U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2018, 06:51 PM

13,658 posts, read 13,426,400 times

Advertisements

I have a finished basement, and that's where I spend all my time with the dogs and the cat. They sleep on the tile floor, and I sit in front of a fan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2018, 07:42 AM

528 posts, read 249,441 times
if you dont have security concerns open all the windows after sunset and all night. maybe use a box fan in one or two windows. shutter the house after sunrise, close the windows and drapes. During the day time its foolish to keep the windows open if the inside of the house is 80F but the outside is 100F

we have a evaportive cooler and run that in the evening. With the cooler running if we use the kitchen we open a window in that room till we are done.

Old 06-29-2018, 10:44 AM

20,709 posts, read 11,501,424 times
I wouldn't be dealing with it. Being able to function would be worth the cost of getting an air condition for me - either a portable units with a hose that can vent through just about any window, or adding ductwork to use the existing system or working with a professional to figure out a separate system for the basement area. If I were actually using my basement, that would be a top priority for me.

Old 06-29-2018, 10:48 AM

6,509 posts, read 10,147,919 times
Finished basement's gonna be your best bet if you don't have AC. I'd look into getting a window-mounted evaporative cooler. Next door neighbor hard one. It was kind of a PITA to hook up and store, but the one unit kept the main floor of his house nice and cool.

Old 06-29-2018, 11:50 AM

1,552 posts, read 2,806,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I wouldn't be dealing with it.
Agree. In the mountains, it's one thing. In the Metro area, no way would I live in a place without A/C.

Old 06-29-2018, 12:49 PM

73 posts, read 35,735 times
There are always window units. We live in LA, and we'd die without air. We may have a move to the Denver area, so we're researching and finding that many homes don't have AC! Some have swamp coolers, but how does that fare in the dead of summer? I'm reading that y'all are going to be experiencing a heat wave, soon! Hang in there!

Old 06-29-2018, 12:52 PM

6,509 posts, read 10,147,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by n0tsomuch View Post
There are always window units. We live in LA, and we'd die without air. We may have a move to the Denver area, so we're researching and finding that many homes don't have AC! Some have swamp coolers, but how does that fare in the dead of summer? I'm reading that y'all are going to be experiencing a heat wave, soon! Hang in there!
In a dry climate like ours evaporative cooling works much better and more efficiently than air conditioning does.

Old 06-29-2018, 12:55 PM

369 posts, read 148,789 times
Evaporate coolers work well w/ low humidity and Denver certainly qualifies. Yes to the window unit even if you have to keep manually adding water. You won't notice an increase in your electric bill. You'll chill right out.

Old 06-29-2018, 01:19 PM

2,053 posts, read 1,235,057 times
My old townhouse didn't have AC when I bought it (it was built in 1985, I don't know if that explains why), and it actually wasn't a problem most of the time--the windows all faced east and west, but the townhouses in the rows next to us were close enough that even at the height of summer, I'd only get sunlight coming through the windows from about 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. The west-facing bedroom might be uncomfortable for a few hours, but for a long time, it was a 'spare room', so it wasn't a big deal. I used to leave my uppermost windows slightly cracked a lot--the townhouse was three stories high, so while it wouldn't have been impossible to get up to the uppermost windows, there wouldn't have been a way to do it without drawing a lot of attention to yourself and risking getting caught. (A lot of my neighbors were either shift workers, or a lot of SAHMs, so there were usually a lot of people around at any time.)

At some point, the furnace at the house gave out, so I decided while I was replacing that, I was going to get central AC installed as well. It was expensive, but worth it, especially given that I wound up acquiring a series of roommates who needed to use the aforementioned west bedroom as their room. And either summers started getting hotter, or I just grew more intolerant of heat, because I reached a point where I couldn't take it anymore (and that was after living over ten years without it.)

My current home already had central AC installed when I bought it--this house was built in 2001. I'm extremely grateful for it, because a lot of my windows face east and south, so I get a lot of sunlight from pretty much dawn til (at this time of year) 3:30 p.m. (I have no west-facing windows--this is a paired home.)

Old 06-29-2018, 01:25 PM

20,709 posts, read 11,501,424 times
I have a relative with a swamp cooler and IMO, no, it absolutely does not work as well as central air. Sure, it's better than nothing but I've spent more than enough time there to know that I would not be comfortable living in my relative's house.

And unlike Indigo Cardinal, my paired house faces west, so it gets HOT in here in the afternoon and evening, even when the temps aren't as high as they have been the past couple of days. But the AC doesn't spend that much time on, because the house is so well insulated that once it's cooled off, it does a pretty good job of staying that way. I did finally get around to putting in a couple of ceiling fans (after 3.5 years here) and those esp. help amplify the benefit of the central air.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or