U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2018, 03:42 PM

361 posts, read 492,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Fair enough, but that's a big problem in a lot of places, not just Denver.
Completely agree...I can't think of any other major metropolitan areas that have had, in a single summer, multiple hail storms severe enough to total cars and require major roof repair. I have NEVER heard of a hail storm causing such extensive damages so as to close a 1,100,000 sq. foot mall for 6 months and overall cause 1.4 BILLION dollars in damage.

Here's the reality, and the science of it: https://www.9news.com/article/weathe...y/73-579168850

Hail in Colorado means higher auto and homeowner's insurance (roof damage), no doubt about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2018, 06:20 PM

83 posts, read 38,087 times
Thanks to all who replied - didn't think I'd get so many responses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Thatís fascinating that a state issued ID isnít as good as driverís license. I suppose I understand the lease vs ownership.
They don't mention state ID as a connection, so I am assuming. They mention registration and license separately. I was planning on leasing to minimize financing costs (because student debt). There is a form where vehicle ownership and registration are the same question, but on the website they seem to be separate items. So I am not sure if a leased vehicle even qualifies, but at least I'd have the license.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Re: Colorado residency-I have some experience with those forms, filling them out for one kid undergrad and helping the ones in grad school. I've heard "stories" from my DDs. It's true if you have a car, you need to have it registered here and have a CO driver's license. I recall a story about someone getting turned down b/c they had an out of state DL, even though the car was registered here. I don't know what the deal is if you don't have a car. You have to pay taxes here, too, stuff like that. You'd do well to talk to someone at the school.
Thanks for the info. Yes, they list DL and registration as separate "connections". If you have any such connections with another state, it counts against you. I wasn't sure how the taxes work, because I thought I'd still have to pay taxes to NY since I worked there? Or does it automatically become taxable in CO after living here long enough?

For the first year, I was offered a scholarship that provides in-state tuition rates. After that, if I don't establish residency my tuition goes up. That's why I'm so hell-bent on doing it, haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
The main difference for me, and this is kind of hard to explain, though maybe some other NYC metro area transplants will get it, is that driving here is not as much work as driving there.
-snip-
And yes, green chiles are a thing here, And that's with an "e" not an "i". The "i" designates the dish that may or may not be made with them, not the fruit itself.
They'll be roasting them pretty soon at Nick's Garden Center on Chambers Rd. in Aurora, always a great couple of weekends.
Yeah, I get what you mean about the work. You kind of have to constantly be "on" driving in NY, thinking about every little detail, that's something I struggled with. I get drained by it pretty quickly.

I also like that instructors can administer the road tests here....the NYC DMV examiners can be pretty intimidating and nitpicky.

Ha, I was going back and forth on the spelling! Spell check was telling me both were wrong, so I just went with the one that didn't look like a country

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
-snip-
esp. if you start off driving in more suburban, less heavily trafficked areas. You can wait until you are more comfortable before you drive downtown, or on I25 during rush hour, etc.
I'm getting some behind the wheel training lined up with KGI Driving, near the Denver Northeast DMV. I heard it's pretty residential there, but haven't been yet. Apparently, I need to retake the written test too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or