U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2018, 09:34 PM

166 posts, read 109,347 times

Advertisements

I'm mostly focused on how the climbing community is in each respective town.

I'm a 26 year old software developer currently in denver.

Ultimately, I want to pick a job to work for a year or so in either one of these towns, and then live there. Commute to work by bike, and climb outside after work

Maybe i'll like it, and buy a house in the foothills... I haven't truly decided.... Buying property in the future is a thought on my mind, so whichever town has affordable nearby options is something to consider.

These are my thoughts; please feel free to correct them or critique them if they don't seem true.

From what I've heard, it seems that there are a lot of outdoor enthusiasts in boulder.... too many. ones who base their whole entire ego's sense of worth on their outdoor accomplishments. I don't like that. I don't have time for inflated egos and smug attitudes.

But maybe that's just haters hating on boulder because it is an AMAZING spot with tons of trad climbing nearby (eldo, boulder canyon, lumpy ridge), with trees, and they are jealous.

Golden attracts me because there's a lightrail to the city, a less apperantly pretentious vibe, and still relatively close to climbing (Clear Creek canyon has some sport which is meh, but South Platte, devils head is nice!) Golden can also get my on a straight shot into i70 to winter park for some skiing

I think the actual job itself will be the driver here, but I was wondering if people had strong thoughts on the vibes of younger folk living in either town....

Easy to make friends, etc? What about the dive bars nearby? Can I casually strike up conversations???

it's the little things to think about here.....
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2018, 09:46 PM

51 posts, read 43,198 times
Check out some of the area meetup groups,e.g. Denver Social Climb, Boulder Rock Climbers and post your questions.

It sounds though like you know what you like
I think you'll find compatible climbing buds in both areas (I climb sometimes).

But for living, Golden will be less expensive. It has a small town feel that I like (but it is growing). It is also close enough to Boulder (45 minutes) should you get a job there.

All the best and happy climbing!

Old 08-21-2018, 10:19 PM

10,736 posts, read 8,616,101 times
Honestly you’ll be fine in either.

They’re both expensive with Boulder being more so.

I am mostly a gym climber having just started a couple years ago and with a family and very time consuming job. With that being said, there are a few pro climbers who come to the gym in Denver that I climb at, Movement. There is a great crew of 20 somethings there and I know they climb Clear Creek Canyon above Golden quite a bit.

I have heard that there are even more pro climbers at the Movement Boulder gym and the average skill level is higher there. I think that probably speaks to the number of badass climbers in Boulder. The gyms are obviously the best place to meet other climbers.

There is a nice gym called Earth Treks in Golden. I think that would be a great place to meet people to climb with if you end up living there.

There are dive bars in both towns. The brewery scene is great in each as well and people are very easy to talk to at the bars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver