U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2018, 01:26 AM

83 posts, read 37,560 times

Advertisements

I am going to be starting grad school at CU Anschutz in a few weeks, and just moved to the area this past weekend. Grew up in NYC, never liked it much (double the national COL index for what?) Did undergrad about 60 miles out from there in the suburbs. That was better but still pretty meh, and too much influence from the city. I've posted on here before when I was looking at schools and considering moving back to CO (I lived here before for undergrad but transferred for various reasons, primarily financial, though I was pretty miserable about having to leave). I am wondering what to expect, anything that might surprise me given what I'm about to describe.

From what I've seen of Colorado (1 year+), it is a better fit for me. It's been almost 10 years though since I was last here, so I am still trying to get a sense of what has changed. Overall, the people here have always seemed more, uh, real (not comparing in a Silicon Valley plastic way, but a psychological, ego way). I've always had a bit of an inferiority complex where I'm not "worthy" of being here, because I feel like my upbringing will corrupt it somehow. Basically, people seem happier here and I don't want to ruin that - or how I interact with other people - with the cynicism I've developed over the years from being miserable where I live. haha. I know that's not really the stereotypical mentality of someone coming here from NYC, aside from the cynicism...but that's kinda the point.

The two main things I'd like to know about are driving and work culture. Just curious what the job market is like, if it's hard to find work, how competitive it is, work/life balance, etc.

I failed the NY road test twice, essentially because driving in high traffic with wackadoos (which is unavoidable), scares me and I turn into a deer in the headlights. Got 5 votes so far of "just do it Colorado", including from a driving instructor - is it really that much easier? Part of the reason I am making this thread though, is because not being licensed has somewhat limited how much of Colorado (and even Denver itself) I've actually been exposed to. So I don't know if my impression is the most accurate, even for 10 years ago. But I'm tired of relying on public transportation, and a car and license could help me get in-state tuition rates if I try to establish residency.

Any other random weird or quirky stuff anyone can think of would be cool. I hear there's a thing about ordering stuff with green chilis.

TL;DR - born and raised in NYC, but total misfit with the culture. Lived in Denver for about a year, loved it. But that was 10 years ago and I wasn't driving. I stuck around the same few neighborhoods most of the time, except to visit friends in other parts of the state. What should I expect now (please don't say the obvious, higher housing costs and more pot)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2018, 07:49 AM

6,902 posts, read 6,494,653 times
It sounds like maybe a psychologist and not a driving instructor might be what you need to get over the hump of driving. That said, there is nothing about having a car and license that will help you get residency more than a lease and a state issued ID wouldn’t take care of.

Green chiles

are used to make green chili.

That’s what we smother things in.

Old 08-15-2018, 09:05 AM

86,876 posts, read 102,269,915 times
What type of job are you looking for, if you're going to be in grad school? What are you going to be studying? When my DD was in the physical therapy program at Anschutz, they recommended the students not work. The other DD did public health part time and did work, also part time.

Driving can be H*ll here; I won't sugar coat it. The Anschutz area is near some heavy-use freeway roads. Public transport is pretty good; you may want to hold off on a car for a while. You can get a state ID at the DMV which may serve the same purpose as a driver's license for in-state tuition.

Old 08-15-2018, 09:09 AM

6,522 posts, read 10,191,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
You can get a state ID at the DMV which may serve the same purpose as a driver's license for in-state tuition.
On this note - don't just walk into your nearby DMV and assume you can get a license. Many of them require appointments.

Old 08-15-2018, 10:02 AM

20,950 posts, read 11,615,689 times
What area of Aurora are you going to be living? Some parts are more urban, with good access to enough public transportation to make daily life fairly easy, but other areas are isolated enough that it will be tough to get by without being able to drive.

And in general, I do think you miss out a lot of what Colorado has to offer when you can't drive. You don't necessarily have to own a car, there are short term rentals or even good deals with traditional rental companies, where you can get out and explore more when you have time.

As for the job market and work conditions, it really depends on what your specific field is although healthcare overall is a good field for job hunters

Old 08-15-2018, 10:10 AM

21 posts, read 9,199 times
Though Denver traffic has gotten worse over the years, I think you'll find it's nowhere near as intense of a cutthroat driving environment you'd find in cities like New York or Chicago. While there's a good deal of congestion on the roadways during peak hours, drivers are generally much more courteous and less aggressive than where you're from.

Folks here will claim traffic is the WORST, and it is for some - but only in comparison to what it was like before. However, when compared to what you may be used to, I think you will find it significantly less intimidating.

In regards to jobs, you can expect low skill/low pay jobs to be very plentiful - if that's what you're looking for right now, then you should have no trouble landing one quickly. There's also an unusually high number of openings for higher skill/higher pay positions at the moment, however, these are not as easy to land. Despite the shortage of skilled professionals, you still need to have the skills and experience to land a higher end position, naturally.

Old 08-15-2018, 10:17 AM

50 posts, read 42,135 times
i moved from NYC 2 years ago to Lakewood and I love it. The thing I hated most about NYC was getting to work and relying on public transportation. I have not stepped on a train since moving. I would highly recommend getting a license and a car.

Old 08-15-2018, 10:48 AM

1,787 posts, read 1,125,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaHitsAWall View Post
I am going to be starting grad school at CU Anschutz in a few weeks, and just moved to the area this past weekend. Grew up in NYC, never liked it much (double the national COL index for what?) Did undergrad about 60 miles out from there in the suburbs. That was better but still pretty meh, and too much influence from the city. I've posted on here before when I was looking at schools and considering moving back to CO (I lived here before for undergrad but transferred for various reasons, primarily financial, though I was pretty miserable about having to leave). I am wondering what to expect, anything that might surprise me given what I'm about to describe.

TL;DR - born and raised in NYC, but total misfit with the culture. Lived in Denver for about a year, loved it. But that was 10 years ago and I wasn't driving. I stuck around the same few neighborhoods most of the time, except to visit friends in other parts of the state. What should I expect now (please don't say the obvious, higher housing costs and more pot)?
Interesting post. I personally grew up in the NYC area in Northern NJ and didn't fit there either back in say high school or when I worked in Manhattan in my early/mid 20s.

I always have said that if I were to go to grad school in Colorado when I was 25-26 something like that I would've liked it a lot better than moving there from Los Angeles when I was 28 instead. The Silicon Beach consulting scene made me way too straightforward and realistic to ever stay long term in Denver. In school had I gone the graduate degree route? That would've been awesome.

I know it's hard to say but you kind of know when you click or not click with a place. I had my doubts before moving to Denver from L.A. and over time living in DEN things just started to annoy me in the oddest ways. L.A. people just get me, in NYC somewhat (I just don't like living out there), Denver not so much.

For grad school it's totally worth it to give it a shot and if you hate it you can transfer somewhere more familiar. Recall people go to Grad school for the experience and the pedigree of the program and not so much the city itself.

Old 08-16-2018, 12:39 AM

83 posts, read 37,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
It sounds like maybe a psychologist and not a driving instructor might be what you need to get over the hump of driving.
Already seeing one of those. Well, gotta find one out here. I have chronic anxiety issues.
Drivers seem more relaxed here and less aggressive. Despite the speed limit often being twice as high.

Quote:
That said, there is nothing about having a car and license that will help you get residency more than a lease and a state issued ID wouldn’t take care of.
The school says a lease is inadequate for tuition purposes (well, the law says, the schools' website is interpreting that).

You need specific "connections" to the state, and more than one. They specifically list license, vehicle ownership/registration, voter registration, property ownership... I'm probably missing a few others.

Quote:
Green chiles

are used to make green chili.

That’s what we smother things in.
Awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
What type of job are you looking for, if you're going to be in grad school? What are you going to be studying? When my DD was in the physical therapy program at Anschutz, they recommended the students not work. The other DD did public health part time and did work, also part time.

Driving can be H*ll here; I won't sugar coat it. The Anschutz area is near some heavy-use freeway roads. Public transport is pretty good; you may want to hold off on a car for a while. You can get a state ID at the DMV which may serve the same purpose as a driver's license for in-state tuition.
Public health with a concentration in biostatistics. So... ultimately, biostatistician or a research analyst type of job. Right now, I'm just looking for any work I can get on campus haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
What area of Aurora are you going to be living?
I'm right by the campus, south of Colfax, about a half mile. So basically surrounded by main roads and the interstate, but not much in the immediate area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cfella View Post
i moved from NYC 2 years ago to Lakewood and I love it. The thing I hated most about NYC was getting to work and relying on public transportation. I have not stepped on a train since moving. I would highly recommend getting a license and a car.
Yes, exactly, the transportation to work just makes me want to live in a hole all day and do nothing instead. lol to be fair, the lightrail isn't that unpleasant. But getting around by car here is simply easier and quicker, unlike NYC.

I actually had a neighbor in NY that said she used to live in Littleton, and in my head I was like "....so why are you here?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by N610DL View Post
Recall people go to Grad school for the experience and the pedigree of the program and not so much the city itself.
Ha, at the accepted students day they literally said, "'Because it's Colorado' is a valid reason to come here", after a current student alluded to that being a main reason for their decision. I thought it was more honest than a lot of schools would be. Like, you'd expect them to talk up the program and not be all "or you can just come here because of where it's located". I expressed this in an interview on campus yesterday to the effect that they had more authentic "marketing" of the school and I didn't feel like they were trying to sell me some phony image (when I was asked how I'd represent the school). I can't tell how it went over. The interviewer said "I'll have to relay that message to our marketing team".

Last edited by NinjaHitsAWall; 08-16-2018 at 12:58 AM..

Old 08-16-2018, 06:21 AM

1,561 posts, read 2,816,747 times
Your Metrocard won't work here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or