Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2018, 04:24 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,557,632 times

Advertisements

Best of luck! Sounds like the right decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2018, 08:43 AM

2,646 posts, read 1,845,938 times
The Denver area has so much going for it. The beautiful Rocky Mountains, Red Rocks for concerts, history, art and science museums. Beautiful parks. Great public transportation system.

I have been trying to get back to my hometown, for quite a few years. Miss it terribly. When I worked downtown, I used to go the Denver Art Museum on my lunch break. The 16th street mall has a shuttle that takes you from one end of downtown to the other. (The mall has been a little rough around the edges at times.)

Of course, I may be a little biased, I was born in Denver. Still, we have been to lots of states in our great country.....we always came back to Denver.

Did I mention the eats? Now that is another thing I miss. Chinese, Mexican, Italian, American....it's all great. And the city parks, built for people, in mind.

Ski? Great slopes, if you like. Just hiking and being in the mountains, the fresh air, anyway guess you know where my heart is.

Good luck, to you and yours and don't forget Denver.

Old 08-16-2018, 12:57 PM

8 posts, read 10,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtloucks View Post
We lived in Denver 2015-2016 and liked it overall. we didnt have and huge complaints, but felt it was overrated. We are not avid skiers/mountain people. We do enjoy hiking and biking. It was always more hassle to get all loaded up and get out to thee mountains than it was worth to us so we just stayed around town most of the time. We have moved around a lot in our past and are currently in Tampa Florida and could not be more unhappy. We hate the never changing climate, the people are rude, driers are the worst (yep the worst) and I could go on why it doesnt fit our lifestyle but to keep it short, we are on the move. Either back to DFW or Denver. Jobs lined up in both places and set to move in a couple of months. We are having hard time deciding between the two, but I am not asking to compare the two at all... plenty of forums on that. My hang up is this:

We really did appreciate the people, QOL, activities, amenities, jobs, economy, etc in Denver when we were there. We left simply to go back to family. Denver at the time was not our favorite, but as we grow a couple of years older we become a little wiser and our interests change slightly. We know it is a good area and what it has to offer and what the negatives are for us. My question is more to the people who either moved there recently from DFW areas, or to others who, like us, may not be into the mountain play activities.

Do you feel that Denver offers a quality of life comparable to other cities like DFW, Minneapolis, Charlotte, Phoenix, etc? Not in comparison to weather so please dont remind me that Phoenix is so hot and Minneapolis is so cold.... I get that. But in regards to culture, arts, outdoor fun, festivals, farmers markets, gatherings, concerts/music scene, etc.

Is Denver enjoyable to live in or is it getting stressful for the M-F work grind?

Has the fact that several other states have legalized Marijuana affected the influx of people?

(one thing i didnt care for was all the marijuana exposure. i have two teenage sons and dint want them to fall into bad habits becoming exposed to it easily)

It appears that housing prices have stabilized and is lasting longer. Even more inventory that there used to be. True?

What your major concerns in the metro now days>

Here is a short list of why we decided to leave but can find a way to overcome now::
Homeless. Seemed like downtown was saturated.
-The feared bubble in the housing market. We got out and did well.
-The exposure to marijuana to our sons.
-We didnt feel that we maximized the lifestyle we were paying for. Meaning, it obviously is not cheap to live in Denver and we didnt do half the things most locals do for fun.

and then we had a few small personal reasons like going back to family etc. that played a part in our decision at the time .

I feel like I am missing something. I am not trolling, and I posted something similar to this when we were going to go to Atlanta earlier this year but decided not to. Got a lot of good responses. But also got roasted. lol.
If you don't care about the mountains or skiing - DFW is the place to be.

We moved from DFW to Denver last year, and find that in almost every sense, DFW wins, if it is not about outdoors - mountains, weather, skiing.

Old 08-16-2018, 01:23 PM

8,605 posts, read 14,888,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zephyrr View Post
If you don't care about the mountains or skiing - DFW is the place to be.

We moved from DFW to Denver last year, and find that in almost every sense, DFW wins, if it is not about outdoors - mountains, weather, skiing.
Also natural beauty (something DFW sorely lacks).

Old 08-17-2018, 06:47 PM

1,260 posts, read 1,103,007 times
If you're not concerned about cold weather, I would strongly consider MSP. The twin cites are educated and diverse (DFW - not as much). Consider it a small version of Chicago, only with more bang for your buck. The park systems and bike paths are probably the most foresighted in the country, but I may be a little biased. Anyway - check it out.
Good Luck.

Old 08-19-2018, 03:51 PM

1,849 posts, read 1,808,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Red Road View Post
If you're not concerned about cold weather, I would strongly consider MSP. The twin cites are educated and diverse (DFW - not as much). Consider it a small version of Chicago, only with more bang for your buck. The park systems and bike paths are probably the most foresighted in the country, but I may be a little biased. Anyway - check it out.
Good Luck.
Way too cold - only certain people want to do things like ice fishing or snowmobiling in the winter.

Old 08-19-2018, 05:21 PM

989 posts, read 2,441,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N610DL View Post
Way too cold - only certain people want to do things like ice fishing or snowmobiling in the winter.
Does MSP basically hunker down for 4-5 months in Winter the way DFW hunkers down for 4-5 months in Summer?

Old 08-19-2018, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
Does MSP basically hunker down for 4-5 months in Winter the way DFW hunkers down for 4-5 months in Summer?
No. They bundle up and do things like ice fishing, riding snowmobiles, and playing pond hockey. Even though both suck, it's far easier to dress for wicked cold than ridiculous heat and humidity.

Old 08-20-2018, 09:47 AM

1,849 posts, read 1,808,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
It's closer to half the year in MSP versus 3-4 in DFW. Some people don't mind the heat and I would say more people don't want to live in blistering cold conditions.

Old 08-20-2018, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N610DL View Post
It's closer to half the year in MSP versus 3-4 in DFW. Some people don't mind the heat and I would say more people don't want to live in blistering cold conditions.
If people don't mind the heat then why were places like DFW and Houston inconsequential map dots prior to the invention of AC?

EDIT: I'm not totally disagreeing with you, just pointing out a lot of the revisionism with regard to the growth of Sunbelt cities (primarily in the southeast). Without AC many of those places wouldn't be on anybody's short list because the summers are so wretched.

Last edited by bluescreen73; 08-20-2018 at 10:21 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver