U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-20-2018, 07:37 PM
 
729 posts, read 384,497 times
Reputation: 1151

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy87 View Post
Been here for 6 years to date now. I was in a dead end job during the downturn and not much was happening and all the bosses sons were getting hired cuz they lost their jobs. I as former military and there were recruiters offering positions for former officers in the West for much better pay than the south east. We figured we would take the chance and I always wanted to try living out here after a visit.

Company that brought me here cancelled the position. Found another job and now I'm #1 in sales making$$$$. Bought a home in 2013, made $200k now building another. Starting a family here all is good.

I will say that the dryness and intense sun gets old. You think great 300 days of sun! That sun just weighs on you. Its still better than the south in the summer with humidity, but CO could use a bit more.

I never thought I would miss the foliage but the ever brown is old.

Skiing and outdoor rec is great, but everyone else wants to do it at the sometime so traffic sucks.

Denver is overrated IMO and the burbs are pretty bland.

Overall its a great place, but its by no means chang ri la. If I had to move, it would depend on a job of course but maybe parts of Michigan or VA. I miss fall weather a lot and not a fan of the heat. This summer is not fun.
I donít get the brown comment. You need to get out west of town and youíll see some tremendous beauty. Stay off the I-70 and 285 corridor to avoid traffic, but my heavens there is so much to see that isnít brown. Pike National Forest, Staunton SP, Lost Creek Wilderness and so many other places. They take a little more ambition to get to, but so worth it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-22-2018, 07:42 AM
 
144 posts, read 108,454 times
Reputation: 280
It was 1987. I was 27, DH was 33. We both had good professional jobs in Erie, PA. We did a lot with the Erie ski club and vacationed in Colorado about once a year. A recruiter called DH about a position in Denver. He said I guess I should interview, see if I'll like the job before just saying yes, as he was that excited about the prospect. He interviewed, looked around, and took it. He's in a specialized profession with plenty of jobs, but it's one where you usually have to move for a job move. The economy wasn't that great in Denver at that time (oil bust period), but I was able to get a position in my field in about 2 1/2 months after our move. I had no job offers to start, but then all of a sudden I had three all in the same week. We rented an apartment for six months and then bought a cute little house in a neighborhood called Washington Park for about 80K -- Zillow OMG says it's worth about 700K now. We were in love with the place. During the summer and fall we'd drive up to Boulder Mountain Park or RMNP almost every weekend and do a family friendly hike, just a day trip on either Saturday or Sunday. We loved walking around our cute little older neighborhood with older homes and trees and going to Bonnie Brae for ice cream. And every other weekend in the winter, we'd do a front range deal and go ski for the day. We'd usually head out to the mountains about 10, ski till 4 or so and drive back. When I'd take a plane trip somewhere and someone would ask me where I was from, I'd say I'm from Denver. But really and truly in my mind it was more like "I"M FROM DENVER". Somehow and very strange, I just thought the place was so wonderful that I felt like I was a cooler person just because I lived in that city.


But alas less than three years later, DH's company decided to move the Denver office to Southern California and wanted to transfer us to LA. We looked and they tried to offer us a decent deal financially given the higher cost of living there etc. But we just didn't love Southern California and to me it looked like a overblown housing market ready to bust and with the prices there you'd be putting a lot of money in housing. Anyway, DH decided not to take the transfer, but they offered him double salary for six months to stay on in Denver while they staffed up the new office and he took that. That gave us time to sell our house without company help and for DH to find a job somewhere else. There was a company in St. Louis that was willing to wait for him and I was able to line up a job in St. Louis before moving there too.


St. Louis is a great size city for us (many of the same city amenities as Denver), and it was driving distance (6 hours away from my family - closer than Colorado - a nice plus), but I did miss the mountains and so did DH, especially for the first two years. And to some extent we still do miss the mountains. They kind of call you. As time has gone on St. Louis has felt more and more like home (really grown on us), and we are in a really cute little neighborhood, very safe, lots of beautiful trees. We have a son and it was/is a good place to raise a child. DS is 22 now and still living with us. I truly dislike the hot humid summers in St. Louis though. I still play tennis in the summer, but do that at 7:30 a.m. or 7:00 p.m. and bring lots of water, a towel, and a spray mist fan.


Fast forward again. DH just retired. I work in IT (and will be continuing to work for some time) and although I really like connecting with people in my office, I could telecommute (bring my job with me wherever I go). Three different summers when visiting Colorado for vacation (the last three summers), we spent a little bit of time exploring to see if we'd want to move back. Traffic is way worse than it used to be. Housing prices in the Denver neighborhoods I liked are out of site and have appreciated much more than they have in St. Louis, a similarly sized city. Even bringing an extra 200K or so more to the table than what we could get for our current house (which is a super desirable area in a very close in older suburb) wouldn't give me a house I'd be overly thrilled with in Denver. And I really like our house here. I found too that more affordable suburbs in Denver just felt too cookie cutter and lacked trees that I really like. DH in fact disliked them even more than I did. We also found that day trips to the mountains on weekends at least due to heavier traffic didn't look as easy to do as they did in the late 80s.


We looked at Evergreen too and even saw a darling house that was just the right size for us, in our prices range (similarly priced to our current home), etc. that we all loved. We all though knew looking around when we were there, that this was a little too remote for us.


Anyway, after looking, Denver isn't even on a list for consideration for us for moving back. And that was unanimous for the whole family. What looking at Denver and the surrounding areas did for me was appreciate how good I have it in my current home town.


Oh I should mention that we looked in the more affordable Colorado Springs area too. We thought that looked pretty nice, and could see that if you had a job transfer, family in the area, etc. that that would be a perfectly fine place to live. We didn't fall in love though and start packing our bags.


For us now Colorado is a place to visit on a vacation. But all that said, I'm still a bit envious of all of you who live in Colorado.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2018, 08:19 AM
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
86,889 posts, read 102,319,187 times
Reputation: 32951
I think I've posted my story before; I know I've posted bits and pieces of it.

1980 and DH had just finished up a post-doc at the University of Illinois in Champaign. We were engaged. DH had to look for a job somewhere, and there really were no opportunities in Champaign, plus we wanted to leave the flatlands. So we got married, packed it all up into a Ford Fiesta and a U-Haul truck and came to Denver so he could look for a job there. His family is from Nebraska, and they had frequently vacationed here in Colorado. He found a job, and the rest is history. He had several jobs before retiring, as did I. We raised a family here. One still lives here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2018, 08:28 AM
 
838 posts, read 523,181 times
Reputation: 487
moved here because I was recruited from my college. never had intentions of moving to Colorado. I probably do not want to retire here. I honestly want to move to like Maine, Virginia, South/North Dakota...maybe Carolinas.

As of now, I will be here till I retire. money is too good where I work and I have a high end title. Not many companies pay what I am being paid.

I would say its success...in a way no as well. My dream is to live on 10 - 50 acres in a middle of no where type of town. Atvs motorcycle friendly area as well. I personally find it too hot in Colorado as well (springs) I like cold weather haha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2018, 09:29 AM
 
5,321 posts, read 2,759,690 times
Reputation: 9858
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy884 View Post
It was 1987. I was 27, DH was 33. We both had good professional jobs in Erie, PA. We did a lot with the Erie ski club and vacationed in Colorado about once a year. A recruiter called DH about a position in Denver. He said I guess I should interview, see if I'll like the job before just saying yes, as he was that excited about the prospect. He interviewed, looked around, and took it. He's in a specialized profession with plenty of jobs, but it's one where you usually have to move for a job move. The economy wasn't that great in Denver at that time (oil bust period), but I was able to get a position in my field in about 2 1/2 months after our move. I had no job offers to start, but then all of a sudden I had three all in the same week. We rented an apartment for six months and then bought a cute little house in a neighborhood called Washington Park for about 80K -- Zillow OMG says it's worth about 700K now. We were in love with the place.
That is putting it mildly! I moved to Denver in 1987 by myself, knew nobody and had no job lined up. But rents were cheap. The crash hit so hard there that some places offered one or even two months of free rent. A condo near my first apartment advertised on a huge billboard monthly payment $325 with zero down, zero interest. The whole scene shockingly contrasted with the Boston area where I had moved from, where I never could afford my own apartment without roommates, and FORGET about buying a SFH in a decent neighborhood without having “upgraded” at least a couple times, and with a partner earning good money. Simply put, in the Boston area you HAD to be making big bucks and have a big down payment, or be a DINK with the same big down payment.

At that time in Denver, the America dream was still within reach of ordinary working people. I loved the laidback feel, what with the high flyers all having fled the poor economy for places where they could chase their yuppie lifestyles. A lot of transplants who stayed were from the plains neighbors: KS, NE, and OK. Traffic was light, I could drive all the way from what is now C470/I70/US6 to the Ogden Theatre in less than 20 minutes and park anywhere.

The flip side of the cheap housing was, of course, poor job prospects. I also found work about 3 months after moving, but it was touch and go for a long time, I took a drop in pay, and I ate up most of the nest egg I had brought with me. Oh—and I should have kept those funds in the MA bank, because it had been paying 7% interest on a checking account. The CO bank I ended up choosing paid maybe 3% and things were going downhill even from that.

Back then, Denver had a serious inferiority complex about being called a cowtown. But in many QOL ways, it was better then. People tend to be nicer in places that are not trendy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2018, 12:05 PM
 
Location: The Berk in Denver, CO USA
13,950 posts, read 20,201,871 times
Reputation: 22581
1980.
First wife and I are living in Massachusetts and she gets a great transfer offer (with DEC) to Colorado Springs.
We knew nothing about Colorado, but this was a great opportunity for her.
We moved into a new house in Rockrimmon.
I commuted north/south every day (52 miles each way) to the DEC office at Arapahoe and I-25. The bad part was the 55 MPH speed limit and the good part was a company car.

I was shocked that soils expanded.
I had no idea you could have massive thunderstorms with zero rain.
The lack of suburbs was weird. One foot outside city limits and prairie dogs.
Being in a bar in Palmer Lake and see a guy walk in with a revolver on his hip was unsettling.
The paucity of family-owned ethnic restaurants was disappointing.

1981/2
Got divorced.
Moved to a crappy (but cheap at $200/month) apartment on Capitol Hill. I loved living in the city after 30 years of suburbs.

1983/4
Wife #2
Moved into a "patio home" in the Indian Creek neighborhood.

1987
Moved into a house in Bonnie Brae that we renovated. Got ants in our pants in 2010 and decided to move to a smaller house and mortgage.

2011
Moved into a duplex in Berkeley. Our plan is for current wife to sell in 25 years right after I drop dead.

Still love living in the Socialist Paradise of the City & County of Denver.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2018, 12:12 PM
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
86,889 posts, read 102,319,187 times
Reputation: 32951
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
That is putting it mildly! I moved to Denver in 1987 by myself, knew nobody and had no job lined up. But rents were cheap. The crash hit so hard there that some places offered one or even two months of free rent. A condo near my first apartment advertised on a huge billboard monthly payment $325 with zero down, zero interest. The whole scene shockingly contrasted with the Boston area where I had moved from, where I never could afford my own apartment without roommates, and FORGET about buying a SFH in a decent neighborhood without having “upgraded” at least a couple times, and with a partner earning good money. Simply put, in the Boston area you HAD to be making big bucks and have a big down payment, or be a DINK with the same big down payment.

At that time in Denver, the America dream was still within reach of ordinary working people. I loved the laidback feel, what with the high flyers all having fled the poor economy for places where they could chase their yuppie lifestyles. A lot of transplants who stayed were from the plains neighbors: KS, NE, and OK. Traffic was light, I could drive all the way from what is now C470/I70/US6 to the Ogden Theatre in less than 20 minutes and park anywhere.

The flip side of the cheap housing was, of course, poor job prospects. I also found work about 3 months after moving, but it was touch and go for a long time, I took a drop in pay, and I ate up most of the nest egg I had brought with me. Oh—and I should have kept those funds in the MA bank, because it had been paying 7% interest on a checking account. The CO bank I ended up choosing paid maybe 3% and things were going downhill even from that.

Back then, Denver had a serious inferiority complex about being called a cowtown. But in many QOL ways, it was better then. People tend to be nicer in places that are not trendy.
Seriously? Rents were much higher here in 1980 than they were in Champaign, IL where we came from. Like at least 2X more. They never got cheaper, though they might have quit rising in 1987. We bought our first house in 1982, sold it in 1988 (long story why we chose to sell at that time) for just about $1000 more than we paid for it.

I never thought traffic was light, then again the comparison was Champaign, which at the time had a population of about 100,000 total including its twin, Urbana. My husband lost his job in 1988, so yeah, the economy was crashing. Nursing jobs were hard to get because of lot of transplants were nurses and Denver hadn't yet become the medical center for the region that it is now.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 07-22-2018 at 12:23 PM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2018, 12:20 PM
 
144 posts, read 108,454 times
Reputation: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
1987

At that time in Denver, the America dream was still within reach of ordinary working people. I loved the laidback feel

Traffic was light, I could drive all the way from what is now C470/I70/US6 to the Ogden Theatre in less than 20 minutes and park anywhere.

Back then, Denver had a serious inferiority complex about being called a cowtown. But in many QOL ways, it was better then. People tend to be nicer in places that are not trendy.

I hear you pikabike. We sure loved Denver then. We've never been into trendy. We wanted Denver to stay about the size it was and not grow then too. We thought too much economic growth wouldn't be a good ideas with brown cloud issues, etc. And I can say that we voted against the new airport. Of course, we didn't have our own business that we wanted to grow or concerns about employment, etc. so I do understand how others outvoted us and favored changes for greater economic development.

I remember too how they were trying to get Southwest to fly our of Denver International, and I remember the CEO of Southwest being quoted as saying "We'll fly out of Denver International when pigs fly" and seeing that in the Denver paper. Pigs must be flying now too, as Southwest is definitely there now. So much has changed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2018, 02:57 PM
 
Location: Washington Park, Denver
6,905 posts, read 6,499,225 times
Reputation: 7355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy884 View Post

I remember too how they were trying to get Southwest to fly our of Denver International, and I remember the CEO of Southwest being quoted as saying "We'll fly out of Denver International when pigs fly" and seeing that in the Denver paper. Pigs must be flying now too, as Southwest is definitely there now. So much has changed.
If I recall correctly, that had more to do with the fact that DIA’s landing fees were much higher than any other airport Southwest was flying in to at the time, not because Denver wasn’t a market they wanted a presence in.

We’re now their 3rd busiest airport in terms of daily departures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2018, 04:30 PM
 
144 posts, read 108,454 times
Reputation: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
If I recall correctly, that had more to do with the fact that DIAís landing fees were much higher than any other airport Southwest was flying in to at the time, not because Denver wasnít a market they wanted a presence in.

Weíre now their 3rd busiest airport in terms of daily departures.
Yes -- It was the added fees that were so high in Denver that they objected to. And Southwest certainly does have a big presence now there for sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:34 PM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top