Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 11:35 AM

15 posts, read 20,085 times

Advertisements

I know I am new to the board as of yesterday! But, I have read TONS of posts by doing searches and just going back, and sometimes people come across as SUPER snobby? Is this a common attitude or is it just a few. I am sure this happens everywhere, but I just know I don't care about things like that.

I come from an older state and DH from an older state still and we like places with history and character and warmth not that there is anything wrong with new, but where is the character?? I just hope that we can find some place that has these things where people won't "make fun of us" for having a home with an old tree or something ridiculous.

Has anyone else noticed this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2012, 11:41 AM

26,212 posts, read 49,031,855 times
Ignore any angry or snobby sounding stuff, especially on the internet, which is full of noise, cynics, wiseguys and ranters.

If you like something and it works for you, that's all that matters.

Use our forums to mine all sorts of info, we have an index of many key threads and our search tools are very good.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 07-25-2012, 12:13 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,469,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisFamB View Post
No

Old 07-25-2012, 12:38 PM

659 posts, read 1,014,501 times
We're all more important on the internet vs real life.

Old 07-25-2012, 12:45 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,999,886 times
Internet ninjas

Old 07-25-2012, 12:50 PM

659 posts, read 1,014,501 times
On the internet I have a 5 series BMW - Snob

In reality I really do have a 5 series BMW but it's a 95 - Lame.

Old 07-25-2012, 04:37 PM

15 posts, read 20,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ming Ming View Post
On the internet I have a 5 series BMW - Snob

In reality I really do have a 5 series BMW but it's a 95 - Lame.
LOL. I have an Edge. Woo.

Old 07-25-2012, 04:51 PM

3,082 posts, read 5,437,988 times
I don't think it's a Denver thing as much as it's an Internet thing. When people are anonymous, all rules that regulate people in the real world seem to go out the window. Of course, there are still plenty of friendly, helpful people to be found on the net.

Old 07-26-2012, 12:12 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,364,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisFamB View Post
I know I am new to the board as of yesterday! But, I have read TONS of posts by doing searches and just going back, and sometimes people come across as SUPER snobby? Is this a common attitude or is it just a few. I am sure this happens everywhere, but I just know I don't care about things like that.

I come from an older state and DH from an older state still and we like places with history and character and warmth not that there is anything wrong with new, but where is the character?? I just hope that we can find some place that has these things where people won't "make fun of us" for having a home with an old tree or something ridiculous.

Most Denver metro residents would die for an old-growth tree, since Denver is on the high plains. It would be very strange to be criticized for a mature tree, since they are very coveted.

Old 07-26-2012, 02:20 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,400,425 times
The Denver Region is large and variable as to characteristics of place and the attitudes of residence. There are places that are very new in construction with many newcomers to the state who tend to be younger and have less long term relationships in the area. There are places that are old and have the time that develops the characteristics of older building and etches more the attitudes of residents who have more of memory of time past; have the relationships with place and people that extend back into history.

I am originally from New York and I came here in the 1970s. I looked around and decided I wanted to live where there where more long term residents and natives. I wanted to see the meld of old and new--so I picked to live in Arvada, one of the older western suburbs. I got what I anticipated in people and buildings with the patina of time. In addition there are old growth trees, more water resources, varied terrain with more hills. The same could be said for many older areas of Denver and the suburbs where there are long term traditions of the old and the past, of having the time to establish itself in place and in memory.

There are more residents in these older established areas that are more comfortable in the skins of place and acceptance of their achievements in celebration with their long associates of neighbors, friends and acquaintances; not having the need of validation of what they are, or what they will become from others. There are more seniors, so they are beyond the game of competition and have not need to parade their weapons of the snob.

My siblings, who move at the same decade, went to Highlands Ranch, Lone Tree and Boulder with many, more transplants and some would say near the narcissistic nabobs of conspicuous conformity. Many more of these residents have more the voracious need to compete and find acceptance. Many have not had the time, or will take the time to establish the comfortable familiarity of place and people, whereby they can lay down their defensive arms of the snobs. They are on the ladder of success and need have that showoff snobbery to push others aside to compete.

Did they choose better? Perhaps or was was my choice the best? It really depends on what you desire and need to make yourself content. Know that there is much more to the area from whence you can choose, so look and see and find your own place.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 07-26-2012 at 02:57 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver