U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2018, 01:39 PM

506 posts, read 702,407 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cas123 View Post

[.....humidity...]
It's so much better for your looks too!!!
Not if you have frizzy/wavy hair and if your skin is naturally oily (me!). They you end up looking like a chia pet with a face so greasy that you can make chicken biscuits on it. I wouldn't exactly call that a "haute couture" look.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2018, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I'm a life long East Coaster, until I moved here about a dozen years ago. I don't hate Boulder, but otherwise, pretty much in agreement with all you said. Well, also I hate driving but still drive because I don't have the extra time to deal with public transportation.

And while I'm not moving away any time soon, I do love when I visit a coast and breathe in some humid air! I used to hate the humidity but now when I am in a more humid environment, it feels amazing
But but but... in your other post, in my thread you said that you don't miss the humidity.

Old 08-31-2018, 03:40 PM

21,016 posts, read 11,633,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entangled View Post
But but but... in your other post, in my thread you said that you don't miss the humidity.
yes, for a visit I like the humidity. I think I said in my other post that I didn't want to necessarily move back permanently to a hot and humid environment, esp not someplace like Florida where it's months on end.

But for a few days, I appreciate it.

I used to say my ideal climate was San Diego. Not as humid as the East coast but not Denver-dry either. Or at least how it used to be, I guess even there has gotten more humid over the last few years.

Old 08-31-2018, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
yes, for a visit I like the humidity. I think I said in my other post that I didn't want to necessarily move back permanently to a hot and humid environment, esp not someplace like Florida where it's months on end.

But for a few days, I appreciate it.

I used to say my ideal climate was San Diego. Not as humid as the East coast but not Denver-dry either. Or at least how it used to be, I guess even there has gotten more humid over the last few years.
Agreed! My ideal place is SD, I would sacrifice culture for it.

Old 09-01-2018, 09:16 PM

83 posts, read 37,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmj9891 View Post
Hello! I'm sick of New York, I've lived here forever. I am 30 years old, single, female, and just want a new start with some beautiful nature.

I actually visited Denver and didn't love it, I preferred Boulder, but I want a place with job opportunities so I don't mind traveling on the weekends. I am done with East Coast, it all looks the same to me.

I currently have a job with $88k income (sales/marketing) and my apartment outside of NYC is 2 bedroom $2100.

A few questions...
I'm a few years younger than you and male and also single...and I only moved 3 weeks ago for grad school so my financial situation is different (read: living on loans lol). But I'm also from NYC and have been done with the east coast for years - total misfit in NYC - so I'll give my .02.

First of all, Denver is not "nature" the way most of the rest of the state is. It's a city and it's not the mountains. But it's more convenient to nature, and I'd say cleaner and greener than NYC. Basically, people who want to be around actual nature and do "outdoorsy" stuff, generally are not going to stick around Denver on the weekends.

Quote:
1. Has anyone here moved from Denver to NYC? Were you happy with the change?
So far, yes, I also lived here in undergrad (except I'm just outside of Denver Co. lines now), though for like a year and change (long story), so it's not entirely new to me and I always wanted to come back. I might be biased in that regard. My biggest issue currently is that I need a car...

I feel like I can BREATHE here. That is the biggest difference. I find NYC so claustrophobic. And I felt trapped both literally and metaphysically. (Including the suffocating summers of the east coast, which I don't tolerate well). Seems like it's hard to get around regardless of what mode of transportation you use, anything worth doing in your free time is expensive and/or crowded and makes it not worth doing...as a result a lot of what NYC supposedly has to offer isn't really that accessible. I think someone touched on that earlier in the thread.

I do not mind the dryness, or really notice the altitude...not that Denver is exactly "altitude". I get thirsty more when I walk around a lot. That's about it. Also just so you don't get the wrong idea from all the posts about how "dry" it is - it is a semi-arid climate, not a desert, the dryness peaks during the day and the humidity actually can go up quite a bit at night. Food still goes moldy (lol), you still have to wait if you want wet things to air dry. I am not really a beach person, so I can't say I got much out of living on a coast. So I think YMMV with the climate, as you can probably see by the responses so far.

Quote:
2. How late are restaurants and bars open?
Most open-late stuff is in and around downtown. Google restaurants/bars open late and you'll see that. I don't spend much time downtown, maybe partly because it's a bit out of the way for me and I still need a car (more on that below), but also because I guess I'm not a city person in general and downtown is where it's really city-like, especially on weekends.

Most restaurants that are open late seem to be fast food restaurants, international food esp. Mexican (not sure why that is, maybe someone who's lived here a long time can explain that), and the two diners someone mentioned previously.

Quote:
3. Is it easy to make friends?
Well, I've always found it incredibly difficult to make friends in NYC, or if I did they either were just acquaintances, or the friendship was superficial because our fundamental values were different. I lost touch with pretty much everyone I had been friends with in NYC, and who my friends were seemed to change every few years. I would just lose touch with people because our lives went in different directions. So yes, I think it's easier here. I'm also very introverted and kind of expect friendship to happen naturally (i.e. without me really trying, haha) so that could be why.

Quote:
4. Will I notice a major decrease in salary?
I don't know about "major", probably proportional to COL. But I think you will have more discretionary income here. The biggest difference is most likely in housing. Check out Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

Quote:
5. How much is an average 1 bedroom?
Average rents studio-3BR by neighborhood

Generally, more expensive the closer you get to downtown.
If you want to live somewhere residential, then I think around $1100-1400 for a 1br is possible. Thinking of places like Lowry, Hale, Montclair/Mayfair, Windsor, Wash/Virginia Vale.

Quote:
6. How are the people in Denver different than the people in NYC?
More laid-back, less image-conscious, more down to earth as opposed to idealistic. NYC tends to have a more particular culture and appeal to a more specific type of person, people here would be harder to pinpoint as "from Denver" or "from Colorado" if you were asked to identify where a random stranger was from. Not sure if that's because of all the transplants.

A lot of people say that people "keep to themselves" here but I find them more approachable overall, and a bit friendlier. But space and boundaries are respected here and I think people are generally in a better mood for it. (Probably because in NYC there isn't much personal space to respect).

Politics are incredibly different. This can be good or bad depending on your own values and such. More "purple" is a very general way to put it. People are not as attached to their beliefs, and politics isn't as big a point of discussion. There's not as much identity politics. Denver supposedly leans blue (but not as blue as Boulder). There is some kind of office of inclusiveness on my campus to give an example. But since I've been here, I don't know if anyone I've interacted with has directly brought up a political topic. This is probably related to the identity politics thing, because you don't get as much talk around racial issues, sexual orientation etc which seems pervasive in places like NYC.

Quote:
7. Are there complicated roads in the area to drive on?
Not really, the roads handle the volume quite well, driving is much easier than NYC. I have yet to get a car because I couldn't pass the road test in NYC before moving (failed twice). The traffic and the way people drive there freaks me out especially during a test...
I have my license here now (wow, so much easier and less stressful!) but still need a car...I want to find work first so I'm not living entirely off loans. OTOH, I still do not want to drive in NYC....actually, my driving instructor who did my test here, lived in Denver for 10+ years, tried to drive in NYC for like 2 minutes and gave up. lol. So yeah, I'd say less complicated. Maybe take some classes in narrow mountain and winter driving if you're worried about that.

The most confusing things I'd say are: there are more dedicated turn lanes and roundabouts than you might be used to, and the speed limit is higher (up to 75mph), so if you don't know where you're going at first it can be easy to miss turns, go the wrong way, etc. Once you know where you're going it's pretty straightforward.

Quote:
8. Any public transit?
Public transit is similar to NYC in terms of how long it takes to get someplace. But it goes longer distances over the same amt of time. And I think NYC public transit is probably more of a mess right now... particularly the subways. The lightrail is luxury by comparison. Buses here tend to not run on schedule, a lot like NYC. Biggest difference with public transit here is fewer people use it, you will probably be able to sit down , the seats are more comfortable, and you will probably have to do more walking to get to a public transit stop.

Generally, I find it difficult to get around without a car. And it also just makes more sense to drive here (it's the easiest way around unlike NYC). But I'm also not living too close to the heart of Denver, so can't really speak to that. A lot of students in my program live in Capitol Hill or one of the other areas closer to downtown Denver, and they seem to do a lot of walking and biking.

I've heard from several students and staff at school that the bus down from Boulder is an easy commute (about 45 minutes, which is how long it takes to go what, 3-5 miles in NYC). Haven't done that myself though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alloo66 View Post
The step down in speed from NY would be tough even in those cities
I personally do not have this problem. Denver is still a city, there's still a bit of a pace going on. I think it depends on the person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cfella View Post
LOL @ Central Park being nature....
lol. I was talking to my driving instructor about this. There's a joke about New Yorkers that if you say there's no nature, they're like "yeah there is, we have Central Park".

Last edited by Yac; 09-07-2018 at 01:08 AM..

Old 09-02-2018, 06:28 AM

3,462 posts, read 1,700,077 times
I’ve been stuck in east-coast humidity for the past two weeks and can’t wait to get back to CO. I feel like I need 5 showers a day. I grew up here but my body is revolting agsinst this. I have no energy and no desire to do anything.

Old 09-24-2018, 12:50 PM

20 posts, read 10,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alloo66 View Post
Denver is a city trying to find its way in the 21st century, but still has roots in its past and is not quite there yet. The Plains is not the west. If you consider moving anywhere people do not like comparisons to where they're from
Yea, and I'd rather it stay that way.

Old 09-24-2018, 01:01 PM

20 posts, read 10,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmj9891 View Post
1. Has anyone here moved from Denver to NYC? Were you happy with the change?
I was born and raised in a suburb of NYC and spent a lot of time in New York. I very much prefer Colorado but the NorthEast (NYC, DC, Boston) may be my least favorite area of the country. The vibe of the two areas is very different. New York is much more type A. The constantly sounds of horns, noise, and instances of road rage are relatively absent in Denver, there is a more natural, hippie vibe. The people tend to be friendly and competent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or