Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2018, 07:02 AM

7 posts, read 23,421 times

Advertisements

Long story short, I moved to Dubuque IA (a ****hole) from Madison WI for a girl whom I HAD been with for 5 years. Relationship is now over, my lease in Dubuque ends Sept 1. I did just spent July 3rd through 12th in Colorado with a few days in Denver and loved it want to go back. ANY SUGGESTIONS for studio/efficiency/1 BR apartments in and around Denver/Boulder/ Loveland etc for under $900/mo that accepts cats? How about CO employers? I have 13 years of tech support/cust service/admin/office experience. Any suggestions there? If I don't get out of Dubuque I am going to become a statistic. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2018, 07:28 AM

11,826 posts, read 34,433,423 times
I would:
Airbnb to start.
Get a job
Find a real place.

Old 07-15-2018, 07:37 AM

776 posts, read 1,063,184 times
You should really look into jobs before apartments and visit a couple of more times. So many people (us included) moved to Denver at one time because we "fell in love with it" easy to do.... but it is just ass easy to fall out of love with it very fast if you do not take advantage of the things it offers and have the patience to deal with it all. 4

COL is very high. So a good job is necessary.
Views... Awesome until you see them every day then they stat to become just part of the haze you see all day.
Parks/Moutnains/Trails/skiing etc... Fantastic - but very touristy and crowded and prepare yourself to spend hours on the road to get to them and back.
Tourism = $$$ ( mention 3 $ because thats usually what you will spend on an average day out. 3 digits)

As far as living in Denver... If you can get over those things, you may enjoy it. It has a nice laid back atmosphere, yet half of the people are hard working like you may be used to in WI and IA.

We personally didnt care for all the pot stores everywhere. We have two boys and didnt feel that such exposure to it was a good thing.

weather is great. Lots of snow. Do not let people fool you about the perfect weather in CO. Here is the truth..... it is just like WI and IA. Cole during the winter months with plenty of off an on snow into late spring. The summers ae hot and dry. and the late spring and fall are absolutely beautiful.

Public Transit is good. LoDo is nice for downtown hot spots. Rockies and Broncos games are a good time. IT is very sread out when you leave downtown. And very wide open. Prepare yourself for lots of hail, lots of flying rocks into your windshield, get good auto insurance, and sell your fishing gear because you will never use it again.

Old 07-15-2018, 08:05 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtloucks View Post
You should really look into jobs before apartments and visit a couple of more times. So many people (us included) moved to Denver at one time because we "fell in love with it" easy to do.... but it is just ass easy to fall out of love with it very fast if you do not take advantage of the things it offers and have the patience to deal with it all. 4

COL is very high. So a good job is necessary.
Views... Awesome until you see them every day then they stat to become just part of the haze you see all day.
Parks/Moutnains/Trails/skiing etc... Fantastic - but very touristy and crowded and prepare yourself to spend hours on the road to get to them and back.
Tourism = $$$ ( mention 3 $ because thats usually what you will spend on an average day out. 3 digits)

As far as living in Denver... If you can get over those things, you may enjoy it. It has a nice laid back atmosphere, yet half of the people are hard working like you may be used to in WI and IA.

We personally didnt care for all the pot stores everywhere. We have two boys and didnt feel that such exposure to it was a good thing.

weather is great. Lots of snow. Do not let people fool you about the perfect weather in CO. Here is the truth..... it is just like WI and IA. Cole during the winter months with plenty of off an on snow into late spring. The summers ae hot and dry. and the late spring and fall are absolutely beautiful.

Public Transit is good. LoDo is nice for downtown hot spots. Rockies and Broncos games are a good time. IT is very sread out when you leave downtown. And very wide open. Prepare yourself for lots of hail, lots of flying rocks into your windshield, get good auto insurance, and sell your fishing gear because you will never use it again.
I think you meant "cold" not "cole". Typing on a phone, maybe? Anyway to the heart of the matter, the weather here is not just like the midwest's. My experience is IL, just to the south of WI and east of IA. By comparison, the winter here is possibly longer (than IL, probably not than WI or parts of IA)but certainly milder. There are numerous weather websites OP, where you can check out average temps, etc. However, what Denver looks like on paper is not necessarily what it's like IRL. Winter is full of mild (50s, sometimes even into the 60s with an occasional 70), sunny days with short bursts of cold and snow. Summers are hot and dry, in general, not to say every day is like that. Today is supposed to be in the 70s with rain. Not much of a spring, it's more like one day a week or so after the last snow you look out your window and the trees are all leafed out and the lows are in the 50s rather than the 30s/40s. Then comes summer. Fall generally does have fabulous weather.

Yes, people enjoy the outdoor activities, and aside from the skiing, you can find areas that are less crowded than the very popular places.

The worst part of COL is housing. Roommates can help. Everything else is relative. There are many COL calculators on the web.

Some areas have more pot stores than others if that's an issue. My kids were grown when legalization happened, but I don't feel it's any worse than the liquor stores next to every grocery store.

Old 07-15-2018, 08:07 AM

6,721 posts, read 6,481,316 times
yeah, going somewhere in a vacation state of mind is different than living there day to day. Get a job first, with your background it shouldn't be too difficult. Check here for listings and start sending out resumes with the stipulation that you do not "Require" relocation assistance and that you already have a plan to relocate (actually make a plan too!) > www.indeed.com

Old 07-15-2018, 08:13 AM

1,412 posts, read 1,083,886 times
I don't know that under $900 is going to happen.

Old 07-15-2018, 09:15 AM

17,711 posts, read 29,817,888 times
Padmapper.com
Use the filters.
The cat one will eliminate a lot.

Old 07-15-2018, 10:00 AM

2,478 posts, read 2,700,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by history nerd View Post
I don't know that under $900 is going to happen.
I know of an $800 a month apartment complex near South Glenn off Arapahoe and University across from the South Suburban ice rink that will take a cat. Outdoor parking. Cheapest place I’ve heard of. I knew someone who lived there before buying a place in Castle Rock.

Old 07-15-2018, 10:19 AM

1,412 posts, read 1,083,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
I know of an $800 a month apartment complex near South Glenn off Arapahoe and University across from the South Suburban ice rink that will take a cat. Outdoor parking. Cheapest place I’ve heard of. I knew someone who lived there before buying a place in Castle Rock.
How recently? I know there are a few places that cheap but I've rarely found any with rooms available.

Old 07-15-2018, 11:24 AM

989 posts, read 2,441,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
I would:
Airbnb to start.
Get a job
Find a real place.
Even better - maybe stay in a hostel for even cheaper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver