U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2018, 01:39 PM

73 posts, read 36,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
In a dry climate like ours evaporative cooling works much better and more efficiently than air conditioning does.
Noted! I have so much to learn! Evaporative cooling would do nothing with our humidity. We're usually at 70 to 80% in New Orleans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2018, 02:11 PM

4,837 posts, read 4,952,340 times
I bought a room AC today.

Worth it!

Old 06-29-2018, 02:13 PM

8,602 posts, read 3,032,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copymutt View Post
Evaporate coolers work well w/ low humidity and Denver certainly qualifies. Yes to the window unit even if you have to keep manually adding water. You won't notice an increase in your electric bill. You'll chill right out.
I wouldn't say "no change" - they do draw a significant amount of power, just a fraction of what closed-system AC does.

I bought this house in August. The prior owner had had a roof-mounted evaporative cooler removed and not replaced it with anything (although he left behind a portable AC unit, along with a nearly new roof!)

I got through a couple of hot days last fall fine. I was hoping not to have to install any kind of cooling, since they'd lived here two years without it, but the first stretch of hot days this year sent me off for a 4700CFM unit, which I installed through-wall. I have had only AC for the last mumblety years but in this climate the evap cooler works wonderfully. It does draw about 1000 watts on high/cool, 500 watts on low/cool, and 100 watts less with the water pump turned on (vent mode).

That 1000 watts is one-third to one-quarter the power usage of AC, but it does add up a little.

Old 06-29-2018, 02:25 PM

14,032 posts, read 20,343,555 times
We lived in a popped bungalow in Bonnie Brae for 24 years without AC.

Large overhangs help.
Willingness to tough it out helps.
Trees help.
Being at home all day and controlling the windows openings and closings helps.
Not wanting to spend $10+K to upgrade furnace and add AC helps.

Now, we live in the modern cube.

We have AC and we use it.
Our house design is from New Zealand where the weather is much moderate.
Here, AC is a must.

Old 06-29-2018, 02:31 PM

6,947 posts, read 6,555,534 times
One of my tenants called with a dead A/C unit this morning. Good times.

Old 06-29-2018, 02:57 PM

21,873 posts, read 23,149,638 times
We didn't have A/C for the first 5 years we lived in our home (around 20 years ago). We did have a whole-house fan. We opened the windows at night and ran that fan. In the morning we'd whoosh out the house while it was still cooler outside than inside, then close all the windows and blinds and keep electricity usage to a minimum. But it wasn't 105 degrees out either.

Now we have an old, inefficient A/C that needs to be replaced but it also needs to wait until next year if possible. When it's cool enough at night, we do still run the fan - because we prefer fresh outside air anyway. This past week it really hasn't cooled off until we are all asleep. My adult daughter keeps a free standing evaporative cooler running in her room.

Old 06-29-2018, 03:06 PM

87,000 posts, read 102,581,357 times
When we moved here in 1980, many people said "You don't need air-conditioning in Denver". They would say that even as they were sweltering. Of course, a lot of these people worked full time and didn't have to deal with the heat during the day as most workplaces, even then, were air-conditioned. The first summer we were here (1981) was hellacious! We were lucky that our apt. had a swamp cooler, something we had no experience with, as we came here from Illinois. The swamp cooler worked pretty well, certainly better than the nothing that a lot of our friends/co-workers had. We bought a new (for us) car in the summer of 1982, and were so excited that it had A/C, our first car to have it. One of the same friends smiled condescendingly and said, "You don't need an air-conditioned car in Denver". I said "You do if you're a visiting nurse". Of course, if you simply drove to work in the morning, the vast majority of days you didn't need any cooling, and for the afternoon drive home, as long as it wasn't too long, you'd survive w/o it. To answer Indigo Cardinal's comment about a townhouse built in 1985 w/o air-conditioning, homes were not built with A/C in those early days that we lived here. I really don't know when builders started adding central air.

The first house we owned was built in 1978 and had no CAC. We put a room A/C in the master bedroom. It did at least cool the br, and the house had a fairly open floor plan, so it helped cool the rest of the house as well. The second house we bought, our present home, was built in 1980, and even as a "semi-custom" had no A/C. It did have a whole house fan which we dubbed "the train" as that's what it sounds like when it is running. It did no good when it was very hot outside, either. We bought a big room A/C and put it in the kitchen. (By this time we had two kids and I only worked part-time, was home a lot more than when we bought the first house.) We put ceiling fans in all the bedrooms and also in the kitchen, which faces north.

We once had an estimate for CAC which was outrageous. We went back and forth over whether to get a swamp cooler. We were just about ready to get one when our next door neighbor told us that his had gotten full of mold and had to be removed. So we got another estimate for CAC which was more reasonable, and had it installed. Some summers we've used it a lot, and some, not so much.

For immediate relief from the heat OP, I'd recommend buying a room A/C if you want to move out of the basement. Consider CAC.

Old 06-29-2018, 05:23 PM

3,192 posts, read 2,643,445 times
I'm fine with the indoor temperature as long as it's below 85 degrees indoors. In my apartment complex, they cool the building, so I don't need to run my individual unit.

Old 06-29-2018, 08:44 PM

12,279 posts, read 8,088,043 times
My problem isn't my house but the temperature in my garage. Our garage door button has a temp gauge on it and it registered at 111 yesterday afternoon. Of course that is right after we parked the cars in there after driving in the record heat. We did have our AC tuned up about a month ago and we were told it is on its last leg. This time next year we will be purchasing a new unit. We also have an attic fan that we use in the evening when it starts cooling down a bit.

Old 06-29-2018, 08:47 PM

21,177 posts, read 11,780,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
My problem isn't my house but the temperature in my garage. Our garage door button has a temp gauge on it and it registered at 111 yesterday afternoon. Of course that is right after we parked the cars in there after driving in the record heat. We did have our AC tuned up about a month ago and we were told it is on its last leg. This time next year we will purchasing a new unit. We also have an attic fan that we use in the evening when it starts cooling down a bit.
this time next year? You'd be better off if you purchase it in the fall or the spring, before peak AC need hits but before or after peak heating season too. You'll get a better deal from someone who is not working that much and has time to fill. And with HVAC, a good install is the biggest piece of the puzzle
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or