Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2018, 09:05 AM

100 posts, read 127,605 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if anyone else has left or thought about leaving Denver. The main factor that frustrated us the most were the home prices in the metro area and feeling that we missed the boom and couldn't really get into the market. I know there are suburbs but that sort of loses the appeal of the city and creates a bad commute. Other than that, even just 5 years ago the traffic to I-70 wasn't as bad. It got to a point where I couldn't take it and took a lot of the fun out of mountain trips. Sometimes I miss it dearly but I realized when I was there I was ready to get out to a smaller city once we had some better job offers on the table, and not having any family roots in CO contributed as well. Relocation can be tough, just want to know how it's going for others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2018, 10:26 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,358,417 times
Honestly, no. A week fighting the crowds and traffic of southern California has renewed my appreciation of everything Colorado has to offer. Furthermore, I grew up in one of those affordable midwestern cities. I won't be going back. I still love it here in Colorado and have no plans to leave. This is my place.

Old 07-25-2018, 11:01 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,194,523 times
I've thought about leaving Denver but not for the reasons you've said. I can't see choosing to live in any city much smaller than this so unfortunately the crowds and the traffic seem to be part and parcel of that.

My main reason is that even after a dozen years here, the climate and the altitude are just not a great fit for me. I feel so much better when I'm back at sea level with some humidity.

So that will be a factor when I'm ready to move on from here, but I don't anticipate that happening until my son is through with high school and college, and I'm starting to explore my options for where I want to be in retirement. However, I'm sure wherever it is will end up having crowds and traffic.

And since it's likely to be someplace popular to live since other people like the same amenities I like, it's likely to be expensive too. But since I moved to Denver from an even more expensive location where I owned a condo, I have been able to own here so will have that equity to take with me wherever I go.

Old 07-25-2018, 11:34 AM

1,849 posts, read 1,807,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I've thought about leaving Denver but not for the reasons you've said. I can't see choosing to live in any city much smaller than this so unfortunately the crowds and the traffic seem to be part and parcel of that.

My main reason is that even after a dozen years here, the climate and the altitude are just not a great fit for me. I feel so much better when I'm back at sea level with some humidity.

So that will be a factor when I'm ready to move on from here, but I don't anticipate that happening until my son is through with high school and college, and I'm starting to explore my options for where I want to be in retirement. However, I'm sure wherever it is will end up having crowds and traffic.

And since it's likely to be someplace popular to live since other people like the same amenities I like, it's likely to be expensive too. But since I moved to Denver from an even more expensive location where I owned a condo, I have been able to own here so will have that equity to take with me wherever I go.
Altitude got to me as well. Some it's not a good fit physically, even in some cases mentally as well. It wasn't the definitive reason why I left but you realize at sea level you are sometimes a much different person.

Have you considered like Orange County, CA or San Diego? Being at sea level is a much better fit for me as well.

Old 07-25-2018, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N610DL View Post
Altitude got to me as well. Some it's not a good fit physically, even in some cases mentally as well. It wasn't the definitive reason why I left but you realize at sea level you are sometimes a much different person.

Have you considered like Orange County, CA or San Diego? Being at sea level is a much better fit for me as well.
Yep, San Diego is at the top of the list, I love it there. But this is all a decade plus down the road, so I'm not making too many plans yet.

Old 07-25-2018, 12:16 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,358,417 times
What appeals to you about SD, emm? I've never been south of Orange County, so I don't really know what the city is like.

Old 07-25-2018, 12:43 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,612,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Yep, San Diego is at the top of the list, I love it there. But this is all a decade plus down the road, so I'm not making too many plans yet.
I am with you on that. I would love to move back to San Diego if the opportunity came up. The ocean recharges my batteries.

I still love it here too.

Old 07-25-2018, 02:10 PM

2,241 posts, read 1,475,295 times
We played with the idea last summer before we bought our new home. The biggest draw for me is the dry climate and biking. I'd be willing to live somewhere closer to the water.

Truth be told, we only visit the mountains a handful of times per year, unless we have ski passes. The allure there just isn't what it used to be. Especially with all the forest fires.

If we end up moving again, it won't be for at least five years in this home.

Old 07-25-2018, 02:23 PM

5,118 posts, read 3,413,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecock2001 View Post
Has anyone relocated or thought of relocating due to COL/traffic/overall crowdedness?
As a matter of fact, we are thinking about it. We came out from the east coast for a job 4 years ago and that job is ending very soon. We have the option of staying here or going wherever we want. It's mostly been a Cinderella story here. We love the weather, the area where we live, and don't mind the COL, because it's what we were used to. But in just 4 years, we've seen the traffic increase exponentially. We're in a suburban area in the southeast metro, convenient to Colorado Springs, but getting there on I25 is becoming nearly impossible. Rt 83 is an option that we use a lot, but I've seen way too many drivers texting on that 2-lane road to feel comfortable, especially at night, and there have been fatalities there due to that. When we first moved out, we were going up to Estes Park or WY a couple of times a month on weekends, and now that drive north is horrible. Unless we see some willingness to spend money on improving the infrastructure, I'm pretty sure we'll be leaving. We feel like we can no longer live with Tabor. There are things we love about the state, but we can come back a couple of times a year and do the CO road trips that we love.

The talk about San Diego is funny. When we were there a couple of years ago, dh and I were feeling very fatigued and couldn't figure out why. Then it hit us that we were feeling the humidity! Not east-coast humidity, but having come from Denver, it was noticeable. We loved the area that that is probably the only place in CA we would consider living.

Old 07-25-2018, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
What appeals to you about SD, emm? I've never been south of Orange County, so I don't really know what the city is like.
Kind of like real estate and location, location, location. It's weather, weather, weather

but aside from that

access to the beach
lots of fun stuff to see and do
cute neighborhoods
interesting history
easy proximity to other interesting places (I miss that so much about Boston, and that's one of Denver's biggest drawbacks to me)

plus I have family there (not immediate but we are still fairly close)

It's a great place to visit if you have any vacation plans coming up
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver