U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2018, 03:58 AM

718 posts, read 720,783 times

Advertisements

We lived in Denver 2015-2016 and liked it overall. we didnt have and huge complaints, but felt it was overrated. We are not avid skiers/mountain people. We do enjoy hiking and biking. It was always more hassle to get all loaded up and get out to thee mountains than it was worth to us so we just stayed around town most of the time. We have moved around a lot in our past and are currently in Tampa Florida and could not be more unhappy. We hate the never changing climate, the people are rude, driers are the worst (yep the worst) and I could go on why it doesnt fit our lifestyle but to keep it short, we are on the move. Either back to DFW or Denver. Jobs lined up in both places and set to move in a couple of months. We are having hard time deciding between the two, but I am not asking to compare the two at all... plenty of forums on that. My hang up is this:

We really did appreciate the people, QOL, activities, amenities, jobs, economy, etc in Denver when we were there. We left simply to go back to family. Denver at the time was not our favorite, but as we grow a couple of years older we become a little wiser and our interests change slightly. We know it is a good area and what it has to offer and what the negatives are for us. My question is more to the people who either moved there recently from DFW areas, or to others who, like us, may not be into the mountain play activities.

Do you feel that Denver offers a quality of life comparable to other cities like DFW, Minneapolis, Charlotte, Phoenix, etc? Not in comparison to weather so please dont remind me that Phoenix is so hot and Minneapolis is so cold.... I get that. But in regards to culture, arts, outdoor fun, festivals, farmers markets, gatherings, concerts/music scene, etc.

Is Denver enjoyable to live in or is it getting stressful for the M-F work grind?

Has the fact that several other states have legalized Marijuana affected the influx of people?

(one thing i didnt care for was all the marijuana exposure. i have two teenage sons and dint want them to fall into bad habits becoming exposed to it easily)

It appears that housing prices have stabilized and is lasting longer. Even more inventory that there used to be. True?

What your major concerns in the metro now days>

Here is a short list of why we decided to leave but can find a way to overcome now::
Homeless. Seemed like downtown was saturated.
-The feared bubble in the housing market. We got out and did well.
-The exposure to marijuana to our sons.
-We didnt feel that we maximized the lifestyle we were paying for. Meaning, it obviously is not cheap to live in Denver and we didnt do half the things most locals do for fun.

and then we had a few small personal reasons like going back to family etc. that played a part in our decision at the time .

I feel like I am missing something. I am not trolling, and I posted something similar to this when we were going to go to Atlanta earlier this year but decided not to. Got a lot of good responses. But also got roasted. lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2018, 04:29 AM

6,941 posts, read 12,405,481 times
I don't really have anything to offer on Denver as a place to live. I have never lived there. I do know it's become overcrowded and expensive. The pot business I'm sure contributed to an influx of people.
I just wanted to say I know where your coming from. I agree Tampa and Fla isn't for everyone. Its a shame it could be so much more, but doesn't seem to care. The drivers and behavior of many here is downright offensive. I don't care where they hail from, its a turnoff. The summers have become as crowded as the winters. Obviously a huge influx of people has recently come into Central Fla.

I will say if you did not care for Denver enough to stay. In all probability those feelings are sure to return. In many ways I think it has come to the sad realization. There is really no place to move to in America anymore. Unless one is so well off, they can find some private buffer zone.

I wish you the best of luck.

Old 08-12-2018, 05:06 AM

718 posts, read 720,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I don't really have anything to offer on Denver as a place to live. I have never lived there. I do know it's become overcrowded and expensive. The pot business I'm sure contributed to an influx of people.
I just wanted to say I know where your coming from. I agree Tampa and Fla isn't for everyone. Its a shame it could be so much more, but doesn't seem to care. The drivers and behavior of many here is downright offensive. I don't care where they hail from, its a turnoff. The summers have become as crowded as the winters. Obviously a huge influx of people has recently come into Central Fla.

I will say if you did not care for Denver enough to stay. In all probability those feelings are sure to return. In many ways I think it has come to the sad realization. There is really no place to move to in America anymore. Unless one is so well off, they can find some private buffer zone.

I wish you the best of luck.

I appreciate that. Your comments about Fla. are spot on. It is just hard to even enjoy ourselves here anymore. If it isnt the terrible drives and traffic that Florida doesnt seem to want to address in any improvements, it it the constant upkeep of outside maintenance, the rising taxes, The miserable rain everyday, the overcrowded beaches and amusement attractions. etc. We wont even go to Clearwater beach anymore because the traffic going in and out causes so much delay and the parking situation is just plain stupid and expensive for an all day affair. We do not go to theme parks anymore because you can spend $115 per ticket and stay from 9a-10p and still may only get on 5-6 rides if you are lucky now days. the lines are sooooo bad and the fast passes are so limited. We chose not to move to Orlando specifically because of the tourist and crowds. Only to Find out that Tampa is in fact just as bad.

