Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2018, 12:16 AM

3,533 posts, read 5,831,396 times

Advertisements

I am considering bailing from Charlotte, North Carolina and relocating to the Denver metro area. Like so many others, I came here from the WEst Coast (Pacific Northwest to be exact) and really fell in love with the grandiose beauty of the Rocky mountains of Colorado. Of course, I know Denver is mostly a high plains city near the mountains and not a city in the mountains or at the base of mountains like Salt Lake City or Seattle. However, I am hoping I can find a place located as close proximity to the mountains as I can and yet not be too far from the city. I will be working 70+ hours/week studying software technology and working in a small software business, but I am hoping on that one or two free days I get in a week that I can go up in the mountains and do some hiking.. I might even be interested in camping again. Heck, I just turned 40 and think its time to learn how to snowboard I grew up right next to a large ski resort in Ashland, Oregon and all my friends snowboarded and I always felt I was missing out on the fun

I know Denver has serious traffic as I got stuck in a nasty traffic jam trying to leave the city on a weekday at 3PM. Yes, like Seattle and Portland, Denver's traffic is no joke at all. Of course, working from home the next year or two I will have some flexibility and would try to find the most remote areas I can for mountain hiking during weekdays.

I had a real miserable experience moving to Charlotte area and renting a place that was cheaper than I should have paid. Unlike Seattle and Portland, there are many areas that look very nice in Charlotte that are actually quite crime ridden and where law enforcement, HOAs, etc don't do a damn thing for you if you need help. It turns out my neighbor is a multiple convicted felon, who is now out on bail for a stolen firearm, meth, stolen goods among many other things and has a 15+ year rap sheet. Nobody seems to care around here, especially law enforcement and they just keep letting him out of jail. From the loud fights, violent episodes and blasting music, I cannot work , feel safe or sleep well. I'm hoping to find an area of the Denver metro (even greater metro) that I can afford in my price bracket. I would prefer a small apartment that is quiet to a mansion surrounded by meth junkies and criminals , as I learned.

I know there is never a guarantee, but I am just going to do my best to find the best place I can find. I just want a place that is quiet and away from the loud noise, partying , druggies, etc. I don't know Denver so well and heard some areas that are nice can be bordered by some nasty ones. I'm only going by word of mouth and would love for some people who know the area well or locals to chime in.

As far as my budget, I can really spend no more than $1600/mo , but would prefer to spend $1400 if I can.. I notice a lot of apartments include W/S/G in Denver, which was unheard of in Seattle. That would also increase the amount I could spend with all things being equal.

Some have suggested the Ft Collins area and I may be open to being somewhere in between Denver and Ft Collins. However, if my business ventures fail I will be forced to probably find software work within Denver, so being too far from the city center could be difficult.

Anyhow, I know I may be asking too much as I know Denver is not a cheap city. Ironically, Charlotte's prices are skyrocketing so fast that from what I see Charlotte is now becoming even more expensive than Denver and North Carolina has higher taxes overall. The car tax will be the biggest hit for me with Colorado and I am still trying to figure it out.

I am going to spend the next few days selling off, consigning and getting rid of a lot of my possessions. I am going to be scaling down a lot and living a more minimalist lifestyle while I am in transition in my career and moving all over the place. I just moved from Seattle to Charlotte only a couple months ago. But, since I am breaking my lease (through a lease buy-out) and now have the opportunity to move, I think I have decided that I really am more eager to live in Colorado. I have also considered Tennessee, but I feel Colorado has many more amenities that I like, including the mountain scenery I more desire among other amenities not legal in this region of the country that I missed having in Washington state. As well, Denver seems to have a more established software market and IT scene than Charlotte.

Tennessee is a gorgeous state, but Nashville is way beyond my price range and the software market there is much smaller. I'd probably have to move to Knoxville (which has way better scenery than Nashville), but there is literally no software market there and I'd be screwed if my business ventures flop there. I really did like the Southern culture I experienced in Tennessee. The accents were so enticing and food was good. However, it was disappointing coming to Charlotte. I didn't realize how Charlotte was so non-Southern and mostly has as very suburban, almost elitist New Jersey/New York type of culture. I rarely even meet a single North Carolina person. It's not a cool Northeast culture too, like loud and gritty Brooklyn or Philly culture, but more East Coast yuppie suburban culture and its kind of getting to me and I have hardly been here long. I felt like when I was in Colorado, being a native Oregonian, that I fit in so much better and even dressed more like people around me. The dress code in Charlotte also makes me stick out and I find it not appealing at all.

Charlotte really has no neighborhoods, no strips of bars, coffeeshops, clubs, community feel or any organization. I'm still at a loss to figure out how to do anything here. I've never felt so confused about any place I lived. I don't know how to say it, but the city seems to lack serious soul and organization. I know Denver is a bit sprawled but I still know the city, itself, has established neigbhorhoods and communities. I've been to cities all over the world and never seen one as disorganized as Charlotte. There doesn't seem to be much nightlife, entertainment and everything is so spread apart in various neighborhoods you have to drive everywhere .. Walking to the bar or venue down the street in this neighborhood just doesn't happen. This is one thing I respect about Seattle and Portland. Even Boise at least had a downtown where everything happened, even if the rest of the city was just sprawled nothing suburbia. Of course, Charlotte also has some real slums, but they seem to be distributed across various neighborhoods which makes it even more confusing. It is hard to tell where the bad area is located and where the good area is and sometimes the two seem to morph into each other. You may be living next to a crime infested area living in an upscale area.

So, am I out of the ballpark with what I want? I know places like Golden, CO will cost a premium, but how much would it cost to live in a safe, quiet suburb near the mountains? I would like to get the largest place I can rent, but I am succumbing to the fact I may only be able to afford a small apartment and I am willing to accept that lifestyle for the next two years.

Oh yes, Colorado Springs is out.. So , I know some will suggest it , but I am not interested to live there. I am a single guy and just don't want to live in another military town. I was living in Lacey ,WA near Fort Lewis before I moved to North Carolina a couple months ago. I know CO Springs is a much nicer town than seedy Lakewood or Ft Lewis area, but I still rather not be in a town with globs of single military men. Being non-military I also feel left out in the social circles of those environments. Colorado Springs really does look beautiful, but it is a place I would consider retiring not living during my active years and having a career. Denver or Ft Collins areas are where I would look. Boulder would be way too expensive and too liberal for a Libertarian person as myself as well.

I appreciate people's advice and suggestions.

Last edited by RotseCherut; 08-15-2018 at 12:34 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2018, 12:47 AM

17,711 posts, read 29,823,179 times
This is near me
https://www.apartments.com/tennyson4...er-co/2nlkcp9/
I think, don’t know, that you can get a free month and/or other concessions.

Old 08-15-2018, 10:29 AM

824 posts, read 705,490 times
zillow...

Old 08-15-2018, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daprara View Post
zillow...
I know all about Zillow, but it doesn't tell me which areas are good, bad, what is to be avoided. I can see fancy granite counter tops, flashy looking pergo wood floors and a trendy looking picture, but it doesn't tell me if the money I am paying is worth it. If you saw the house I live in now in Huntersville, NC on Zillow you would think it is the most amazing place in the world. And, indeed, my house is so awesome, 2200 sqft, granite slab countertops even in the bathroom, dual-zone AC.. What you don't know is about the multiple convicted meth-head felon living in his mom's detached garage outside who goes on fits of rages, blasts music and the cops, nor HOA do a damn thing about it. As well, there is a lot of crime in the neighborhood and lot of trouble-makers who chased away homeowners. The housing is much cheaper than other areas for a reason. The price of a house smaller than the one I am in now in a desirable area of Charlotte (or Huntersville) would be like $3000/mo, not the $1500/mo I am paying now. So, yeah, I guess its all about location and areas, which I know little about in Denver.

Anyhow, I will try to research various areas as much as possible. I am looking at areas right now like Golden (ideal place , but I am sure very ,very expensive), Lakewood, Longmont, Broomfield or possibly cheaper towns outside of Boulder , but not Boulder, itself. As long as I am a 45 min commute (without traffic) from the city I would be fine, since I will be working from home. My goal is to be as close to the mountains as possible and find some place that is hopefully over 800 sq ft under $1600/mo that is away from the slums/meth-heads, not a party zone and quiet; especially, at night. I am not sure if it is possible, but that is what is ideal.

