Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2018, 04:55 PM

89 posts, read 95,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
I would look into Boise, ID. Plenty of homes between the $200k to $400k range that fit your income.

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...28_rect/10_zm/

Lol.. our rent here in Houston is $1,200/mo. we don't live like kings, but we get by.

If we don't end up in Denver, I'm either going to push my wife into moving back to Tampa or possibly going up to Ohio to be around some of my family. Idaho was never and will never be in my plans, but thank you for the reply.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2018, 12:52 PM

8,942 posts, read 20,367,927 times
Would you and your family be ready for what "Old Man Winter" can/would throw at you during those cold and snowy months. It's not "cold and snowy" all of those months, but a good snowstorm and/or blizzard can happen. Thing is, Houston doesn't have "Old Man Winter" or at least not even close to what Colorado winters can be like.

When we lived south of Denver, in Parker, we endured the winter months, but both of us were raised in the snow of Indiana and Michigan.

It's been very well documented that Denver is not cheap to live in.

Old 07-10-2018, 01:23 PM

922 posts, read 791,364 times
My husband and I moved to Kansas from Denver 3 years ago, as did my daughter and her family. We came to southeast corner, and they went to the northwest corner. We could no longer afford Colorado. The tiny one bedroom apartment we lived in is now $1200 a month.

Southeast Kansas is very green, and very open. People are friendly and it is a nice place to raise kids without the pressures and problems of big city life. My granddaughter in northwest Kansas is in a much smaller town, and she is thriving.

There is no way she would be doing as well if they had stayed in Denver. A large part of the reason they moved there was so that she could have a better experience growing up, and although I miss them terribly, I have to agree that they made the right decision to move there.

I know that a lot of people will tell you Kansas is a boring, flat, brown expanse of nothing. This couldn't be further from the truth. It is, however, MUCH different than living in a big metroplex like Denver and Houston. I lived in the city my whole life, and hated it, so I very much enjoy living here now. If the big city is what you like, then Kansas isn't for you. Denver is frenetic, frantic, and very expensive.

I hope you find what you are seeking for your family.

Old 07-10-2018, 05:09 PM

2,653 posts, read 3,045,998 times
OP, I recommend you check out the metro area referred to as NWA (northwest Arkansas, home to Walmart.) Metro population is now around 1/2 million. The metro area is booming, unemployment is low, and so is the crime rate. If you're not familiar with the area, you'll be impressed by the natural beauty--it's set in the Ozarks. It's on my short list if I ever leave Phoenix.

Old 07-10-2018, 08:17 PM

244 posts, read 414,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneBeachBum View Post

Lol.. our rent here in Houston is $1,200/mo. we don't live like kings, but we get by.

If we don't end up in Denver, I'm either going to push my wife into moving back to Tampa or possibly going up to Ohio to be around some of my family. Idaho was never and will never be in my plans, but thank you for the reply.
Even in the suburbs of Denver you would struggle to find a home to accommodate a family of five on a salary like your own. In the City proper, it is difficult enough to find a decent 1BR for $1,200, let alone a 3-4 bedroom.

Other areas of Colorado MAY work but the Denver area is unfortunately out of your price range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver