Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2018, 11:37 PM

121 posts, read 154,898 times

Advertisements

I believe the question is warranted based on what I see posted on social media, especially the comments on news stations' Facebook articles.

I see and hear a lot of unprovoked jabs taken at California, and I don't understand it. If Colorado is indeed superior in every way, why do people feel the need to even bring it up?

Most transplants are moving to Denver from...other places in Colorado.

Source: https://www.9news.com/article/news/l...tate/477984603

Why aren't "natives" upset with Coloradans instead? Thoughts?

Last edited by Best_Coast; 06-08-2018 at 12:04 AM..

Old 06-08-2018, 06:01 AM

1,190 posts, read 1,194,530 times
Add Texans

Old 06-08-2018, 06:11 AM

11,477 posts, read 11,548,648 times
Nothing but love from me for the state of California. It’s absolutely one of my favorite places in the US.

Old 06-08-2018, 06:26 AM

13,401 posts, read 28,714,749 times
I lived in Colorado back in the eighties, my brother relocated there when he was 18 years old to a small town of Pine, his biggest issue is the people from California wanted to turn Colorado into California!!! Stay put in California if that is your vibe.

Old 06-08-2018, 06:46 AM

6,779 posts, read 9,332,326 times
It's mostly the perception that folks who come here from California bring their voting habits with them and are slowly turning Colorado into another California by voting for candidates and initiatives that lead to implementation of California-like things in Colorado (high taxes, lots of regulation, larger government, etc)

For the record, I lived in California, and while I like to visit from time to time, I don't want to live there again. And I don't want California here in Colorado. Been there, done that, no thanks.

Old 06-08-2018, 07:01 AM

239 posts, read 280,741 times
I lived in California for three years (Bay area) after living in Colorado for 7, and now I’ve returned and decided to settle in Colorado.

There are a lot of high taxes and strange regulations in California . However the one thing they got right was limiting taxation increases in property taxes, aka Prop 13.

It’s the one thing I would take from California and bring to CO. Let’s face it I don’t want to be forced out of my home when I get old/retired because some *****hat decides they want a hundred extra school programs and have to raise property taxes.

Old 06-08-2018, 07:26 AM

5,349 posts, read 5,123,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyxjon View Post
It's mostly the perception that folks who come here from California bring their voting habits with them and are slowly turning Colorado into another California by voting for candidates and initiatives that lead to implementation of California-like things in Colorado (high taxes, lots of regulation, larger government, etc)

For the record, I lived in California, and while I like to visit from time to time, I don't want to live there again. And I don't want California here in Colorado. Been there, done that, no thanks.
For the average CO vs CA, this is it, along with blaming the increase in traffic and home prices on them, just like conservatives blaming everything that went wrong on Obama.

My personally, I like the people I personally know from / in CA and I don't have a problem with Californians moving here, but I think the state is very poorly governed and one of the most classist. It's the state that's the most unequal for a reason, either purposeful or ignorant policies meant at exclusion. It's liberalism that's hypocritical.

Examples:
Bay area property tax exemptions for existing owners
Severe building restrictions through zoning
Solar required on the rooftop of all new builds (0% about the environment, 100% about excluding new builds)
Water rights given away to farmers while the state runs dry
Inland valley cities taxed for pollution when the pollution actually blows in from the coast

Then there's other things from CA I don't like:
Keto diets
Raw water
Crypto traders
Kim K
A 'tech will solve all our problems' mindsest
The damn scooters
Environmental carbon filters on dirt bikes (such a low source of pollution that's away from population and a headache for riders in other states)
Poo and trash in the streets
Constantly complaining about the weather when it's not perfect

Ok, rant over...

A lot of CAs problems are very difficult and would be hard for anyone to govern, but I think they could do a much better job than they are.

Old 06-08-2018, 07:35 AM

13,401 posts, read 28,714,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyxjon View Post

Oh yeah, maybe back in early nineties there was some issue regarding horses, thought my brother was going to blow a gasket. If you were ever to Pine back then, there was nothing there except acreage and up the mountain The Buck Snort Saloon. Not sure about now, last visit was 8 years ago.

Old 06-08-2018, 07:37 AM

369 posts, read 325,111 times
Just as some Denverites are vocally bashing Californicators, I frequently disparage Denverites.
I see nothing but negatives to residing in that smog laden parking lot. My assumption is the attraction is employment.
Jim

Old 06-08-2018, 07:42 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times
No problem with California. Grew up there.

Curiosity about why posters would hang out on Denver and Colorado forums continually asking why anyone would live there while extolling the virtues of other cities and the superiority of California and L.A.? Sure.

*And for the record...growing up in California in the 70s, I heard plenty of Californians lamenting the rapid growth, increased COL, traffic etc from the influx of people immigrating from other states. Nothing new there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver