U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2018, 09:22 PM

12,220 posts, read 7,995,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left-handed View Post
I personally do not agree with the bolded. The climate, vast coastal region, mountains, and desert make the state of CA one of the most diverse regions in the US. And as far as the oceanic atmosphere, I think that's something you either love or you don't. I personally love the smell (yes, there is a distinct smell) and feel of coastal California. Washington and Oregon are a close 2nd on my list, mostly because of how lush and green they are.
I agree with everything in this post especially the smell. I also like the feeling of dried salt water on my skin after getting out of the ocean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2018, 10:03 AM

22,608 posts, read 16,120,144 times
No, I haven't thought about it.
I've been here six years, moved here for work, resented having to do so in the beginning but have enjoyed living here much more than I ever expected I would.

Yes, the COL is high compared to some other places, but, unlike some of those other less expensive places, there is opportunity here that may not be found "there."

As for housing, I am (still) happily renting and looking to downsize in the next year from the SFH to an apartment for a more maintenance-free lifestyle. I expect to find something that will still cost less per month than I was paying eleven years ago when I left North Jersey, so I consider that a win.
And while traffic has increased since I've been here, it's still nowhere near the levels of what I left back east.

Combine that with much better weather and more relaxed lifestyle than the NYC metro, more and much better amenities than southern NM where I had been living before moving here - I'm thinking museums, professional sports, etc. - as well as all sorts of wonderful restaurants, parks, the thrift shops (!), access to excellent healthcare and I have absolutely no reason or desire to leave particularly since the only place I would consider going is back to southern NM.
But, I'm not going.
I've no desire to give up living near a world-class airport, decent public transportation, more than one supermarket chain, city (of Aurora) recreation programs that offer more classes and activities than one could ever enjoy, multiple community theaters - the list goes on and on...

Old 08-01-2018, 10:18 AM

1,786 posts, read 1,117,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Ski View Post
Is it? I don't know...

I've been all over the state. Visited every National Park and almost every worthy natural area. Yes, it is beautiful, but the urban areas really drag down some of that beauty in my eyes. For a coastal/mountain state, I find Washington a lot more beautiful overall. My vote for the US overall goes to Montana.

You can get anything that you would find in CA in any other state...and with far less crowds.

And for the record, I'm not a CA basher. This year has certainly opened my eyes to the state, and it really has grown on me. I just don't find it to the be THE BEST at anything.
Sedona is my favorite national park - that said AZ isn't the best at anything other than that.

But I'm sorry "you can get anything you would find in CA anywhere else" with regards to what? A bottle of milk? You can't find Joshua Tree in Kansas and you won't find the Pacific Ocean in Minnesota. There's a reason why CA is the world's 5th biggest economy in the world.

Sure it's not for everyone, just ask my Mom who's East Coast for life. She generalizes CA as filled up with a bunch of spoiled millionaires (even though she's wealthy herself.) Then again I initially judged as CO as a bunch of people having fun in the mountains all the time and it didn't end up being that to me. I can't tell you how living in CO made me burn through my savings compared to CA with regards to car repairs, airplane tickets back east (guilted into coming back more), tolls, tickets, going out (more expensive than anticipated at times, still cheaper than CA.)

However, after growing up in NJ and seeing how that state wastes money like no other, CA isn't nearly as bad, IMHO. It should also be noted that it's a hell of a lot cheaper these days to live in San Diego or Los Angeles over San Francisco.

Old 08-01-2018, 11:01 AM

From what I have researched I could make around 50% more in Southern California than I am making here but it would go just as far because of the COL.

I had the opportunity to purchase my parent's San Diego County property in 2015 but the price and timing were not right.

I am firmly rooted here in the Denver Metro area and I love it. It fits my needs and values. My daughter is thriving here and the dryness is good for my wife. She has RA and the lack of humidity helps.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 08-06-2018 at 08:38 PM..

Old 08-01-2018, 11:07 AM

1,786 posts, read 1,117,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
From what I have researched I could make around 50% more in Southern California than I am making here but it would go just as far because of the COL.

I had the opportunity to purchase my parent's San Diego County property in 2015 but the price and timing were not right.

I am firmly rooted here in the Denver Metro area and I love it. It fits my needs and values. My daughter is thriving here and the dryness is good for my wife. She has RA and the lack of humidity helps.
Depend on what you want to compare it to. There are things in Los Angeles that are cheaper than Denver. For instance my car insurance is lower in L.A. than Denver by a small margin. I believe things like internet are cheaper. Groceries are about the same unless you're shopping at Whole Foods or Gelson's all the time.

Check out this comparison - L.A. is not all that much higher compared to Denver. It's really just real estate that's the lion share of the issue: Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

Last edited by Yac; 08-03-2018 at 02:05 AM..

Old 08-01-2018, 11:26 AM

603 posts, read 505,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N610DL View Post
Sedona is my favorite national park - that said AZ isn't the best at anything other than that.

But I'm sorry "you can get anything you would find in CA anywhere else" with regards to what? A bottle of milk? You can't find Joshua Tree in Kansas and you won't find the Pacific Ocean in Minnesota. There's a reason why CA is the world's 5th biggest economy in the world.

Sure it's not for everyone, just ask my Mom who's East Coast for life. She generalizes CA as filled up with a bunch of spoiled millionaires (even though she's wealthy herself.) Then again I initially judged as CO as a bunch of people having fun in the mountains all the time and it didn't end up being that to me. I can't tell you how living in CO made me burn through my savings compared to CA with regards to car repairs, airplane tickets back east (guilted into coming back more), tolls, tickets, going out (more expensive than anticipated at times, still cheaper than CA.)

However, after growing up in NJ and seeing how that state wastes money like no other, CA isn't nearly as bad, IMHO. It should also be noted that it's a hell of a lot cheaper these days to live in San Diego or Los Angeles over San Francisco.

Haha so true, I live in AZ now, while its not the worst its definitely not my favorite place.

Old 08-01-2018, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N610DL View Post
Depend on what you want to compare it to. There are things in Los Angeles that are cheaper than Denver. For instance my car insurance is lower in L.A. than Denver by a small margin. I believe things like internet are cheaper. Groceries are about the same unless you're shopping at Whole Foods or Gelson's all the time.

Check out this comparison - L.A. is not all that much higher compared to Denver. It's really just real estate that's the lion share of the issue: Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site
Property values and the prices of gas are the biggies. Other than that they are comparable. If my wife and I were still DINKS we might have moved back. I can support my family on only my income here while owning a home in an area I like. I know that wouldn't be the case in California even if I got a huge COL increase.

Last edited by Yac; 08-03-2018 at 02:06 AM..

Old 08-01-2018, 02:52 PM

I feel lucky that I got in way before the current real estate boom here. The house we bought in 2004 jumped quite a bit in value after 2013. We were able to sell it and use the equity to upgrade to a bigger house and still not have a giant mortgage payment. If we would used that money to buy a house in California in a comparable area there the house would have been about $200K to $300K more. That is a huge difference.

We are an outdoors family. We would trade the mountains for the ocean if we could. It just wouldn't be the right thing to do right now.

If you can save to buy a house outright then you are setting yourself up for an early and comfortable retirement.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 08-06-2018 at 08:40 PM..

Old 08-01-2018, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oping00 View Post
Its not just LA, OC has had tremendous growth, Laguna beach and Mission Viejo is one of my favorite places. Northern Cal is actually my favorite area in Cal. Of course it all comes with a price, but nothing wrong with trying it out.
I love the sleepy surf towns in Northern California. Santa Cruz comes to mind. That is actually more central.

Old 08-02-2018, 08:14 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,606,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Count David View Post
Of course. I myself have been thinking about doing something like this off/on for about the last 9 years, and us moving here to CO in the first place was a similar planned jump on a whim (don't know if you know our story, but we moved here from CA with $6K, no jobs, and three kids when we were in our early 20's).

I wanted a "better" social circle here in CO, but it turns out we had a better one back in CA all along (and still do). We've been in pretty deep valleys socially for most of the time we've been here. Putting down roots here was essentially what we have done nonetheless, but this still doesn't feel like "home", but more like a city we're renting on a long lease. We did do homework (and a week-long trip) before we moved here, and I still feel like we checked many of the boxes on that original checklist.

My wife's family is originally from Pittsburgh, but she herself has never been (nor have I). I'll admit that I'm not as curious about it as I think I should be.

Re: Southern issues, to me it seems that the local cultures just accept things as they are. In many ways, I think that is sad, because if a person of one of the marginalized backgrounds lives in that kind of environment for their whole lives, they are missing out on other parts of the country where they could possibly be more successful and free from the restraints the local culture places on them. It's a shame really. And it's a shame that some of these places are so resistant to change, even if they are big metro areas.

For me personally, I really think I can file that stuff away, and do my best to be the positive change I want to see (anywhere for that matter).

Some of these places surprised me at their size, or at least had more amenities than I expected when I looked at their populations. Carbondale, IL is one example, Paducah is another (just saying ).

For ourselves, the career bit is figured out, and we could move some of our operations to the new place.

Anyhow, I guess we can compare notes until one (or both) of us makes the jump.
That's a crazy move! Did not know that.

About the south, people told me the people who had motivation got up and left because the culture of the area kept wanting to keep things the way they were. The people who are left behind are content with the way things are.

Smaller cities / metros (50,000-1,000,000 people) in general appeal to me more than the big cities, if I could get a job in a smaller metro that is. I feel like people are best off going as small of a metro as offers the amenities they need or particularly want. Travel can fulfil the couple times a year amenities. I think trying to live where you can have it all means you end up with not being able to use much of any of it. Illinois cities really look pretty from the pics / street view. They look so functional yet purpos

Across the country, it seems like this area has best small cities as well. Out west they seem screwed up (like Redding or Susanville CA) or real expensive (Santa Fe). In the south, there's that culture problem...

I really didn't like California the times I've visited. To me, it feels like Disneyland on spring break. So many things to do, but you're just waiting in lines the whole time and people leave there trash around when they are done. The trash and homeless problems really bother me, moreso than the cool parts impressed me. The pretty parts are a real drive. I'd happily deal with crappy weather to go on more rides so to speak. I would like to go to Reno and see NE California though. It's a shame there's not more people there, cause they are all living on top of each other on the coast.

We'll definitely compare observations as we go! CD keeps banning me from repping people until I rep around more
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or