U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2018, 07:53 PM

900 posts, read 1,927,514 times

Advertisements

Are there people here that moved to Denver (or Colorado in general) specifically because of the mountains/scenery/outdoor lifestyle?

Did it work out the way you planned? Was it everything you expected it to be? Do you have any regrets (or did you eventually grow tired of it and leave?)

I am interested in hearing people's experiences that made plans to move to Denver/Colorado. I don't mean instances where your work relocated you, or you had an option to work relocate to Denver or some other location, I'm talking about folks that had a vision to move to the mountains (or near them) and made it happen.

Tell me your tales. Where you came from, ages, family situation, professional background, budget, where you ended up. Seems like I see a lot of people inquire about moving to Denver for the outdoor life/scenery/weather but never hear how it ended up working out for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2018, 08:43 PM

26 posts, read 16,611 times
I'm 25F, born and raised in South Carolina, single child, low income family. I graduated with my bachelor's last May and the company I interned with offered me a full time entry level job making 42k. Unfortunately, four months into my first post-college job, I got caught up in corporate restructuring and my department was eliminated. I ended up back in seasonal retail and hated it. I kept trying to find work, but was having 0 luck. I lived in Charleston SC and the cost of living there is now damn near what Denver is. Minimum wage there is still $7.25/hour but most companies will start you at $10. The problem is, not only are you not making enough, but you also can't get the hours you need to pay bills in food/retail.

So, around the end of November I decided I was going to take my severance pay and I was going to leave. I paid off my rent up until the end of my lease and borrowed about $2500 from a mentor to fund the Uhaul and first two months rent. At first I was considering Omaha NE, because I had friends there, the job market looked good, and COL in the midwest seemed better than around coastal areas. My friends in NE told me to steer clear. I had avoided considering CO, because I heard about how expensive it was. But one day I actually sat down and did a COL comparison and it was right on par with my city in SC - except the min wage was at least $12 here now. So I said screw it, Denver it is. I had never been further west than Mississippi, never been to CO let alone Denver. I didn't have a job, or a place to stay, or a plan. My lease was up for renewal in february. I put in my notice and lit a fire under my ass to figure it out in the next 3 months. I flew out in January for a week to look for an apartment and do an interview. Two weeks before my lease was up, I had a job at Walgreens and an apartment with two male roommates that I had never met in person. I packed all my stuff up in a Uhaul and I drove across the country, seeing numerous states for the first time. I learned so much about myself. Everything fell into place (and roommates are wonderful working professionals, definitely not serial killers but that was a real risk).

So far, I love it. I still haven't landed a professional job but I'm still doing interviews and keeping at it. I left Walgreens and am working as a Park Ranger for the summer. I was a low key stoner in SC, but never smoke here, no real interest to. I went vegan right before moving and doing it right before coming here is one reason I've been so successful at it (tons of vegan options at almost every restaurant). I can't imagine ever living long term in the south east again. I don't like the weather, the state government, or the culture. I've personally formed an opinion that southern hospitality is a lie and that stereotype should go to midwesterners. Southern people are nice but in a backhanded way. Midwestern folks tend to be genuinely kind and welcoming, less materialistic, less gossipy, and less cliquey. (Not that CO is considered the Midwest, but there are a lot of them here that I've interacted with). It's nice living in a state where the government cares about investing in people and infrastructure. It's nice that people aren't anti-intellectualism/anti-progress/racist here. Conservatives in the west/midwest are different from southern conservatives. The ones out here tend to be so because they're farmers, etc whereas in the south they're just anti-progress/racist/religious.

These are just my own personal experiences/opinions. Colorado is great, and I really enjoy everything out here. I'm a tourist out here all the time because I constantly see new plants or animals that we don't have back in the SE and they all fascinate me (I can sit for hours watching prairie dogs). The sky out west is beautiful. It's so open and clear and you can see so much. The natural geography is breathtaking. I feel like I live in a Hallmark card and it can't be real

Old 06-28-2018, 10:50 PM

39 posts, read 17,794 times
Major kudos to Wertzo..wow..gutsy.

Myself and the GF moved here in Dec 16..from NYC/Long Island. We had visited in 2015 and I came back alone to Denver for a weekend in May 16.

We sold her house and moved to Denver..living in Lakewood. Wanted to leave the very high cost of living in NYC/LI , the rudeness, etc. Also..do not want to die where I was born and raised..just my personal thing.

We had done research and chose Denver: live and let live attitude, metro Denver leans democratic..(we are democrats), strong economy, beautiful landscape. A benefit to me that rec marijuana is legal. This was not a determining factor when deciding to move here.

Denver is growing and has room to do so..unlike Long Island NY...which is like rats in a cage type of environment.

We are very happy here. People are nice, open spaces, plenty of cultural things to do, etc...nice weather compared to the northeast.

Old 06-29-2018, 07:29 AM

419 posts, read 261,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
Are there people here that moved to Denver (or Colorado in general) specifically because of the mountains/scenery/outdoor lifestyle?

Did it work out the way you planned? Was it everything you expected it to be? Do you have any regrets (or did you eventually grow tired of it and leave?)

I am interested in hearing people's experiences that made plans to move to Denver/Colorado. I don't mean instances where your work relocated you, or you had an option to work relocate to Denver or some other location, I'm talking about folks that had a vision to move to the mountains (or near them) and made it happen.

Tell me your tales. Where you came from, ages, family situation, professional background, budget, where you ended up. Seems like I see a lot of people inquire about moving to Denver for the outdoor life/scenery/weather but never hear how it ended up working out for them.
You don’t hear back from them because those posters are “Colorado Dreamin” (sung to the tune of California Dreamin)

Old 06-29-2018, 07:43 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,832,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsBall View Post
You don’t hear back from them because those posters are “Colorado Dreamin” (sung to the tune of California Dreamin)
I'm not responding because I find the questions too intrusive. While some people are fine detailing their lives on FB and other public forums, I'm not.

Everyone's experience is different, so a few individuals' responses are meaningless. For a general trend, just look at the population growth of the area. That says it all in a nutshell.

Old 06-29-2018, 07:49 AM

4,446 posts, read 7,188,883 times
Moved to Denver (city/county) in 2009, left in 2011. Was Easily one of the biggest mistakes of my adult life (moving to Denver, that is)

More to this, I'm a Wyoming native and had spent the prior 5 years between N. AZ and WY with my wife (she worked for the Gov on the indian reservations). We liked to vacation in Denver on occasion and her new job involved commuting to Alaska through Denver. Turns out that all the outdoor life wasn't easily accessible like our prior 5 years ~ you spend an hour or two driving first, fighting traffic the whole way. When you get "there", you can never get away from other people. Trails, campgrounds, skiing areas, and mountain towns (along the Front Range) are completely over run with others. It was arguably More stressful than work, so we stopped even trying except for longer trips that got us AWAY from the Front Range.

Moving to Denver was absolutely a mistake for us. We wound up doing LESS stuff outdoors because of the crowds, and due to cost of living only had time to do stuff on weekends. We live in Georgia now and honestly do more in the Rockies now than when we lived in Denver... odd to say, but the cost of living is so low that work only takes a few days a week and we can take a couple months of vacation a year. While our actives are now all done in a couple continuous weeks rather than on weekends throughout the year, we can pick the season and do as we wish. 2 months as ski bum? Check. A month roaming the Rockies in the spring? check. This year we're doing 6 weeks in the fall.

Denver, as the city itself, left me less than impressed once we lived there. The only bright point was the theater complex (that I'd been visiting since it was built). Nothing else there really agreed with my personal outlook on life. Some of my disappointment probably stems from knowing how it was, decades ago (when I toured the Colorado School of Mines as a prospective freshman, there was ~15 miles of field/farm land between Denver and Golden). I feel the same about Jackson, WY ~ a place that was one great, but is now just a pretty shell with nothing of substance within.

Old 06-29-2018, 08:00 AM

540 posts, read 259,974 times
i looked at a few homes in Denver, Bonnie Brae, Cherry Creek 7th Av but settle in the mountains. At the time I should have changed my life up and moved into the city, stayed away from the mountains.

-the climate here has changed, a lot dryer, fire danger is for real out there
-lots of hidden expenses living on a well and septic
-the 40 min drive in and out of the mountains gets old
-I was a single professional. Mountain life is like your running away from something and i wasnt.

Old 06-29-2018, 08:25 AM

5,091 posts, read 2,138,052 times
I've devoted an entire blog to what I found and learned from moving to Colorado:

http://www.city-data.com/blogs/blog4...-colorado.html

Old 06-29-2018, 08:42 AM

5,405 posts, read 2,816,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post

I did, twice, first time to Denver and second time elsewhere in CO.

First time was more than 30 yrs ago, and I stayed for the next 25 yrs. The outdoor experience was everything I wanted—and then some—until after I took up a new sport where the venues were not so plentiful. There is no ocean anywhere near CO, and lakes don’t exactly abound.

Moving to the PNW solved that problem. Fantastic maritime environment. There were also mountains. Unfortunately, the things we disliked about the region became worse, especially in the town we lived. These things have nothing to do with natural environmental features or weather. So we left after a few years, to sum up a long story. We returned to a part of CO where we had previously chosen to retire but got sidetracked (see above). We love it here. But it is definitely not the right place for everybody. No place is.

On the first move, I was young, with no job lined up but enough savings to live a year without working, if push came to shove. The transition was financially rough, and I knew nobody in the area. Still, those were times when it was possible to eke it out. CO was down in the dumps economically.

On the second move, my husband and I were in a much later stage of life. We still had a struggle due to unexpectedly long time to sell our PNW house. Another long story that I won’t go into here. Anyway, all moves were difficult in varous ways. We have no regrets, though. Struggle is just part of life. We will always love the outdoor activities here, and for the things that are not here we will go back to taking vacations. It is a compromise but one that feels right to us.

Old 06-29-2018, 08:54 AM

6,552 posts, read 10,257,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
I've devoted an entire blog to what I found and learned from moving to Colorado:

http://www.city-data.com/blogs/blog4...-colorado.html
There are things in your blog that I don't have a problem with, and there are things in there that (as usual with you) are over-generalizations, projections, and items that lack context. At least you stopped telling people the total BS line that you "live/lived in Denver." I'll give you credit again for that.

I got a kick out of your assertion that people from Colorado are narrow-minded and judgmental yet in your last paragraph you yourself narrow-mindedly and judgmentally call out people with piercings and tattoos. Hypocrite much?

Your second Youtube video link is a real gem. Did you even watch it? I'm guessing not because the late Yogi Berra would love it. Gonna post it here because I don't wanna give you the chance to delete it before others can see it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQAVf6cDGn0

Last edited by bluescreen73; 06-29-2018 at 09:23 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver