U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2018, 08:40 PM

95 posts, read 54,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthDenverGirl View Post
You don't have to have a 20% downpayment. I have seen buyers go in with much less in this market and have huge equity gains within 2-3 years that made up for the lower downpayment.
Okay. That doesn't change the fact that a individual making less than 100k will have trouble affording a home in Denver. Let's say the place is 400k (below the average home price). How many people have 10% (40k) of that saved up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2018, 08:11 AM

944 posts, read 1,254,541 times
I think that you should live on the West Coast. LA, SF and maybe Seattle. The step down in speed from NY would be tough even in those cities, but you will have the diversity and live in another world class city but with a different culture and history from NY. Nature is all around you as well as the Ocean. Denver is a city trying to find its way in the 21st century, but still has roots in its past and is not quite there yet. The Plains is not the west. If you consider moving anywhere people do not like comparisons to where they're from. Learn about the place you're moving to and embrace its history and culture and your transition will be easier.

Moving somewhere requires that you reach out to others and learn new things or get out of your comfort zone. Good luck on finding your new frontier!

Old 07-17-2018, 01:53 PM

346 posts, read 231,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver_Surfer View Post
Denver is fine if you're not planning/hoping to buy a home. The average home price is 540k...

Coming from the Bay Area perspective this looks like an insanely cheap bargain!

Old 07-17-2018, 07:41 PM

3,182 posts, read 2,622,799 times
Quote:
Okay. That doesn't change the fact that a individual making less than 100k will have trouble affording a home in Denver. Let's say the place is 400k (below the average home price). How many people have 10% (40k) of that saved up?
That's the problem. According to the news, we're one of the toughest cities in the nation for first time home buyers. The houses they sell for that price are crap too. One of the biggest problems with Denver is it's really a pain to buy a decent house and settle down. If that's not on the radar and you're fine renting a 1 bedroom, the city becomes much more liveable as you can live in all the good spots and avoid traffic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alloo66 View Post
I think that you should live on the West Coast. LA, SF and maybe Seattle. The step down in speed from NY would be tough even in those cities, but you will have the diversity and live in another world class city but with a different culture and history from NY. Nature is all around you as well as the Ocean. Denver is a city trying to find its way in the 21st century, but still has roots in its past and is not quite there yet. The Plains is not the west. If you consider moving anywhere people do not like comparisons to where they're from. Learn about the place you're moving to and embrace its history and culture and your transition will be easier.

Moving somewhere requires that you reach out to others and learn new things or get out of your comfort zone. Good luck on finding your new frontier!
It's not like the OP is moving to a small city though. Denver has most of the amenities of a big city, just not nearly to the scale. The big city west coast isn't really any better than NYC boroughs for affordability and price and the purpose is to get away from that. Unless you are a city only person or can't drive, I wouldn't think Denver as "small".

Old 07-17-2018, 07:47 PM

1,798 posts, read 1,149,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
That's the problem. According to the news, we're one of the toughest cities in the nation for first time home buyers. The houses they sell for that price are crap too. One of the biggest problems with Denver is it's really a pain to buy a decent house and settle down. If that's not on the radar and you're fine renting a 1 bedroom, the city becomes much more liveable as you can live in all the good spots and avoid traffic.

It's not like the OP is moving to a small city though. Denver has most of the amenities of a big city, just not nearly to the scale. The big city west coast isn't really any better than NYC boroughs for affordability and price and the purpose is to get away from that. Unless you are a city only person or can't drive, I wouldn't think Denver as "small".
Most West Coast cities are actually more expensive than NYC for cost of living other some parts of Manhattan.

Old 07-17-2018, 09:28 PM

95 posts, read 54,675 times
I'm hoping to make the move from Denver to LA. My rent will go up a few hundred bucks, but my income will literally double. Rent/housing in LA is similar to Denver at this point, and the crime is lower.

Old 07-17-2018, 09:36 PM

6,530 posts, read 10,200,595 times
Quote:
I'm hoping to make the move from Denver to LA. My rent will go up a few hundred bucks, but my income will literally double. Rent/housing in LA is similar to Denver at this point, and the crime is lower.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ifOMZgF0nM

Old 07-18-2018, 07:14 AM

3,053 posts, read 2,081,073 times
Exclusive use of public transportation will put most of why you would move to CO out of reach for yourself.

In COS, you can find efficiency apartments in the Shooks Run or Mesa Springs neighborhoods for under a grand and these put you in a position where you can walk or bike to Tejon Street, a centralized location for bars and night clubs. You can bike to the closest grocery stores, but ultimately, COS, Denver, and the west in general, is built around personal transportation and getting any place out of the major metros will be very slim pickings unless you take a bus to some of the regional gambling towns, or the seasonal ski buses to Summit County.

However, if you are looking for a place with 12 months of activity and a variety of outdoor sports, its hard to beat CO.

Old 07-18-2018, 08:18 AM

22,751 posts, read 16,193,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmj9891 View Post
Hello! I'm sick of New York, I've lived here forever. I am 30 years old, single, female, and just want a new start with some beautiful nature.

I actually visited Denver and didn't love it, I preferred Boulder, but I want a place with job opportunities so I don't mind traveling on the weekends. I am done with East Coast, it all looks the same to me.

I currently have a job with $88k income (sales/marketing) and my apartment outside of NYC is 2 bedroom $2100.

A few questions...

1. Has anyone here moved from Denver to NYC? Were you happy with the change?
2. How late are restaurants and bars open?
3. Is it easy to make friends?
4. Will I notice a major decrease in salary?
5. How much is an average 1 bedroom?
6. How are the people in Denver different than the people in NYC?
7. Are there complicated roads in the area to drive on?
8. Any public transit?
1. I am originally from NYC and moved here after living in southern NM for five years. Overall, I am happy with the change.

2. No idea. I'm a homebody.

3. Based on my grandkids' experiences, it seems okay for people in your general age group. People tend to keep themselves to themselves here which is a good thing if you don't want people in your business but not so great if you want more active involvement.

4. Very likely.

5. I've seen 1 bedrooms from ~$950.00 - $3000.00. The "sweet spot" for a nice place seems to fall somewhere between $1300.00-$1600.00

6. People here are much more laid back. They move more slowly except when they are driving.

7. Driving here is pretty straightforward. Some of the mountain roads can be challenging but road conditions are overall much better and while there is traffic, it's nowhere near the level of NYC traffic. The local speed limits tend to be higher here than in NYC and those are pretty much just suggestions.
The most challenging thing about driving here is going east right after sunrise and west during sunset. There is no way to describe how awful is sun glare when driving.

8. Yes! The public transit system here is actually pretty good. The trick is to find housing on/near one of the bus or light rail routes. Many of the bus lines run to/from light rail stations, however, there are a lot of areas that are not yet well served. Of course, those areas that do have regular public transportation tend to have more expensive housing. There are buses that run between Denver and Boulder.

A few other thoughts: Denver has a lot to offer in the way of city amenities. The music scene is good, pretty much all of the travelling Broadway shows play here, pro sports are well-represented, there are all sorts of restaurants, good shopping, etc.
The area around the Capital building is great to walk around in; some of the side streets are absolutely gorgeous and remind me of Greenwich Village.
There are some places in that general area where 1 bedrooms can still be found for less than what you are paying now.

If you prefer something more suburban, there are many, many options north, west, east and south of Denver proper with decent commute times via bus or light rail.
As I noted before, though, if driving, it's always better to be going west in the morning and east in the evening. North/south isn't as much of an issue.

Old 07-18-2018, 02:09 PM

540 posts, read 255,240 times
complicated roads; hmmm
Knee down with hwy93 along the base of the foot hills and the Peak To Peak Hwy at the top there are a series of canyon roads you can up / dwn. For example Boulder Canyon, Left Hand Canyon, Coal Creek canyon roads...

public transportation
Boulder is much smaller than Denver. That being said there is an urban bike culture in Boulder. There is actual lite rail in Denver. Either city has a functional bus network.

People
I left NY when i was 18 but have to say a little less opportunity in Colorado for some careers.
The people; they are the same these days, the inter web has connected most everyone that matters.

Climate
Last few years; Summer has been hot dry and well winter is hot dry too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or