So I am hoping that some people can just open my eyes and maybe give me a new perspective on what I may or may not be considering in Denver. We are really quite laid back people. Very simple really. Not simple as in we country bumpkin simple. Simple like we cn get as much enjoyment hitting up small town fairs and festivals, brewery tours, bike rides, walks, movies in the park, food truck days, etc. In Denver last time we had a lot of fun just joining a bowling league, going to sporting events, movies, farmers markets, flea markets, fairs/Renaissance , tours, pikes peak, Bishops Castle, out to the small mountain towns just to shop and have lunch etc.

We are in our late 30s but probably at a mid 40s maturity level and experience. We have been around, educated, lived all over, raised kids, and experienced things that most people our age have not had the pleasure to. Not to talk ourselves up, but to give you an idea of who we are. We have lived in every climate, we have lived in some of the most diverse places. We enjoy all cultures and have made some fantastic memories and friends with people from other parts of the world. We are friendly, open minded and judgement free. We like to try anything at least once sort to speak.

Old 08-12-2018, 07:39 AM

7 posts, read 6,482 times
I doubt many people have lived in all those places you have asked for a comparable QOL to compare to. I will say it is a bit easier to generalize Bible Belt cities and having lived in Tampa and spent considerable time in Charlotte that it is significantly better here in Denver than there.

Donít underestimate the role oppressive humidity plays into your QOL. I can be out with the family the entire day or weekend even and enjoy the entirety of it without ever getting uncomfortable or heat driven rage against the maddening traffic or other crazy people you share spaces with.

But what I donít get is youíve lived in Denver and while that short period may not have shown you all you needed to know about being here just understand the grass isnít always greener somewhere else and you have a leg up on many other people considering moving here. Also obviously if you generally are he type to find a problem with something you will find it no matter where you go. There are no utopias, just personal preferences and life experiences to give you frames of reference.

Old 08-12-2018, 07:51 AM

3,444 posts, read 1,687,929 times
Quote:
If you don't ski.... and don't care about mountains.... do you even suggest Denver?
We came to Denver in spite of the winter-sport culture. I like the mountains fine, and we do a lot of road trips, but our hikes are usually short and on level ground. It's not all about the mountains, we also like the plains and the general feel of being in the West.
Quote:
Do you feel that Denver offers a quality of life comparable to other cities like DFW, Minneapolis, Charlotte, Phoenix, etc? Not in comparison to weather so please dont remind me that Phoenix is so hot and Minneapolis is so cold.... I get that. But in regards to culture, arts, outdoor fun, festivals, farmers markets, gatherings, concerts/music scene, etc.
We love the easy access to cultural activities and are at some theatrical production almost every weekend, whether it's at the Performing Arts Center or the Aurora Fox, or one of the many black box theaters. We're at DU a lot for sports, dance, or concerts, and have become supporters of its ice hockey, gymnastics and lacrosse teams. We moved from a city where there were no restaurants within walking distance of it's performing arts center and it wasn't safe to walk anywhere except to cross the street to the parking garage. Having some place like Larimer Square close by for pre-theater meals is like a dream.

Quote:
What your major concerns in the metro now days>
Unwillingness to spend money on needed infrastructure improvements and properly fund schools, super distracted drivers, aggressive driving, overbuilding.

Old 08-12-2018, 10:18 AM

1,735 posts, read 1,924,457 times
"Unwillingness to spend money on needed infrastructure improvements and properly fund schools..."

This is precisely the downside of many areas. While some people will tout certain places as low-tax heaven, we all "pay for" it in poor quality of life. Civilization costs.

O.P., I wonder if you would be open to West Michigan. You say you enjoy hiking and biking; you would love it here. Come visit and see what you think. Four distinct seasons, and bike trails galore. You never have to utter the word "ski" and no one will think the less of you.

Old 08-12-2018, 10:43 AM

20,811 posts, read 38,977,896 times
During my 12+ years on this site, focused on COLO, we've had many people who moved from DFW to the Denver area and said they loved it in Denver and they'd never go back to DFW.

IMO the Denver area offers so much more than DFW. When we visited DFW a couple years ago to see the Texas State Fair we were blown away by the awful drivers, accidents all over the place, dualie pickup trucks doing 90 or 100 MPH on the freeways, just a madhouse.

DFW has awful humidity and lots of heat.

Denver, in a heartbeat, hands down, no brainer, don't think twice.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 08-12-2018, 12:09 PM

6,509 posts, read 10,151,127 times
IIRC you spent a fair amount of energy in the past downgrading Denver. The snow didn't melt quickly enough, winters were too cold, pot was too prevalent, getting into the mountains was too much of a hassle, the roads weren't good enough, it was too expensive, etc. etc. etc. Unless you've had some sort of life epiphany, those things will probably still grate on you.

I've lived in DFW. There's nothing (and I truly mean nothing) that could ever convince me to move back there. June-September is hideous, the scenery sucks, the sprawl is ridiculous, and after all that there's the nauseatingly excessive state pride and the imbalanced, wackadoodle state politics factors to deal with.

The only outdoor recreation category where DFW beats Denver is lakes, but I wouldn't swim in any of them. The water's disgusting, and the boaters are by and large reckless, drunken idiots.

Is it hard to get into the mountains? Not really, but then again I know when to hit the road to avoid traffic. I also don't go to the trails everyone recommends because, wait for it, everyone will be there. I climb 13ers more than 14ers. I try to go hiking early in the morning and/or during the week instead of on the weekends. I don't even have to go into the mountains to find better hiking than there is around DFW. Castlewood Canyon, Spruce Mountain Open Space, Lincoln Mountain Open Space, and Hidden Mesa Open Space blow away pretty much everything the Metroplex has to offer - and those places are nothing spectacular by our standards.

I'll gladly deal with snow if it means not having to spend another summer in a crappy, humid climate. I like being able to leave my windows open at night and not having to breathe stale HVAC air for months on end.

Overall QOL? For me it's Denver, no contest. Denver has vastly better public transportation, a better urban core, a nicer downtown than Dallas, and a much more active and healthier populace. DFW, OTOH, has all the banal, run-of-the-mill garbage (malls, chain restaurants, museums) in spades. If that's all you care about then you'll be better off there because it's cheaper.

Old 08-12-2018, 12:39 PM

13,920 posts, read 20,110,014 times
Default Really works for us

It appears that housing prices have stabilized and is lasting longer. Even more inventory that there used to be. True?
Technically true about inventory for greater Denver, but not practically so. See http://www.city-data.com/forum/52689504-post366.html
House prices are 20% higher than when you left.
The population of the USA is growing. The population of Denver, greater Denver and Colorado is growing. Not enough houses are being constructed for various reasons.

Is Denver enjoyable to live in...?
For us, yes.
1. We live in a City & County of Denver neighborhood and have 41 restaurants within 6 blocks of our house. Our WalkScore is 90 and at this stage in our life is very important to our standard of living.
2. The City provides excellent services. Streets are swept monthly and trash is picked up every week. Recycling (single stream) is free.
3. Medical care (in our case, Kaiser) is very good and close by.
4. The population (that I interact with) is liberal and welcoming.
5. We like all of our nearby neighbors. We all sit on our front patio many nights and just chat.
6. Property taxes are reasonable (cf. Texas for the opposite) and the income is quite low for us.

Has the fact that several other states have legalized Marijuana affected the influx of people?
No, because the vast majority were coming here for other reasons.

What your major concerns in the metro now days?
1. TABOR - has been a disaster and I do not see it being repealed.
2. Still too many GOPers of the Tom Tancredo persuasion.
3. A complete blindness to the fact that autonomous vehicles will change everything. In my opinion, we are only 42 years away from human driving being outlawed.

I moved here from a Boston suburb 37 years ago. You could never get me to go back. The weather and the traffic were/are really horrible. I intend to die here.

Last edited by davebarnes; 08-12-2018 at 02:00 PM..

Old 08-12-2018, 01:10 PM

86,810 posts, read 102,103,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorges View Post
We came to Denver in spite of the winter-sport culture. I like the mountains fine, and we do a lot of road trips, but our hikes are usually short and on level ground. It's not all about the mountains, we also like the plains and the general feel of being in the West.

We love the easy access to cultural activities and are at some theatrical production almost every weekend, whether it's at the Performing Arts Center or the Aurora Fox, or one of the many black box theaters. We're at DU a lot for sports, dance, or concerts, and have become supporters of its ice hockey, gymnastics and lacrosse teams. We moved from a city where there were no restaurants within walking distance of it's performing arts center and it wasn't safe to walk anywhere except to cross the street to the parking garage. Having some place like Larimer Square close by for pre-theater meals is like a dream.

Unwillingness to spend money on needed infrastructure improvements and properly fund schools, super distracted drivers, aggressive driving, overbuilding.
My kids did gymnastics through high school and we love DU gymnastics. We still go to a meet every year and our youngest graduated HS and stopped gymnastics in 2005, actually the fall of 2004.

As far as school funding, yes, that's been a perennial issue here. One of my kids went to college in MN, which is supposedly the best, best, BEST in education (and everything else to hear them tell it) and she felt well prepared, did well there, graduated something c*u*m laude (I can't really remember what).

Are you aware that Initiative 93 (now called Amendment 73) will be on the ballot in November? The purpose is increased school funding.
https://www.denverpost.com/2018/08/0...lorado-ballot/

"super distracted drivers"-here and everywhere else
"agressive driving"-ditto
"overbuilding"-can you give an example?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or