U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2018, 09:34 AM

5,091 posts, read 2,145,040 times

Advertisements

Though I haven't lived there as a resident, I've stayed there several times temporarily, which gave me insight to life as a resident. It sure felt like living there.

No, I actually tacked on the last video just shortly ago. I wasn't sure of the video I saw previously (a few weeks ago), so included it, though before viewing/checking it. Until I can view it, I'll remove it since I'm not sure of its contents.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 06-29-2018 at 09:52 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2018, 09:41 AM

6,561 posts, read 10,274,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
^ Well, that's BS that I ever said I lived in Denver. I challenge anyone to find a single post on this forum indicating that, or even anything along those lines.

No, I actually tacked on the last video just shortly ago. I wasn't sure of the video I saw previously (a few weeks ago), so included it, though before viewing/checking it. Until I can view it, I'll remove it since I'm not sure of its contents.
Challenge accepted. The title of the thread is Houston Vs. Denver. Here's your response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
I've lived in both. I can't see any justification for the hype in Denver. Downtown Denver isn't any more developed than Houston. Light rail isn't used much there, as both cities are heavily dependent on vehicles. Light rail, Metro, ehh.

Both have horrible traffic at rush hour. Houston and TX are much better at widening roads and fixing bottlenecks than Denver and CO, both in the quickness of moving into action, and the speed of ending the repairs (believe it or not). People might think construction takes long in Houston, but it's at least double the time in Denver. The "workers" there look like they're always on break(!)

Diversity and dining are much broader and richer in Houston. People are more of one vanilla type in Denver. Houston has all shades and varieties. I used to think that Denver might be better for white people, until I found that they are mostly cold, self-absorbed types. No fun at all. Denver has a complete absence of southern hospitality and open friendliness. People keep to themselves like they are too busy or important to talk to you. They get irritated if you try to strike up a conversation, though they'll hide it inside.

Cost of living is much higher in Denver, although Houston is catching up.

There are only few things I can think of that are better about Denver. You don't have to worry about hurricanes and flooding. The climate is drier and more comfortable. Of course, Denver sucks in the long winter months. Denver is hot in the summer too (a dry hot), so it's not necessarily a huge difference then. But overall, the lower humidity is nice. I've learned not to move or relocate based on weather though.
Are you or are you not implying right there that you live/lived in Denver? Regardless, it's a misleading, bulls*&t statement and you know it.

Old 06-29-2018, 09:50 AM

12,281 posts, read 8,092,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
There are things in your blog that I don't have a problem with, and there are things in there that (as usual with you) are over-generalizations, projections, and items that lack context. At least you stopped telling people the total BS line that you "live/lived in Denver." I'll give you credit again for that.

I got a kick out of your assertion that people from Colorado are narrow-minded and judgmental yet in your last paragraph you yourself narrow-mindedly and judgmentally call out people with piercings and tattoos. Hypocrite much?

Your second Youtube video link is a real gem. Did you even watch it? I'm guessing not because the late Yogi Berra would love it. Gonna post it here because I don't wanna give you the chance to delete it before others can see it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQAVf6cDGn0
I have to spread the rep around before I can rep you again. +10

Old 06-29-2018, 10:34 AM

1,790 posts, read 1,140,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
Are there people here that moved to Denver (or Colorado in general) specifically because of the mountains/scenery/outdoor lifestyle?

Did it work out the way you planned? Was it everything you expected it to be? Do you have any regrets (or did you eventually grow tired of it and leave?)
It was almost 3 years ago I had a job offer in CO. I was here in CA and thought I needed a change. A few years before that I was considering moving back to the NYC area and then the focus changed to a new city altogether. The main choices I was looking at back in 2015 were Austin, Tampa, and Denver. I was 28 and single and I'm turning 31 next month.

I got the job offer in Denver and I'm not gonna lie, I was pretty excited. I even went on a trip with my Dad there (very pro-Denver but lives in NJ) but I had a really odd feeling about moving there in late 2015 at least right then. IDK what it was, just a weird vibe of my personality fitting into the city.

Finally in early 2016, I lost my job as a contractor and took the job I tabled in 2015 (also contracting) and basically faced the music. Either take the job or go on unemployment in L.A. So I went and I stayed for 1.75 years.

I will say as someone who's bi-coastal, Denver rubbed me the wrong way a bit. Either people (mainly women) liked me or really didn't like me based on personality. There is an undertone of distrust and surliness by the locals of people from the Northeast (we are regarded as a**holes) and Californian's (locals think are scum of the Earth.) I fit into both these categories so I was double screwed. Believe it or not, I met the best friends I know in DEN at the neighborhood bar or friends of friends. Any they were all from Texas or Southern Colorado.

Honestly, I did all the things I was supposed to do in moving to a new city - I joined sports leagues, dating apps, attempted to cozy up to colleges at work, etc. And dating was pathetic compared to Los Angeles, IMHO. In the end, I'll always visit but L.A. has been way better to me than anything DEN could ever be. If anything, at least with work, it was a bluff because the company that begged me to move there canned me for no reason a little over the year after the fact. I never melt more spineless and flaky people in the service industry, at work, clients, than in CO.

In summary, I came in with an open mind and open heart. In the end, I burned through a lot of my savings I moved out with, I got way stressed out about dating, the job I had (after the one I moved for) really burnt me the hell out, and the close friends I made out there knew I needed to get out. Denver essentially made me an angry person compared to L.A. And I always say the only other place on earth that made me more ticked off was living in the NYC-area in my early 20s.

Take this with a grain of salt but I felt a lot of people in CO were like cheap amusement park operators - have fun on our cool aid (it's not Disney World but it's good enough for us) and have a good time. But if you get hurt few are going to care or help you out. And if you leave, don't let the door hit you on the way out.

In the end to answer your question, hard no. My work experience out there and a few really good friends but the rest was mixed to negative.

Last edited by N610DL; 06-29-2018 at 11:45 AM..

Old 06-29-2018, 10:56 AM

In 1998 I finally got into my first tech job in San Diego which was COBOL programming for the Y2K bug. Prior to that I was working in the mortgage service industry and I was servicing foreclosures from start to finish. Just before accepting the COBOL job I was offered another tech job in the Denver Tech Center by an REO (Real Estate Owned) company that knew I had interest in moving to Colorado. I had used their services while working foreclosures so I had a really good relationship with them. By the end of 1998 I discovered I really hated COBOL and I was ready to move to an area that was familiar to me and also had the potential for me to own a home. Owning a home in San Diego wasn't going to happen any time soon, if at all. The offer from the DTC company was still on the table so I took it. They paid for my Uhaul and at the end of January 1999 my dad helped me move out here. I lived in my uncle's basement in Boulder for about three months before I finally got my own studio apartment in Denver for around $350 a month. The daily drive from Boulder to the Tech Center was brutal even back then. I felt I fitted in here almost immediately. I met my wife in June of 1999 and we bought our first home together in 2000. We got married in 2001. I already loved hiking and embraced snowboarding to compensate for the lack of surf in the Rocky Mountain region. If the perfect opportunity presented itself I would move back to San Diego in a heart beat. It is my home land and I am an ocean lover. That being said I am rooted here and I am probably here to stay. I do love it here. Colorado has been great to me. I couldn't have done it without the support of my family that has lived here for generations. My aunt basically became my second mom for the first year I was here. Sunday dinners were a must and she kept me fed and happy the whole time.

Some people fit in here and some don't. There is plenty of room in this country so you just have to keep looking until you find something that fits your lifestyle and personality.

Old 06-29-2018, 11:37 AM

1,790 posts, read 1,140,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post

Some people fit in here and some don't. There is plenty of room in this country so you just have to keep looking until you find something that fits your lifestyle and personality.
That's not how large cities function at all - many come and fit in because it's diverse and accepting. No my experience with Denver.

Old 06-29-2018, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N610DL View Post
That's not how large cities function at all - many come and fit in because it's diverse and accepting. No my experience with Denver.
I am not sure what you mean by how large cities function. Your experience is different than a lot of other people's experience. In your opinion how does a large city function? I don't think I said anything about how this city functions. I have visited a lot of big cities and I have now lived in two relatively big cities. Actual city living is no longer for me. When I was younger it was. I am a suburbanite now but I love that the actual city is in reach when I want to do something in it.

I do agree that Denver isn't that diverse compared to other large cities but it is very much open to diversity if that makes any sense.

Old 06-29-2018, 03:34 PM

198 posts, read 136,689 times
Hubby and I moved just over two years ago (to Castle Rock, which is about 40 mins out from downtown). We moved away from family and friends in CA with the goal of finding a little more land and a little more time to play outdoors.

We both work from home (I switched jobs after we moved but continued to WFH). We lived in Stapleton for a bit and then moved to Castle Rock once we drove around the surrounding suburbs and found the spot we liked best.

I’m so happy that we moved here. We’re 5 minutes to the grocery store but encounter wildlife and have amazing mountain views. We have met a really interesting mix of people who have become close friends... our circle here is actually much more diverse socioeconomically, career wise, age wise, politics wise, even race wise than CA... makes for interesting conversations! People seem more willing to be friendly and not judgy here than CA.

We spend tons of time outside - mainly horseback riding and hiking. Our neighborhood has many miles of trails and open space so we don’t even have to drive anywhere if we don’t want to. Huge shift from CA where we were sausaged next to lots of other houses and had to hop in the car for a long time to do anything outdoors. In the winter, we ski / snowboard - it’s a tiny bit farther than if we moved more northwest, but still manageable for day trips.

I think the one thing I would love to have is a little more humidity because my skin basically dies in the winter, but it’s a small price to pay for living here!

Old 06-29-2018, 03:48 PM

753 posts, read 402,153 times
Moved here 25 years ago without a job. I now own my own business and a commercial building in the Denver area. Denver has gotten better ...and worse. Air quality, traffic and house prices have all gotten worse. The dining scene is way better than it once was. International flights are more plentiful. The front range is too crowded now for us. Too many people on the trails, too many people trying to get into the mountains. The city is LA in training.
We are retiring to western Colorado soon where Colorado is still Colorado and not California junior.

Old 06-29-2018, 04:26 PM

199 posts, read 135,991 times
We moved there for the outdoor lifestyle. We chose Denver because I was able to get a promotion/transfer there. If I were moving on my own (meaning no work transfer), I would have probably looked elsewhere.

Anyway, the city of Denver was more of a means to be near the mountains. Our jobs were there, and it was close enough to get to the mountains on the weekends. I didn't love or hate the city. It was just there. But I LOVED going to the mountains on the weekends. We had so much fun living there. We went way more often than I thought we would. Sometimes we would take a day trip to do hiking or motorcycle riding, and then make the trip again the next day because we loved it so much. I never found the traffic or people to be an issue, but we were coming from the horrible traffic of Houston. Maybe I just happen to be going at the right time/weekend/route, but I never had a traffic issue. Often times we would seek out the twisty, winding roads for motorcycle riding, hit the off-road vehicle trails, or look for the hiking trails that needed 4X4 to get to.

Did I say I loved it? Even if we just went to the Flat Irons, it was a blast.

Then my wife gets an offer at her previous job in Houston for a lot more money. On top of that, I had another offer for a promotion with my company...also back in Houston. I did not want to go, but she did. It was significant pay increase, but I was all for staying in Denver. Sadly, we are now back in Houston.

I almost wish I never would have moved to Denver because now I know how much fun I could have on a routine basis. I hate living in Houston, and now I know what I'm missing. My wife is starting to understand though. She misses it too, but I told her that I wouldn't move her again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver