U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2018, 07:03 AM

6,522 posts, read 10,191,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx2Co19 View Post
Oh that's not so bad. What does the average electricity bill look like?
Our electricity and natural gas are on one bill. Highest it's been over the last 18 months was $176 in January of this year. It averages out to about $120 - $130 per month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2018, 07:06 AM

28 posts, read 16,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Our electricity and natural gas are on one bill. Highest it's been over the last 18 months was $176 in January of this year. It averages out to about $120 - $130 per month.
Nice, well it doesn't sounds as bad as I thought. Here it really only spikes in the summer due to the 100+ degree days.

As a side note, are you or anyone else on here familiar with the Reunion community in Commerce City? That's where my family is looking to live

Old 08-02-2018, 07:17 AM

3,043 posts, read 2,076,221 times
Some utility companies offer cost averaging as well. They will take the last 12 months worth of data to determine monthly average, and you sign up for one consistent monthly bill. Averages are recalculated every year.

Old 08-02-2018, 07:36 AM

6,522 posts, read 10,191,303 times
Quote:
Nice, well it doesn't sounds as bad as I thought. Here it really only spikes in the summer due to the 100+ degree days.

As a side note, are you or anyone else on here familiar with the Reunion community in Commerce City? That's where my family is looking to live
When we lived in DFW our electric & gas bill in July and August was typically around $400. You won't use AC nearly as much here We've only had ours on all night once in the last 5 years. Most days it runs from noon/1pm until 8pm. Then you open the windows.

Reunion is ok. The schools aren't that great and it's just north of final approach for the runways on the west side of DIA so there will likely be jet noise.

Old 08-02-2018, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
When we lived in DFW our electric & gas bill in July and August was typically around $400. You won't use AC nearly as much here We've only had ours on all night once in the last 5 years. Most days it runs from noon/1pm until 8pm. Then you open the windows.

Reunion is ok. The schools aren't that great and it's just north of final approach for the runways on the west side of DIA so there will likely be jet noise.

Well I'm definitely looking forward to the lowered energy bills then!

Gotcha. Schools aren't an issue. The airport noise might be, though. They are wanting somewhere a bit out of the city, more so east since it is cheaper. The majority of places they have looked at have been in Adams County, they also looked in Watkins but it was too far out

Old 08-02-2018, 11:31 AM

13,946 posts, read 20,190,335 times
Quote:
the Reunion community in Commerce City
"Property taxes" are much higher than average. Fees for roads and schools.
Pay attention.

Old 08-02-2018, 01:48 PM

86,878 posts, read 102,269,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver_Surfer View Post
Fair warning: the cost to own a home in Denver (and the surrounding suburbs) is really, really high. If you're okay with moving here and renting forever, disregard this. However, I think a lot of people move to Denver, fall in love with it, and then realize they'll never be able to pay 400-600k for a house. Salaries in Denver are known for being lower than most major cities. Most of us can't come up with 80k for a down payment. It's sort of heartbreaking.

I only raise this point because I'm in this situation and feeling like I'll never be able to put down roots here which sucks.

I'm not trying to dissuade you from moving here. It's just something to keep in mind. If you're just planning on passing through for a few years and enjoying the city, go for it. A lot of people love it here.
"Really, really high" means the median home price in all of metro Denver is ~$500K. There are more and less expensive areas.

Old 08-02-2018, 01:50 PM

568 posts, read 1,044,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
"Property taxes" are much higher than average. Fees for roads and schools.
Pay attention.
This. Taxes are significantly higher, so while the homes may look more affordable at first glance, the monthly payments are similar to higher priced homes elsewhere in Denver. Otherwise, it is a nicely designed community.

Old 08-02-2018, 06:16 PM

571 posts, read 282,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augie Daugie View Post
This. Taxes are significantly higher, so while the homes may look more affordable at first glance, the monthly payments are similar to higher priced homes elsewhere in Denver. Otherwise, it is a nicely designed community.

Cities that are approving new developments in CO. are finally adding addl. fees/taxes/Special Improvement Districts to these new areas and I applaud the change.

It makes new developments pay for the upkeep and the associated infrastructure costs that should be paid by these residents, not by people who do not live in the area or the general public.

What's not to love about that?

As davebarnes said earlier- pay attention!

Last edited by LHS79; 08-02-2018 at 06:26 PM..

Old 10-09-2018, 09:29 AM

Reviving this thread because I had a question and didn't want to create a whoie new thread:

1) Religiosity
A) How religious are people around Denver?
B) I'm Greek Orthodox and there seem to be a lot of Orthodox parishes around the metro, any recommendations? (This might be a long shot)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or