U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2018, 07:12 PM

2,243 posts, read 930,806 times

Advertisements

Alright, so a little tongue in cheek, but for you locals, perhaps you'll appreciate this breaking news story about a local staple.

My fiancee and I live not very far from Sam's No. 3 on Havana. In fact, it's a pretty quick walk over there from our house. It seems like recently (without running it by us first) they changed their hours to 7am to 2pm all day, every day.

Now, as much as I like Sam's for their crazy breakfast/brunch crowds, we often patronized the restaurant as our local bar spot in the evenings. We'd go there sometimes for happy hour, and sometimes for a quick late meal when we didn't feel like cooking. It was out main go to, within walking distance, for drinks and entrees.

I'm really disappointed by this news. Have any of you heard about this, or do you even care? I just feel like Sam's has been a staple around the metro with three locations now. Sam's on Havana was one of the originals, and one of the first diners/restaurants/bars I patronized regularly. The fiancee and I have decided that we're going to no longer patronize this location in protest of this move. Thank god there is another location not far from us in Glendale that has retained it's all day hours of operation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2018, 07:32 PM

20,967 posts, read 11,615,689 times
Here's their explanation

https://samsno3.com/2018/07/18/sams-...-to-2pm-daily/

Kind of a bummer but in reality, we've been going to the Glendale location most of the time anyway, even though Aurora is closer.

Definitely won't keep me from going though, it's one of our favorites at whichever location.

Old 07-22-2018, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Here's their explanation

https://samsno3.com/2018/07/18/sams-...-to-2pm-daily/

Kind of a bummer but in reality, we've been going to the Glendale location most of the time anyway, even though Aurora is closer.

Definitely won't keep me from going though, it's one of our favorites at whichever location.
Thanks for sharing that link. We figured it was a financial decision. Coincidentally, the restaurant across the street (most recently called Salvage) closed a few weeks ago. We believe their problem was that they were far too pricey for that area. It was never busy, definitely not even close to Sam's volume.

It makes you wonder if real estate costs in the area have skyrocketed so much that it's driving them out. You'd think that the Glendale and Downtown locations would be harder hit by that given their prime locations. It just blows my mind that it's a financial decision, because this location seemed to be always fairly busy throughout the day, if not booming during the breakfast/brunch rush on the weekends. It'll be interesting to find out how they choose to maintain their extensive menu given that they'll only be open for a few hours around the lunch time frame. When we bought out home last year, we were so excited to be able to walk to Sam's at all times of the day at our leisure.

Old 07-22-2018, 07:49 PM

20,967 posts, read 11,615,689 times
Someone I know has a breakfast/lunch restaurant (not in Denver) and they have pretty much the same size menu. It's more about staffing costs and the owners and managers having a better work/life balance with the shorter workdays. They are looking at a single shift each day, and that's a HUGE cost savings, even if you aren't cutting down the menu.

Old 07-22-2018, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Someone I know has a breakfast/lunch restaurant (not in Denver) and they have pretty much the same size menu. It's more about staffing costs and the owners and managers having a better work/life balance with the shorter workdays. They are looking at a single shift each day, and that's a HUGE cost savings, even if you aren't cutting down the menu.
Sure, it makes sense. The news just came as a surprise and disappointment. A surprise, because it was one of the busiest and happening spots on this side of town, and a disappointment for all the obvious reasons from a pair of loyal regulars who loved having a legit, non-chain 'night spot' within walking distance.

Old 07-22-2018, 08:54 PM

6,902 posts, read 6,494,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left-handed View Post
Sure, it makes sense. The news just came as a surprise and disappointment. A surprise, because it was one of the busiest and happening spots on this side of town, and a disappointment for all the obvious reasons from a pair of loyal regulars who loved having a legit, non-chain 'night spot' within walking distance.
I grew up in that neighborhood and went to high school with the guys who started Samís. I canít imagine they wouíld be doing this without a good reason. If they were making money by staying open late they would continue to.

Old 07-22-2018, 10:36 PM

954 posts, read 513,912 times
That's sad... I used to enjoy an evening huevos rancheros there from time to time. I can totally see why this would be a good business move though.

Old 07-23-2018, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by history nerd View Post
That's sad... I used to enjoy an evening huevos rancheros there from time to time. I can totally see why this would be a good business move though.
Based on their press release above, and the comments here, it does make sense. I just thought it got a lot more business than it was. It makes sense that if they're not doing well, then cutting hours is the way to go. I just thought, in comparison to Glendale and Downtown, it was just as busy, if not more busy in some cases. Especially when compared to Glendale's location. But Downtown and Glendale both still have later hours.

Oh well, at least Moe's BBQ is still open late night; we can walk there from our place. It might also help us to not eat/drink out as much.

Last edited by Left-handed; 07-23-2018 at 10:48 AM..

Old 07-28-2018, 05:03 PM

8,082 posts, read 2,816,523 times
Bummer. I haven't been here long, but Sam's pretty quickly became the #1 choice for dinner on nights I didn't want to cook. Sure as sh...ootin', I will end up there at least one night when they're closed.

I dunno. I never figured Denver as a town where they roll up the sidewalks at 8, like a lot of east coast cities. But it's tough to find a decent place that doesn't stop serving or close at 8 or 9, if not close for dinner, evenings and a couple of days a week.

Old 07-28-2018, 08:06 PM

6,902 posts, read 6,494,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Bummer. I haven't been here long, but Sam's pretty quickly became the #1 choice for dinner on nights I didn't want to cook. Sure as sh...ootin', I will end up there at least one night when they're closed.

I dunno. I never figured Denver as a town where they roll up the sidewalks at 8, like a lot of east coast cities. But it's tough to find a decent place that doesn't stop serving or close at 8 or 9, if not close for dinner, evenings and a couple of days a week.
Certainly more in the burbs than the city. Denver locations are still open late.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver