U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2018, 08:54 AM

12,266 posts, read 8,053,070 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Funny, when we lived in Parker, people were hoping for a White Christmas for 2006. Well, like my supervisor/Director told me at work, “better watch what you wish for!”.

Oh, we had snow alright! A wrap-around blizzard hit and buried Denver metro. It was called The Holiday Blizzard. Definitely LOTS of snow fell.
Then it snowed once every week for about 6 weeks into 2007. My wife and I had flown out 3 days before the first storm that closed the airport. When we got back two weeks later our car was buried in snow in one of the offsite parking lots. Oh joy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2018, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alloo66 View Post
I moved here in May 2014, my dad died, I was 48, looking for somewhere where the economy was good, and I never been before. Moved from Honolulu, I temped at various places during my first year, couldn't land a permanent job. In January 2015, applied to be a bus operator and have been at my job ever since. I thought that it would be easy to live here, life here is hard.

I'm finally stablizing after 4 years. Eating out and medical insurance is more expensive than in HI, where they have to ship everything to. Not sure why. Definately, see growth as good here. Better to live in a growing city than a dying one. I miss diversity. Maybe, I'm not in the right demographic anymore. Interesting place.

I have lived in AZ, CA, OR, TX, and NM. Visited Philly, ATL, DET, and Chicago. People are nice, but CO is not the west. CO is a plains and Heartland State.
If I remember correctly Hawaii has universal healthcare, correct?

Old 07-19-2018, 09:00 AM

7,335 posts, read 16,605,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
Then it snowed once every week for about 6 weeks into 2007. My wife and I had flown out 3 days before the first storm that closed the airport. When we got back two weeks later our car was buried in snow in one of the offsite parking lots. Oh joy!
Just have to figure...….."just part of living there".

Old 07-19-2018, 09:14 PM

132 posts, read 84,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Funny, when we lived in Parker, people were hoping for a White Christmas for 2006. Well, like my supervisor/Director told me at work, “better watch what you wish for!”.

Oh, we had snow alright! A wrap-around blizzard hit and buried Denver metro. It was called The Holiday Blizzard. Definitely LOTS of snow fell.
My wife who lived in Co. previously just missed that blizzard leaving the state in August of that year. She always talks about the St.Paty's day blizzard a few years earlier. I'm like, " I want a blizzard!" She thinks I'm nuts😁, "no you don't she says."

Old 07-19-2018, 09:20 PM

6,912 posts, read 6,513,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevedore View Post
My wife who lived in Co. previously just missed that blizzard leaving the state in August of that year. She always talks about the St.Paty's day blizzard a few years earlier. I'm like, " I want a blizzard!" She thinks I'm nuts😁, "no you don't she says."
City closing blizzards are probably my favorite weather event. They don’t happen enough.

Old 07-19-2018, 09:20 PM

20,853 posts, read 39,090,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevedore View Post
My wife who lived in Co. previously just missed that blizzard leaving the state in August of that year. She always talks about the St.Paty's day blizzard a few years earlier. I'm like, " I want a blizzard!" She thinks I'm nuts��, "no you don't she says."
Blizzard? I got your blizzard!
2006-1221
Closed Denver airport for 3 days.

SURF'S UP !
Tell me your tales of relocating to Colorado-2006-1221-005-drift-front-garage.jpg
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 07-19-2018, 10:41 PM

13,965 posts, read 20,238,281 times
1982 December.
That was a blizzard.

Old 07-20-2018, 08:13 AM

How about the March 2003 blizzard? That was pretty big and it was my first experience with a blizzard. I just remember a lot of roofs collapsing including a dive we used to hang out at called Rome's.

Old 07-20-2018, 02:21 PM

1,249 posts, read 921,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
Are there people here that moved to Denver (or Colorado in general) specifically because of the mountains/scenery/outdoor lifestyle?

Did it work out the way you planned? Was it everything you expected it to be? Do you have any regrets (or did you eventually grow tired of it and leave?)

I am interested in hearing people's experiences that made plans to move to Denver/Colorado. I don't mean instances where your work relocated you, or you had an option to work relocate to Denver or some other location, I'm talking about folks that had a vision to move to the mountains (or near them) and made it happen.

Tell me your tales. Where you came from, ages, family situation, professional background, budget, where you ended up. Seems like I see a lot of people inquire about moving to Denver for the outdoor life/scenery/weather but never hear how it ended up working out for them.
Been here for 6 years to date now. I was in a dead end job during the downturn and not much was happening and all the bosses sons were getting hired cuz they lost their jobs. I as former military and there were recruiters offering positions for former officers in the West for much better pay than the south east. We figured we would take the chance and I always wanted to try living out here after a visit.

Company that brought me here cancelled the position. Found another job and now I'm #1 in sales making$$$$. Bought a home in 2013, made $200k now building another. Starting a family here all is good.

I will say that the dryness and intense sun gets old. You think great 300 days of sun! That sun just weighs on you. Its still better than the south in the summer with humidity, but CO could use a bit more.

I never thought I would miss the foliage but the ever brown is old.

Skiing and outdoor rec is great, but everyone else wants to do it at the sometime so traffic sucks.

Denver is overrated IMO and the burbs are pretty bland.

Overall its a great place, but its by no means chang ri la. If I had to move, it would depend on a job of course but maybe parts of Michigan or VA. I miss fall weather a lot and not a fan of the heat. This summer is not fun.

Old 07-20-2018, 02:42 PM

732 posts, read 387,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
How about the March 2003 blizzard? That was pretty big and it was my first experience with a blizzard. I just remember a lot of roofs collapsing including a dive we used to hang out at called Rome's.
Yep. We were living in the city then. Nothing moved. We have a picture of my wife in the backyard with a yardstick poking into the snow and you can just barely see an inch or two sticking out. I think it snowed for almost 3 days straight. Started as rain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver