Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2018, 07:48 AM

100 posts, read 126,531 times

Advertisements

Richmond, VA actually.

Ended up checking all our boxes and it's a great, hip little city. Can afford to be in one of the best city neighborhoods with walking access to anything (we'd be in Aurora burbs and bus commuting downtown I bet for Denver.) Great beer scene and I love being driveable to the coast. Grew up with the blue ridge mountains so nice to have serene green hills and some less crowded trails. Both the wife and I ended up with better jobs in a lower COL city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2018, 08:22 AM

400 posts, read 445,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecock2001 View Post
Richmond, VA actually.

Ended up checking all our boxes and it's a great, hip little city. Can afford to be in one of the best city neighborhoods with walking access to anything (we'd be in Aurora burbs and bus commuting downtown I bet for Denver.) Great beer scene and I love being driveable to the coast. Grew up with the blue ridge mountains so nice to have serene green hills and some less crowded trails. Both the wife and I ended up with better jobs in a lower COL city.

That's fantastic! I'm from NOVA and used to go to Richmond every now and then for punk and metal shows but that was MANY years ago! I've heard RVA has really come into its own lately. My family will have to check it out next time we go back to VA.

I'm guessing you're in the Fan or maybe Scott's Addition? Sounds like it was a good move and you are happy there. Skol!

Old 07-18-2018, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion3510 View Post
That's fantastic! I'm from NOVA and used to go to Richmond every now and then for punk and metal shows but that was MANY years ago! I've heard RVA has really come into its own lately. My family will have to check it out next time we go back to VA.

I'm guessing you're in the Fan or maybe Scott's Addition? Sounds like it was a good move and you are happy there. Skol!

Yep, well Museum District actually. Love going to Scott's Addition for some breweries and food. I like how they are centrally located and together as opposed to being spread out like in Denver. Yeah the city had def came into it's own from what our DC/Nova friends have told us, and is growing a bit and improving year by year. There's a lot of Nova transplants who got tired of that rat race who come down to live in this city.

It's got a great music scene as well. Obv I miss red rocks but I think the indie and underground vibe is pretty enticing here. Other than tacos, I think I prefer the food scene here as well. Tons of small and unique restaurants. Miss CO for sure but as the reasons I mentioned before, it turns out being best for us, especially with a kid on the way! Not much time for Epic passes and the like with a newborn!

Old 07-18-2018, 07:04 PM

989 posts, read 2,430,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecock2001 View Post
Richmond, VA actually.

So let's say a decent 3br/2ba 1700-2000Sq Ft home in Denver is ~$580,000-$640,000. What is it in Richmond?

Old 07-18-2018, 07:27 PM

369 posts, read 322,045 times
Moved to Durango in 77 from Scottsdale. Company paid the move as it was more central to my territory (lower air Fare).
Move was prompted by taking the train to Neddleton, jump off the train and backpack up to 13,000 feet. Got snowed on on the 4th of July.
Put this in perspective for a 27 yr old.
Bought a home. Started the back to the earth deal. Goats, chickens, big garden. Built out the property, bought another property and built a retirement compound. My advice, If your not willing to learn self sufficiency it doesn't matter where you move. Learn construction, animal husbandry, horticulture, etc. Otherwise your just lining the pockets of others.
Self sufficiency from knowledge is the key to being financially secure. Then you can call your shots.
Colorado has been good to me, I don't like metro areas, more freedom in rural settings, but that's just me.

Old 07-19-2018, 02:48 AM

1,312 posts, read 2,003,040 times
Default Relocating to CO

I moved here in May 2014, my dad died, I was 48, looking for somewhere where the economy was good, and I never been before. Moved from Honolulu, I temped at various places during my first year, couldn't land a permanent job. In January 2015, applied to be a bus operator and have been at my job ever since. I thought that it would be easy to live here, life here is hard.

I'm finally stablizing after 4 years. Eating out and medical insurance is more expensive than in HI, where they have to ship everything to. Not sure why. Definately, see growth as good here. Better to live in a growing city than a dying one. I miss diversity. Maybe, I'm not in the right demographic anymore. Interesting place.

I have lived in AZ, CA, OR, TX, and NM. Visited Philly, ATL, DET, and Chicago. People are nice, but CO is not the west. CO is a plains and Heartland State.

Old 07-19-2018, 04:11 AM

132 posts, read 131,530 times
Left SoCal two years ago, love Denver, I wish it snowed more though.

Old 07-19-2018, 06:53 AM

8,886 posts, read 20,270,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevedore View Post
Left SoCal two years ago, love Denver, I wish it snowed more though.
Funny, when we lived in Parker, people were hoping for a White Christmas for 2006. Well, like my supervisor/Director told me at work, “better watch what you wish for!”.

Oh, we had snow alright! A wrap-around blizzard hit and buried Denver metro. It was called The Holiday Blizzard. Definitely LOTS of snow fell.

Old 07-19-2018, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
So let's say a decent 3br/2ba 1700-2000Sq Ft home in Denver is ~$580,000-$640,000. What is it in Richmond?

Hmmm... In a popular or walkable neighborhood, I think it's gonna be a bit higher than that. Something walkable in Richmond at around 1700sq ft (but usually a rowhome) is 400-550k.

Old 07-19-2018, 09:54 AM

12,566 posts, read 10,555,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Funny, when we lived in Parker, people were hoping for a White Christmas for 2006. Well, like my supervisor/Director told me at work, “better watch what you wish for!”.

Oh, we had snow alright! A wrap-around blizzard hit and buried Denver metro. It was called The Holiday Blizzard. Definitely LOTS of snow fell.
Then it snowed once every week for about 6 weeks into 2007. My wife and I had flown out 3 days before the first storm that closed the airport. When we got back two weeks later our car was buried in snow in one of the offsite parking lots. Oh joy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver