt city on the shores of lake erie, about halfway between Cleveland and Erie Pa.

I owned a $68,000 house and my property taxes were over $3000 a year. I don't even pay a third of that now on a $200,000 house in Colorado Springs.
..trashtabula
Ashtabula County has lost jobs for decades, it isn't close enough to Cleveland metro area to see in-migration of population or jobs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2018, 11:47 AM
 
Location: The Berk in Denver, CO USA
13,947 posts, read 20,196,196 times
Reputation: 22564
Quote:
Originally Posted by daprara View Post
side factor to rising home prices is your property taxes go up. the increase could be dramatic.
Or not.
TABOR.

Even in The Socialist Paradise of City & County of Denver, which has de-Bruced, taxes do not increase at the rate of house market value increases.
My house when from $500K to $750K and taxes went from $3K to $3.5K. Market value up by 50% and taxes up by 17% over the last 5 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:32 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top