U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2018, 01:51 PM

2,567 posts, read 1,831,619 times

Advertisements

IMO, an ideal set-up for Denver (or any western city) is a ducted, high efficiency evap cooler AND a central AC system (not run at the same time, of course.) You can pick which one to use based on the outdoor humidity and/or air pollution that particular day.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2018, 01:57 PM

8,612 posts, read 3,037,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
IMO, an ideal set-up for Denver (or any western city) is a ducted, high efficiency evap cooler AND a central AC system (not run at the same time, of course.) You can pick which one to use based on the outdoor humidity and/or air pollution that particular day.
Why not just have several houses, each one located and outfitted optimally for a particular type of weather?

Old 07-05-2018, 02:36 PM

6,947 posts, read 6,558,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Why not just have several houses, each one located and outfitted optimally for a particular type of weather?

I don’t think this is that odd. I have an a/c and a whole house fan. My parents have a swamp and an a/c. The a/c’s don’t get run that often, but man are they nice to have.

Last edited by SkyDog77; 07-05-2018 at 02:44 PM..

Old 07-05-2018, 02:50 PM

2,567 posts, read 1,831,619 times
^^^^ Thanks, SkyDog. If you have the budget and want to be eco-friendly, it's the way to go.

Old 07-05-2018, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
I donít think this is that odd. I have an a/c and a whole house fan. My parents have a swamp and an a/c. The a/cís donít get run that often, but man are they nice to have.
Quote:
^^^^ Thanks, SkyDog. If you have the budget and want to be eco-friendly, it's the way to go.
I'm not sure it's budget-sensible unless you're at a level where keeping several cars around to cover every need is pocket change; I'm not sure it's eco-friendly to install two complete cooling systems, either, especially a refrigerant system as a seldom-used backup.

Reminds me of the mini-mansions covering Northern California at the time I left; it wasn't unusual for them to have not only a massive, double-everything kitchen but a secondary (normal-scale) kitchen for caterers or whatever to use. White Knight, mouse trap, Carroll lives. Which leads to Red Queen, running fast, getting nowhere...

Old 07-05-2018, 03:13 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure it's budget-sensible unless you're at a level where keeping several cars around to cover every need is pocket change; I'm not sure it's eco-friendly to install two complete cooling systems, either, especially a refrigerant system as a seldom-used backup.

Reminds me of the mini-mansions covering Northern California at the time I left; it wasn't unusual for them to have not only a massive, double-everything kitchen but a secondary (normal-scale) kitchen for caterers or whatever to use. White Knight, mouse trap, Carroll lives. Which leads to Red Queen, running fast, getting nowhere...
I have two heat systems as well.

We have a central air moving system/HEPA air exchanger/humidifier that is attached to a forced air furnace. It wasn’t too much more money to attach the a/c to it. Our main heating is done through in-floor hot water radiant powered by a very efficient boiler. We never use the forced air heat unless we have been out of town and are trying to heat the house up quickly. The fan is often running to keep the air fresh and humidified in the winter.

In the grand scheme of the cost of building, adding an a/c to a furnace is pretty nominal.

Old 07-05-2018, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
In the grand scheme of the cost of building, adding an a/c to a furnace is pretty nominal.
True. But not all houses have ducted-air heat to start with. (I also have less objection on any grounds to multiple heating systems, especially in cold climates. Much room for cost balancing over the season and the year, and potentially life-saving.)

But evaporative cooling is not only much cheaper no matter what route you take with it, it's a bit like geo power in that you're getting something of a free ride from the local climate. It's also vastly less sensitive to exacting installation needs; efficiency and comfort with AC can fall off pretty fast if ducting, airflow, unit sizing etc. aren't done correctly.

I've had AC for the last 30 years, in places you can't live without it. (Check today's forecast for inland New England!) I did without cooling until the first hot week showed me the former owners were idiots, and put in an evap system. Not one complaint, even on a day like today where the slightly elevated humidity is limiting the cool a bit. I can't see spending $10k for an AC add-on to my furnace for the few days a year evap isn't quite cool enough.

Old 07-05-2018, 08:30 PM

Quote:
True. But not all houses have ducted-air heat to start with. (I also have less objection on any grounds to multiple heating systems, especially in cold climates. Much room for cost balancing over the season and the year, and potentially life-saving.)

But evaporative cooling is not only much cheaper no matter what route you take with it, it's a bit like geo power in that you're getting something of a free ride from the local climate. It's also vastly less sensitive to exacting installation needs; efficiency and comfort with AC can fall off pretty fast if ducting, airflow, unit sizing etc. aren't done correctly.

I've had AC for the last 30 years, in places you can't live without it. (Check today's forecast for inland New England!) I did without cooling until the first hot week showed me the former owners were idiots, and put in an evap system. Not one complaint, even on a day like today where the slightly elevated humidity is limiting the cool a bit. I can't see spending $10k for an AC add-on to my furnace for the few days a year evap isn't quite cool enough.
My house was closed up starting around 8:00am today. The A/C kicked on in the afternoon for a little bit, but now the windows are all open and the whole house fan is cranking cool air in. With the fires I do love having the ability to close up the house when the air quality is poor and use the HEPA filtered air exchanger combined with A/C.

Old 07-05-2018, 08:47 PM

21,873 posts, read 23,152,325 times
Quote:
We live on a very modest home and have both a whole-house fan and a/c. The fan was installed when we bought the home because a/c was not in our budget. We used just that for 5 years then installed a/c. (Right before the Hayman fire - to reiterate Skydog's comment regarding air quality). We now use both, as described by Skydog. In the evenings, we usually open up the house and run the fan,; mornings we whoosh out the house then close 'er up and shut all the blinds. The a/c runs during the day as needed.

Last edited by maciesmom; 07-05-2018 at 09:03 PM..

Old 07-05-2018, 10:14 PM

960 posts, read 1,268,207 times
I open my windows at night. Use a window fan. Keep my security door open for ventilation. And use a swamp cooler in the bedroom and AC in the living room. I am getting solar screens installed next week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or