U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2018, 07:58 AM

87,016 posts, read 102,663,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
You have to beleive the numbers you see on paper because home sales are publicly recorded transactions.

In any case, buying a home in Denver is still much more expensive. I want to make sure if that figures in to your calculations that you are prepared. There are practically zero single family homes in Denver for $212,000. Like zero. 5,000 square feet of dirt a few doors down from me just sold for $870,000.

As for your rental budget, I think you’re fine. Look in Denver West (Golden) and Arvada.
I'm going to play a bit of "devil's advocate". I agree with the bolds. However, a long time ago in the scheme of things (~30 years ago) a friend moved from Boulder to Midland, Michigan. She said that while the median price of homes in Midland was far lower than Boulder, among houses you'd actually want to live in, the prices came closer together. In fact she said, at the time (remember 30 years ago) the prices in Midland and Boulder were close for comparable housing. It's the same in my hometown of Pittsburgh. Since housing prices have shot up so much here, it's way more expensive than the Pittsburgh area. But, for something you'd want to live in, still a differential, but not as wide.
https://www.zillow.com/pittsburgh-pa...hoCcqcQAvD_BwE

Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
I appreciate your post NW Crow.. I have a friend who now lives in Missouri who was born and grew up in Colorado and Wyoming. He gave me a lot of suggestions, although he hasn't lived there in a while. He was really trying to push Fort Collins on me and seemed to enjoy it. However, Ft. Collins would be far from the software jobs in Denver, if I needed work. He tells me Ft. Collins has its own little IT industry, but not sure how much opportunity is there. As well, I figure being a single 40 year old professional I may find myself not really a fit for the demographics in a place like Ft. Collins. In the Pacific Northwest, where I am from, it seems like small towns are either rich yuppies who are married and a college age crowd who are mostly tend to hang out among themselves. Many of these people are in the service industry. Nothing wrong with that either, but it's hard to establish friendships.

I figure being a larger city like Denver I will have variety of demographics of people and age groups. I have no problem commuting to a more exciting place for socializing, nightlife , etc. Usually, I don't like living around the excitement , but would prefer peace and quiet, but I don't mind being within driving distance to it. I am not a heavy drinker any more , so the need of getting plastered and ubering or walking home is not a big deal for me. I like that being a bit farther forces me to stay more sober for fear of DUI. I'm too old and have too many years of boozing and partying behind me to want to engage in a wild party life anymore.

However, I do like socializing and meeting people and finding places of like minded people who enjoy activities that cater for single, professional types would be desirable.

My friend told me most of the suburbs are pretty decent to live. He said you will know the bad areas. He seem to have a deep fear about Denver the city limits and said the city is infested with crime.. Not sure if I can take him on face value there. I never heard Denver to be super safe, but I never heard it was super crime-ridden, although I know it has crime. I have no desire to live within the city limits.

I am looking at places like Longmont, Broomfield, Thornton, Arvada, Wheat Ridge, Westminster, etc. Trying to aim for the west side of the Denver metro or a bit further northwest or south. He told me Castle Rock was a great place, but its very expensive. Castle Rock does look appealing by its location.
I'm not sure either how much opportunity there is in Ft. Collins. IT is my husband's field, and his jobs were all in metro Denver/Boulder. When we first came here, we wanted to live in the Ft. Collins/Loveland area, but nothing materialized. OTOH, a guy I knew got laid off of several jobs in the metro area and finally found another one in Loveland. Even from the Gunbarrel area, that was a long drive every day for him. My daughter lived in Castle Rock in a nice rental house that was quite reasonable. I never got the idea that CR was super expensive, though it does have its expensive areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2018, 12:48 PM

14,046 posts, read 20,382,028 times
Quote:
He seem to have a deep fear about Denver the city limits and said the city is infested with crime.
This is just silly.
I haven't worn my bullet-proof vest during daylight hours for over a year now.

Old 08-16-2018, 02:01 PM

21,189 posts, read 11,814,728 times
Quote:
My friend told me most of the suburbs are pretty decent to live. He said you will know the bad areas. He seem to have a deep fear about Denver the city limits and said the city is infested with crime.. Not sure if I can take him on face value there. I never heard Denver to be super safe, but I never heard it was super crime-ridden, although I know it has crime. I have no desire to live within the city limits.

I am looking at places like Longmont, Broomfield, Thornton, Arvada, Wheat Ridge, Westminster, etc. Trying to aim for the west side of the Denver metro or a bit further northwest or south. He told me Castle Rock was a great place, but its very expensive. Castle Rock does look appealing by its location.
Has your friend ever been to Denver? Not that you have to live in the city limits, but he clearly has absolutely no idea what he's talking about.

And Castle Rock is not anything particularly extraordinary. With far more traffic to get from there and back than I'd be willing to commute in on a daily basis.

Old 08-16-2018, 03:21 PM

3,300 posts, read 4,065,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Has your friend ever been to Denver? Not that you have to live in the city limits, but he clearly has absolutely no idea what he's talking about.

And Castle Rock is not anything particularly extraordinary. With far more traffic to get from there and back than I'd be willing to commute in on a daily basis.
My friend grew up in Denver as a kid, but left and moved to Wyoming. His wife did grow up in Denver, but moved to Ft. Collins area as I am told. He does come back to visit time to time, because of his wife's family. So, yeah, I am aware his view of the city could be a bit tainted.. He is a total country person and usually lives in rural areas, so I guess he was shocked to see the modern day Denver. I was taking what he said with a grain of salt.

Anyhow, I am not opposed to living in the city limits of Denver because of crime; however, there are some other reasons I cannot live in the city limits. I have firearms that violate Denver's "Assault Weapon Ban", so I don't think I am even legally allowed to live within the city limits to just be honest. So, I figure because of the this legal nuance I would be best living outside the city limits. I would figure the prices of living within the city of Denver are the highest anyway and I much rather live in a suburb a bit closer to the mountains as I originally specified. Sure, I was a gazillionaire and Denver did not have this AWB , I could consider living in the most prestigious areas of the city.

I just gave my slimy rental company there Lease Buy Out Fee.. I have only 27 days to find a new place to live. I am planning on driving out to Denver in a few days from North Carolina and staying at Air Bnbs. I will do everything in my power to find a place as fast as I can under $1600.

So, any suggestions of neighborhoods that fit my criteria are greatly appreciated. It appears Denver does have a lot of decent suburbs. I thought Castle Rock may be nice because of proximity to the mountains, but I cannot even find any rentals there in my price range..

I also am very noise sensitive, so I would like avoid living away from train tracks and busy roads. I'm a real country person and spent many years living in rural Oregon. Of course, as of now, I got this awful neighbor living in his mother's detached garage right near my bedroom who blasts his sound system. The cops and HOA don't do a dang thing. I know there is no guarantees, but the main thing I really want is peace, quiet and safety. I certainly don't need luxury. Being near the mountains would be a bonus.

The fact that I work from home means I am very flexible where I can live, but there is always the chance I may need to get a software job in Denver, so I cannot live way, way out in the boonies and rather have access to some social life for single professionals which doesn't really exist in the suburbs or wilderness.

Old 08-16-2018, 05:34 PM

3,927 posts, read 4,070,330 times
Saw this listing for a basic country place in Evergreen

https://denver.craigslist.org/apa/d/...662413403.html

I have no knowledge of any details; but if you wanted country but semi-near Denver, this might be worth checking. If you are sure you are ok with a bigger, longer snow season. Evergreen is about 2/3rds married adults.

Internet quality could knock this or any country place out.

Last edited by NW Crow; 08-16-2018 at 06:37 PM..

Old 08-16-2018, 07:22 PM

3,927 posts, read 4,070,330 times
If you go with an apartment, try to hang out near morning commute out or evening commute in to get some sense of neighbors before committing, especially the nearest ones. Knocking on doors and asking a few questions? Some might accept it, others may not.

Old 08-17-2018, 01:53 PM

3,085 posts, read 2,126,426 times
Quote:
Oh yes, Colorado Springs is out.. So , I know some will suggest it , but I am not interested to live there. I am a single guy and just don't want to live in another military town. I was living in Lacey ,WA near Fort Lewis before I moved to North Carolina a couple months ago. I know CO Springs is a much nicer town than seedy Lakewood or Ft Lewis area, but I still rather not be in a town with globs of single military men. Being non-military I also feel left out in the social circles of those environments. Colorado Springs really does look beautiful, but it is a place I would consider retiring not living during my active years and having a career. Denver or Ft Collins areas are where I would look. Boulder would be way too expensive and too liberal for a Libertarian person as myself as well.

I appreciate people's advice and suggestions.
FWIW, according to suburban stats 2010 census data, Co Spgs has a higher percentage of women to men than Denver. 51/49 in Co Sp compared to Denver at 50/50.

Active duty military is only 10% of the Co Spgs population of 416,000. When viewed against the county population of 700k, it is only 6% of the population. Compared that to the Olympia/Thurston county are you live din previously with a population of 252k, the 20,000 troops at Ft Lewis can have much bigger impact on that area. We also have a much higher percentage of specialized troops in all branches as well, so our median education level of military staff that is here is way above average.

Work, on the other hand, can be more challenging to find with fewer selections in Co Sprgs than Denver.

Old 08-17-2018, 04:00 PM

3,085 posts, read 2,126,426 times
Actually, after looking at it further, the joint base of Ft Lewis and McCord have more than 45,000 active duty personnel, just as many as are stationed in Co Spgs. They make up 20% of the population of the entire Olympia MSA. The base alone is almost as large as just the city of Olympia. Wow, talk about a lot of dudes.

Old 08-18-2018, 10:41 AM

3,300 posts, read 4,065,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
Saw this listing for a basic country place in Evergreen

https://denver.craigslist.org/apa/d/...662413403.html

I have no knowledge of any details; but if you wanted country but semi-near Denver, this might be worth checking. If you are sure you are ok with a bigger, longer snow season. Evergreen is about 2/3rds married adults.

Internet quality could knock this or any country place out.
Thanks for that link, NW Crow ... Wow, that would be so much the ideal .. I could only hope I could find a place in Evergreen. I actually found a few, but they seem to go pretty fast and some, as you mentioned, do not have great internet connections, which I require. I just booked my AirBnb room and hotels and I will be in Denver next week to find a place one way or another. Denver, here I come.. Ugh.. Wish I would have just moved to Denver from Seattle and life would have been so much better. The only reason I ended up picking Charlotte was because I was under the false impression it was so much cheaper and everyone told me so. It was an unpleasant surprise when I discovered that desirable areas of Charlotte or actually just as expensive, if not more, than Denver.

Anyway, the past is the past.. I fell in love with the Rocky Mountains driving through them and the beauty was much more than I could have ever imagined. I grew up in the Pacific Northwest in some of the most beautiful parts of Oregon and Washington. Colorado still amazes me and I haven't even seen the most beautiful parts. I have always dreamed of seeing the San Juan mountains and I will make it my duty to visit those as soon as I can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHP View Post
Actually, after looking at it further, the joint base of Ft Lewis and McCord have more than 45,000 active duty personnel, just as many as are stationed in Co Spgs. They make up 20% of the population of the entire Olympia MSA. The base alone is almost as large as just the city of Olympia. Wow, talk about a lot of dudes.
Hahha. Yup, TCHP, now you can see I wasn't exaggerating when I said the South Puget Sound is a total dude fest. Sausage City Go to Doyle's in Tacoma on a Saturday to feel the surge of testosterone. Boise, ID also is also a huge sausage fest. I seriously got the feeling that in these areas, most of the "good" girls there were expected to be at home with children. Why is it always bros, bros and more bros out? TO unquote, Cyndi Lauper, "Girl's dont want to have fun?" To make matters worse, Seattle has the largest male population of any major city, because it attracts so many IT/Blue-Collar workers and the male-dominated industries, such as Amazon, Microsoft, Google, Facebook (yes, Google/FB no have huge presence in Seattle), Boeing, etc, etc. Walking around Seattle you will see large hordes of men everywhere . It is Man City. That is what shocked me about coming to Charlotte was you actually saw groups of girls walking around. The only reason Seattle has as high of a female population as it does is because of the aging female population. Seattle use to be a blue-collar city where men didn't have healthy, long lives and died before their female counterparts. If you look at the 20-40 age group, Seattle is heavily male and then add to that Ft. Lewis which has a huge active military population.

I know Denver is called "Menver" and I am sure it is not the female paradise the Southeast is. Although, Charlotte, seems more of a paradise for 20 somethings, than single professionals, as people seem "married" here too at high numbers compared to Seattle or Portland proper. However, I just want to avoid being in a town where there literally is no women at all, which seem to fit most of the South Sound. People also marry young there. Outside of Seattle and immediate suburbs (Kirkland, Lynnwood, Bellevue) everyone is married and everything is sprawled suburbia. There is not much to do for a single person. I'm sure Denver's suburbs (esp outer suburbs) are like that too, though.

Old 08-18-2018, 04:46 PM

6,964 posts, read 6,573,338 times
I just keep reading the “Charlotte is as, if not more, expensive than Denver in desirable areas” and can’t help but think you’re setting yourself up for disappointment. Eastover is cheaper than Country Club. Dilworth is cheaper than Wash Park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or