U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2018, 10:29 AM

1,787 posts, read 1,125,055 times

Advertisements

The city itself? Yes - but in a backwards type of way. For instance some guy called me gay for wearing a Hawaiian shirt at a dive bar. Denver is also filled with millennial's who flocked from conservative towns in the Midwest favor of "the big city" to be surrounded by their kind.

But compared to the East Coast, Denver as a whole is definitely more Libertarian with Conservative pockets mixed in. In the metro area, it can get real Bible thumping Republican fast when you drive out of the city.

Nothing was more annoying than the Hillary vote in DEN for reasons like "she's the most qualified" or "she's a woman." Bring up any Clinton scandal and they'll get triggered real fast. Most of my guy friends either voted 3rd party or for Trump in Denver.

Hard to believe that L.A. County had more support for Trump than Denver County - DEN was like 73 to 18 percent and LA was 71 to 22, something like that.

I wouldn't say Denver is "in your face" Liberal like Portland or San Francisco. Los Angeles isn't even that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2018, 10:32 AM

75 posts, read 158,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unbeliever View Post
All of the Colorado "cities" are liberal, but where are the cities that aren't, except maybe Oklahoma? I moved here thinking that I was getting the Colorado of 40 years ago, but they passed draconian gun control measures as soon as I got here and legalized pot. The departing Governor is a Democrat and his replacement certainly will be. Coloradans aren't as in your face as New York, California or Illinois liberals, but they certainly vote that way.
That's honestly all I needed to know. I don't care if people are liberal or anything for that matter. I just don't like people constantly pushing their ideals on me whether liberal or conservative. I'm a live and let live kind of person. I was just making sure Denver wasn't like California in that regard.

Old 06-21-2018, 10:35 AM

75 posts, read 158,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N610DL View Post
The city itself? Yes - but in a backwards type of way. For instance some guy called me gay for wearing a Hawaiian shirt at a dive bar. Denver is also filled with millennial's who flocked from conservative towns in favor of "the big city" to be surrounded by their kind.

But compared to the East Coast, Denver as a whole is definitely more Libertarian with Conservative pockets mixed in. In the metro area, it can get real Bible thumping Republican fast when you drive out of the city.

Nothing was more annoying than the Hillary vote in DEN for reasons like "she's the most qualified" or "she's a woman." Bring up any Clinton scandal and they'll get triggered real fast. Most of my guy friends either voted 3rd party or for Trump in Denver.

Hard to believe that L.A. County had more support for Trump than Denver County - DEN was like 73 to 18 percent and LA was 71 to 22, something like that.
Damn good info. Also why would anyone care about a Hawaiian shirt in a dive bar? Some of the dive joints I go to I'm just happy that all the people in the bar have a shirt ON. lol

Old 06-21-2018, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCIV View Post
Damn good info. Also why would anyone care about a Hawaiian shirt in a dive bar? Some of the dive joints I go to I'm just happy that all the people in the bar have a shirt ON. lol
Extremely drunk and high altitude don't mix

I'll add that I'll take a Liberal Democrat who is open to all viewpoints and have an informed conversation than an independent who judges you based on who you voted for in the election. Denver has a lot of the latter.

Old 06-21-2018, 10:48 AM

13,943 posts, read 20,190,335 times
But, when it decided here that Denver is/is not liberal, will we be safe?

Old 06-21-2018, 09:25 PM

437 posts, read 698,060 times
Denver and Colorado have a legacy of "live and let live," or libertarianism in its most simple form.

I've always felt Denver was the farthest east Western city rather than the farthest west Eastern city.

Old 06-22-2018, 02:28 AM

9,224 posts, read 15,898,476 times
People don’t discuss politics here like in SF, but the city is liberal.

Old 06-22-2018, 06:08 AM

174 posts, read 107,992 times
If you look at Denver through online sources than yeah, people are pretty liberal. While out and about I find its more or a live and let live kind of place. I live in A more blue collar area though. Cap Hill is probably a little different from Lakewood Id guess.

Old 06-22-2018, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBrian View Post
Denver and Colorado have a legacy of "live and let live," or libertarianism in its most simple form.

I've always felt Denver was the farthest east Western city rather than the farthest west Eastern city.
I think it's gone from "live and let live" to more a self absorbed Portland, OR type culture. More like "Live and let live and you do the same, or else."

Old 06-22-2018, 10:39 AM

13,675 posts, read 13,485,460 times
I can't really tell you, frankly. I was raised in a very devotedly Republican family in a mostly blue state. After years of being outnumbered and belittled in my family for my political beliefs, I tend to gravitate toward "the liberals." My friends here are pretty laid back about their political beliefs though. I have some conservative friends, but I'm not close to them. Almost no one I know here is a Trump supporter, even if they may be a Republican. I've found people just aren't that obnoxious about their beliefs, whatever they may be. Jersey is very... "in your face." Denver not so much.

Case in point, I once had an anti-Bush bumper sticker on my car back home - basically it said "Defend America - Defeat Bush." I was driving along when an old man started blaring his horn at me and shaking his fist. I thought I had cut him off or something and pulled to the side of the road to apologize, but he kept driving past screaming incoherently and literally shaking his fist at me. I was upset. I really wracked my brain over the last few minutes as to what could have upset him so much. Traffic had not been bad and I had basically had that stretch of residential road to myself, driving in the same lane for quite some time. I literally had been doing nothing but driving in a straight line. Eventually, I realized it was my bumper sticker that had ticked the guy off. If I'd known that was it, I would have just kept driving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or