U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2018, 12:18 PM

7,901 posts, read 2,744,412 times

Advertisements

So, okay, as an old-school newpaper junkie I was disappointed to find that the Denver Post is a pathetic shadow of its former glory, an investment firm's idea of a cost-effective media machine.

But now a good number of former Posters are forming a new entity, the Colorado Sun... which, ironically, I read about in what may be one of the last remaining real newspapers.

But on reading the article, all I could do was sigh, then sigh harder, then sigh hard enough to make my dog climb grumpily out of my lap. See, the Sun isn't going to be just another news source, or blog, or whatever... because it's going to use ***blockchain***!

Uh-huh. I'm sure that will excite people who thought weblogs were going to completely revolutionize life as we know it. But in the end, blogs are just a web page with easy online modification - sort of a sedan to a web page's coupe, allowing passenger-editors to get in and out more easily. It was about as revolutionary as a new web color in the palette, and while web-enabled editing etc. has changed the game a little, none of it was a vast transformation of the medium.

So some dedicated Post staffers are banding together with a blockchain magnate to... well, there are two views. In their view, creating a news site/blog with blockchain! involved is utterly radical and transformative and innovative. In the eyes of someone who's watched publishing, news and the web evolve for a long time (the last, since its earliest, feeblest days), all I see is yet another web news site with a fairly meaningless bit of trendoid/fad/jargonism tacked on.

I don't know any of the Post folks in this, but I do know a number of their colleagues/drinking buddies from New England papers who went through the same downsizing and de-newsing, Pulitzer winners among them. And I write as a writer, editor and publisher who has committed journalism occasionally.

I wish them well, but trumpeting now with blockchain! on the one hand and saying flat-out they aren't going to be doing real journalism - I quote, "We will break news, but we won't be doing breaking news." - means they are just another public blog, another newsy-ish site run by people who will be rewriting stories from other sources and hoping an indifferent audience ignorant of what comprises journalism will visit... enough to feed the mighty ad-revenue machine. (But by gosh and the ghost of Perry White, they will be doing it right, not the way some NY suits tell them to!) Seen it before, all the way back to little eight-page throwaways that were going to completely revolutionize news in their town. And prior news sites, from the wannabe individual to ones with real chops.

The almost journalism-free Front Range needs a real "newspaper" even if no dead trees are ever involved. But a razzle-dazzle take on a news blog with no real reporting and hey, look, blockchain! as the hook... go back to the barstools, guys.

And that's sad to have to say.

Old 06-17-2018, 04:13 PM

14,465 posts, read 22,312,403 times
News sucks, sold to the highest bidder.

I read the first page of this day in Pueblo called the Chieftain. After Trump facilitated world peace in the Korean Peninsula and was shown to be on the exonerated end of disgusting corruption and weaponized politicized FBI and DOJ scandals via the misunderstood and misinterpreted IG Report, all they mentioned about our awesome President is that his administration is being sued by some whackjob in New York.

They ignore the good news and search for scandals despite the lack of crimes committed aka Trump Russian collusion.

The Denver Post was always a POS rag and the Rocky Mountain News was always superior.

Old 06-17-2018, 04:25 PM

I think you're looking for the Troll Times. It's usually racked between ammo and PBR.

Old 06-17-2018, 08:20 PM

14,465 posts, read 22,312,403 times
I hear ya.

I'm a rare breed.

Not slobbering all over the Fakestream Lamestream Blamestream Mainstream media 24/7 is a strange thing these days.

Between google, Facebook, twitter, myface, abc, cbs, nbc, bmsnbc, Huffington puffington post, nyt, academia, snl and Hollywood, not to mention your local tv news and newspapers, y'all don't have to waste a second forming a thought in your head.

You can just burp out the condensed garbage that your mentors dole out for you.

Those of us beer guzzlin gun toters gotta search long and hard for a speck of Truth these days.

Last edited by McGowdog; 06-17-2018 at 08:29 PM..

Old 06-17-2018, 08:41 PM

6,895 posts, read 6,475,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
News sucks, sold to the highest bidder.

I read the first page of this day in Pueblo called the Chieftain. After Trump facilitated world peace in the Korean Peninsula and was shown to be on the exonerated end of disgusting corruption and weaponized politicized FBI and DOJ scandals via the misunderstood and misinterpreted IG Report, all they mentioned about our awesome President is that his administration is being sued by some whackjob in New York.

They ignore the good news and search for scandals despite the lack of crimes committed aka Trump Russian collusion.

The Denver Post was always a POS rag and the Rocky Mountain News was always superior.
17 indictments and 5 guilty pleas. Yeah nothing to see here. We should shut it down because it’s a witch hunt. (That keeps finding witches)

Just because you don’t like the news doesn’t make it untrue. Don’t forget they also mentioned that he is forcing the separation of children from their parents at the border and trying to blame Democrats for his policy. All Senate Democrats just cosponsored a Bill to stop this. 0 Republicans are supporting. Your awesome president is a disgusting liar with zero conscience. Glad some of the news media is still doing its job and reporting on almost every time he lies even though it’s near impossible to keep up with.

Excited to see what The Sun looks like.

As for OP’s read on what they will be doing, I’m not sure I agree with your assessment. They aren’t going to be covering small day to day news like car crashes and house fires. They will be doing big local investigative stories is what it sounds like. I’m good with that.

It kind of seems like you saw the word “blockchain” and shut down because you don’t like new technology, not because of any real reason.

https://www.cpr.org/news/story/the-c...-and-tech-cash

Last edited by SkyDog77; 06-17-2018 at 09:02 PM..

Old 06-17-2018, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
As for OPís read on what they will be doing, Iím not sure I agree with your assessment. They arenít going to be covering small day to day news like car crashes and house fires. They will be doing big local investigative stories is what it sounds like. Iím good with that.
And gosh, that's a completely new and unfilled niche in journalism. Just what a startup in Denver needs to be.

Quote:
It kind of seems like you saw the word ďblockchainĒ and shut down because you donít like new technology, not because of any real reason.
Only in that "blockchain" has to do with the mission of a newspaper (in any medium) about as much as VR goggles have to do with breakfast cereal. It's a nonsense linkage intended to obscure that the Sun will be another third-rate non-news effort trying to substitute motion graphics for actual journalism.

Old 06-17-2018, 10:53 PM

2,181 posts, read 5,607,653 times
Quote:
Just because you don’t like the news doesn’t make it untrue. Don’t forget they also mentioned that he is forcing the separation of children from their parents at the border and trying to blame Democrats for his policy. All Senate Democrats just cosponsored a Bill to stop this. 0 Republicans are supporting. Your awesome president is a disgusting liar with zero conscience. Glad some of the news media is still doing its job and reporting on almost every time he lies even though it’s near impossible to keep up with.

Excited to see what The Sun looks like.
I'm not excited to see what The Sun looks like. Quite frankly, I don't care. I've been fine without the Denver Post for quite some time now and there are plenty of other sources for local news.

I had to LOL at the above re: separating children. Maybe if their parents followed the rules and respected our immigration laws and our country, they wouldn't have to worry about this happening. Boo hoo. And yes, it happened under President Obama as well. Just because you don't like the news doesn't make it untrue!

Old 06-18-2018, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
And gosh, that's a completely new and unfilled niche in journalism. Just what a startup in Denver needs to be.

Only in that "blockchain" has to do with the mission of a newspaper (in any medium) about as much as VR goggles have to do with breakfast cereal. It's a nonsense linkage intended to obscure that the Sun will be another third-rate non-news effort trying to substitute motion graphics for actual journalism.
Quote:
Two years of funding, provided as a grant from blockchain venture capitalists
The horror!!

Last edited by SkyDog77; 06-18-2018 at 06:34 AM..

Old 06-18-2018, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyxjon View Post

I had to LOL at the above re: separating children. Maybe if their parents followed the rules and respected our immigration laws and our country, they wouldn't have to worry about this happening. Boo hoo. And yes, it happened under President Obama as well. Just because you don't like the news doesn't make it untrue!
Punishing children and saying it’s alright because of their parents’ decision. Not sure how you sleep at night.

As for Obama. Not the same. Not even close to the same. This is new policy and solely driven by Trump. Blaming Obama is ludicrous.

What you need to know about the Trump administration

Old 06-18-2018, 09:12 AM

2,181 posts, read 5,607,653 times
Quote:
Punishing children and saying itís alright because of their parentsí decision. Not sure how you sleep at night.
I sleep VERY well at night knowing that someone actually gives a damn about enforcing our immigration laws.

Quote:
As for Obama. Not the same. Not even close to the same. This is new policy and solely driven by Trump. Blaming Obama is ludicrous.

What you need to know about the Trump administration
I didn't blame Obama for anything. I simply said that it (i.e. children being separated from parents) happened during the Obama administration as well. Maybe not as often, but it happened. Oh well!

Politifact isn't always reliable, either. Just like any other news source.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or