Thank you Dave, above, for that link. I have to mention that I don't want to live in the city limits of Denver, itself. Denver also has a few laws that may make it impossible for me to live there, for example, gun ban ordinances, etc. I'd prefer to live west of the city, anyhow, and I am sure Denver proper is more expensive.

Old 08-15-2018, 11:04 AM

11,477 posts, read 11,559,641 times
So just to level set your expectations.....

If you are looking a median home purchase prices for metropolitan areas:

Denver metro: $502K
Charlotte metro: $212K
Nashville metro: $255K

Denver has the highest median home price of any non coastal metro area in the country.

Rent is a different story.

Old 08-15-2018, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
So just to level set your expectations.....

If you are looking a median home purchase prices for metropolitan areas:

Denver metro: $502K
Charlotte metro: $212K
Nashville metro: $255K

Denver has the highest median home price of any non coastal metro area in the country.

Rent is a different story.
Hey SkyDog.. Actually, please don't believe the numbers you are seeing on paper with Charlotte's housing prices.. Actually, the housing market in Charlotte is so hot right now and inventory is so low, that it has pushed its way into the rental market and that is why the rental prices are skyrocketing for homes. But, if you look at the prices of homes in Charlotte on Zillow right now, the median list prices are $300k and the homes are selling so fast that there is actually a housing shortage (in desirable/safe areas). This what various real estate agents here have told me and they also say its why I cannot even find any home rentals. From what I see now, if you buy a home for $212k in Charlotte you will be in either a very bad neighborhood or be almost an hour from the center of the city. One thing people don't realize about Charlotte is the the city limits, itself, are quite large and it is very sprawled. Whereas Denver itself is more compact and has lots of sprawled suburbs.

Anyhow, with the huge migration of people and the deficit of housing, I think those numbers you see will be doubled soon. Charlotte also has a lot of undesirable areas and slums you just don't want to live in and that also may contribute to why the housing prices may appear lower. But, I think if you live in the areas you would want to live, like Dilworth, South Park, Ballantyne, even Noda, the prices are pretty much the same or more than many of the desirable parts of Denver. One thing that strikes me about Charlotte is how the wealthy people love flaunting their wealth here and how prestigious the nice areas are. The bad areas are strange because some have nice homes, but crime is rampant and can be next door to trailer parks.

Anyway, I didn't mean to divert my own thread with a City Vs City comparison.. Haha, sorry..

I guess I just want to know what I could afford living with my budget in the Denver area and what kind of rental I can find within 45 minutes (without traffic) from the city center of Denver. I know I probably can get cheaper place in Aurora, but I hear that is nota desirable area and it is also located much farther from the mountains which i desire to be close to.

Old 08-15-2018, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
Hey SkyDog.. Actually, please don't believe the numbers you are seeing on paper with Charlotte's housing prices.. Actually, the housing market in Charlotte is so hot right now and inventory is so low, that it has pushed its way into the rental market and that is why the rental prices are skyrocketing for homes. But, if you look at the prices of homes in Charlotte on Zillow right now, the median list prices are $300k and the homes are selling so fast that there is actually a housing shortage (in desirable/safe areas). This what various real estate agents here have told me and they also say its why I cannot even find any home rentals. From what I see now, if you buy a home for $212k in Charlotte you will be in either a very bad neighborhood or be almost an hour from the center of the city. One thing people don't realize about Charlotte is the the city limits, itself, are quite large and it is very sprawled. Whereas Denver itself is more compact and has lots of sprawled suburbs.

Anyhow, with the huge migration of people and the deficit of housing, I think those numbers you see will be doubled soon. Charlotte also has a lot of undesirable areas and slums you just don't want to live in and that also may contribute to why the housing prices may appear lower. But, I think if you live in the areas you would want to live, like Dilworth, South Park, Ballantyne, even Noda, the prices are pretty much the same or more than even desirable parts of Denver. One thing that strikes me about Charlotte is how the wealthy people love flaunting their wealth here and how prestigious the nice areas are. The bad areas are strange because some have nice homes, but crime is rampant and can be next door to trailer parks.

Anyway, I didn't mean to divert my own thread with a City Vs City comparison.. Haha, sorry..

I guess I just want to know what I could afford living with my budget in the Denver area and what kind of rental I can find within 45 minutes (without traffic) from the city center of Denver. I know I probably can get cheaper place in Aurora, but I hear that is nota desirable area and it is also located much farther from the mountains which i desire to be close to.
You have to beleive the numbers you see on paper because home sales are publicly recorded transactions.

In any case, buying a home in Denver is still much more expensive. I want to make sure if that figures in to your calculations that you are prepared. There are practically zero single family homes in Denver for $212,000. Like zero. 5,000 square feet of dirt a few doors down from me just sold for $870,000.

As for your rental budget, I think you’re fine. Look in Denver West (Golden) and Arvada.

Old 08-15-2018, 01:35 PM

8,498 posts, read 8,790,853 times
Lakewood, Golden, Broomfield... For you, I'd think pick a spot close to their downtowns AND within walking distance of a light rail stop.

All have about 30% in 25-44 age bracket. A bit more "single" than married, though most singles are involved to some degree. Lakewood, somewhat higher married rate.

Find your crowd. Might be more likely Broomfield than the other two.

Last edited by NW Crow; 08-15-2018 at 01:56 PM..

Old 08-15-2018, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
Lakewood, Golden, Broomfield... For you, I'd think pick a spot close to their downtowns AND within walking distance of a light rail stop.

All have about 30% in 25-44 age bracket. A bit more "single" than married, though most singles are involved to some degree. Lakewood, somewhat higher married rate.

Find your crowd. Might be more likely Broomfield than the other two.
I appreciate your post NW Crow.. I have a friend who now lives in Missouri who was born and grew up in Colorado and Wyoming. He gave me a lot of suggestions, although he hasn't lived there in a while. He was really trying to push Fort Collins on me and seemed to enjoy it. However, Ft. Collins would be far from the software jobs in Denver, if I needed work. He tells me Ft. Collins has its own little IT industry, but not sure how much opportunity is there. As well, I figure being a single 40 year old professional I may find myself not really a fit for the demographics in a place like Ft. Collins. In the Pacific Northwest, where I am from, it seems like small towns are either rich yuppies who are married and a college age crowd who are mostly tend to hang out among themselves. Many of these people are in the service industry. Nothing wrong with that either, but it's hard to establish friendships.

I figure being a larger city like Denver I will have variety of demographics of people and age groups. I have no problem commuting to a more exciting place for socializing, nightlife , etc. Usually, I don't like living around the excitement , but would prefer peace and quiet, but I don't mind being within driving distance to it. I am not a heavy drinker any more , so the need of getting plastered and ubering or walking home is not a big deal for me. I like that being a bit farther forces me to stay more sober for fear of DUI. I'm too old and have too many years of boozing and partying behind me to want to engage in a wild party life anymore.

However, I do like socializing and meeting people and finding places of like minded people who enjoy activities that cater for single, professional types would be desirable.

My friend told me most of the suburbs are pretty decent to live. He said you will know the bad areas. He seem to have a deep fear about Denver the city limits and said the city is infested with crime.. Not sure if I can take him on face value there. I never heard Denver to be super safe, but I never heard it was super crime-ridden, although I know it has crime. I have no desire to live within the city limits.

I am looking at places like Longmont, Broomfield, Thornton, Arvada, Wheat Ridge, Westminster, etc. Trying to aim for the west side of the Denver metro or a bit further northwest or south. He told me Castle Rock was a great place, but its very expensive. Castle Rock does look appealing by its location.

Old 08-16-2018, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post

My friend told me most of the suburbs are pretty decent to live. He said you will know the bad areas. He seem to have a deep fear about Denver the city limits and said the city is infested with crime.. Not sure if I can take him on face value there. I never heard Denver to be super safe, but I never heard it was super crime-ridden, although I know it has crime. I have no desire to live within the city limits.

I am looking at places like Longmont, Broomfield, Thornton, Arvada, Wheat Ridge, Westminster, etc. Trying to aim for the west side of the Denver metro or a bit further northwest or south. He told me Castle Rock was a great place, but its very expensive. Castle Rock does look appealing by its location.
That’s ridiculous. The most desirable neighborhoods in the metro area are in the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver