U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2018, 05:17 PM

758 posts, read 582,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Farming sounds like way too much work.
You don't need to actually farm...you just need to make it look like you farm on Instagram. Just rip up your clothes a bit and throw some soil on the knees before heading into town
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2018, 05:35 PM

1,788 posts, read 1,126,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Ski View Post
You don't need to actually farm...you just need to make it look like you farm on Instagram. Just rip up your clothes a bit and throw some soil on the knees before heading into town
And film yourself chugging some Mad Dog 20/20 while sitting on a tracker

Old 08-16-2018, 06:04 AM

572 posts, read 283,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N610DL View Post
And film yourself chugging some Mad Dog 20/20 while sitting on a tracker
A Bass Tracker (boat)?

Sounds awesome!

Old 08-16-2018, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHS79 View Post
A Bass Tracker (boat)?

Sounds awesome!
Tractor - Apologies my eyes are going.

Old 08-16-2018, 10:53 AM

2,078 posts, read 1,250,884 times
Quote:
^ I also think that our generation will move on to the next big thing once we start growing up. I was making a joke the other day about the hipster trends on the past ten years. Mountains, beards, flannel, urban living, etc...it would be funny if living on the plains, or in some agricultural region, will become the next trendy lifestyle. Hipsters buying plots of land to farm, wearing straw hats and shirtless bibs, square dancing, etc...idk. Places like Nebraska, Kansas, Oklahoma, etc start getting mass influxes of people. Nothing will surprise me
LOL--Some friends of mine actually did buy a 60-acre ranch way out on the plains about two years ago, but they're mostly raising livestock, which had been a dream of theirs for the past ten years. They were just finally in a financial position to do so. They're pretty happy out there, and they're keeping busy.

I have to admit that I've been debating if I'd like some acreage, but not for farming/ranching purposes. I'd just like some space between myself and my neighbors. And I admit, getting a little more outside Denver is appealing. Part of why I moved to my current place was that it wasn't developed to the seven hells, and I enjoyed seeing mostly sweeping plains/ridges, with the occasional small housing development here and there. But in the three short years I've been there, they've built 700 new housing units in the area. Both are across major roads from where I am, and we do have a protected open space to our east, so it's still not *too* bad, but the housing developments are only now starting to get moved in to, so that could change. My neighbors are actually fairly nice, but I'm still beginning to feel that 'getting hemmed in' feeling.

I'd even take half an acre a little further away from the metro area, honestly. As I've been getting older, I care less about 'going out on the town', and am more and more content to relax at my home and enjoy the outdoors.

As for "mountains vs. plains"....part of me thinks, "Oh, the mountains would be great in the summer, the temperature would be cooler" (I am not a fan of hot), but then the flip side is, winter would be a 'rhymes with witch'. So if my financial situation ever allows for it, I may move a little further out to the plains.

I also have to keep in mind though, that as much as I am not a fan of crowds as I age, I'm also not a big fan of commuting, so that's something else to keep in mind.

Funny thing is, I really do love my current house. I keep looking at it, all excited about projects I have planned for it, and keep daydreaming about how lovely it will look when I'm finally done--and not with the intention of 'flipping it to get my money back', but 'making it all about what I want'. And yet, I find myself looking at properties every so often that are on larger plots of land and a little further away.

Old 08-16-2018, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo Cardinal View Post
LOL--Some friends of mine actually did buy a 60-acre ranch way out on the plains about two years ago, but they're mostly raising livestock, which had been a dream of theirs for the past ten years. They were just finally in a financial position to do so. They're pretty happy out there, and they're keeping busy.

I'd even take half an acre a little further away from the metro area, honestly. As I've been getting older, I care less about 'going out on the town', and am more and more content to relax at my home and enjoy the outdoors.

As for "mountains vs. plains"....part of me thinks, "Oh, the mountains would be great in the summer, the temperature would be cooler" (I am not a fan of hot), but then the flip side is, winter would be a 'rhymes with witch'. So if my financial situation ever allows for it, I may move a little further out to the plains.
We had an acre growing up in Northern NJ. You'd be surprised for a *lawn* how much work it was with big trees. Parents had landscapers over several times a week, constant lawn moving, deer invasions, ticks, etc. I got Lyme's Disease twice as a kid as well. Perhaps the worst was the flooding into the basement of our home during a weak hurricane because the soil was so weak and we had to install a separate drainage system which didn't work well. Think twice about it if you ask me. Especially since a lot of the Midwest has a tick problem like the East Coast too.

Old 08-16-2018, 11:54 AM

20,840 posts, read 39,059,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N610DL View Post
We had an acre growing up in Northern NJ. You'd be surprised for a *lawn* how much work it was with big trees. Parents had landscapers over several times a week, constant lawn moving, deer invasions, ticks, etc. I got Lyme's Disease twice as a kid as well. Perhaps the worst was the flooding into the basement of our home during a weak hurricane because the soil was so weak and we had to install a separate drainage system which didn't work well. Think twice about it if you ask me. Especially since a lot of the Midwest has a tick problem like the East Coast too.
There's a new breed of foreign tick invading NJ and the northeast, fatal in 15% of cases. Be glad you're not there these day.

Denver is high and dry, you'd be safe there, consider it, lots to like about Denver, nightly wine parties at Dave's, can't go wrong, believe me.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 08-16-2018, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
There's a new breed of foreign tick invading NJ and the northeast, fatal in 15% of cases. Be glad you're not there these day.

Denver is high and dry, you'd be safe there, consider it, lots to like about Denver, nightly wine parties at Dave's, can't go wrong, believe me.
That stinks. I think the scariest part about ticks is how it will really affect you if you get Lyme's as an adult and you can't even tell because it's after the fact. At least I got it when I was 6-7 years old and get on antibiotics for a month and it doesn't damage things neurologically like as an adult.

Old 08-17-2018, 10:04 AM

12,250 posts, read 8,038,289 times
I grew up on a Christmas tree farm in San Diego county. Parents had 7 acres but stopped the Christmas trees in 2000. I wish I could have bought it from them in 2015. They had lots of citrus and avocado trees on their property.

Old 08-17-2018, 10:30 PM

83 posts, read 37,751 times
Quote:
I enjoy looking back of my social media posts back from 2009 or so. I was hanging around Detroit, Columbus, Cleveland, Milwaukee, and Indianapolis...it's kind of funny how the "hipster" lifestyle basically started in the midwest and rust belt. I even think back to earlier than that too. I had a fixie back in 2005, and my uncles were brewing craft beer for as long as I remember (well since the 80s). That "lifestyle" was really kind of a reaction to living in such a S*** place during the recession. Broke artists and college students so desperate for something interesting, making the most of the vacant environment. It was kind of magical in a way though. And being able to rent an entire 6 bedroom house downtown in Milwaukee for $600 was awesome.

But once the economy started to improve, it was the basic bros (and women), from the coasts, or well of suburban areas in decent cities attaching themselves to that lifestyle. Their life was so boring, flat, white bread, and without problems, that the "lifestyle" was attractive. But instead of deadbeats and broke artists, it was well-off people who graduated with jobs, or had money from mom and dad. Then...well, we all know what happened. And today, we have this generic, yuppie, plain, urban environment with a "cleaner hipster" vibe. And the cost of living got insane.

Denver, Portland, and Seattle were similar to the dying rust belt, but I think they attracted those well off basic bros first. And sadly, I think a lot of Denver's perceived lifestyle is kind of getting out of hand. I can't tell you how many people I see on my own Facebook who suddenly become Mountain Outdoorsy. They take one trip to Colorado to smoke some weed, and all of a sudden they are decked out in high end REI clothes, driving a subaru, posting selfies with #mountainlife, etc...we all know the type.

It will be interesting to see if this fabricated lifestyle holds up or not. In the end, I think people are always bored with their life, and feel the grass is greener on the other side. They attach themselves to a place or identity to compensate for their lack of personality. I don't think this will all collapse...but definitely taper off.

*End post double espresso rambling.
I also identify my own irony
Too funny, about the fake mountain life bros. I have wanted to go back to Denver since I left 9 years ago (undergrad and now grad school), then a couple years ago started reading stuff on this forum about how Denver was becoming so hipster/yuppie in a repulsive way. It made me hesitate about going back. Back then I used to say to natives I have this fear of it becoming too much like NYC (where I'm from - so yeah I'm one of those coastal Millennials), they'd basically all react like "please don't say that".

I haven't been back very long - less than a week, plus the two days or so I visited in April for my grad program - my impression so far is everything is just becoming more homogenized. Cities don't have as distinct personalities as they used to.

That being said, I moved here in large part to get away from overcrowding and traffic. And just more overall livability. So again, I have that fear of those things becoming inescapable. But I think it's also relative to an extent. E.g. I never got the impression the drivers here were "crazy" Like, at least they have the courtesy (except it's also the law, dammit) to stop to let me cross the street and generally follow right of way stuff. But maybe if you moved here from a farm...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or