U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2018, 11:15 AM

3,061 posts, read 2,090,382 times

Advertisements

Unfortunately, big lots lean towards more isolated lay outs, which may mean more isolated communities, but not in all cases. It all depends on a number of variables. Older farming areas that tended towards acreage may have more community within them than an area that has simply grown to have new houses on largish lots with the typical modern transient families living in them.

Sadly, in CO, as a number of places in the west, we have not developed these large, affluent, great school, community towns with large lots and rural feel that are within 40-60 minutes of major metro areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2018, 11:40 AM

2,514 posts, read 3,493,334 times
I live on over an acre and I think it sounds like the type of area you would like. We have every possible amenity within about a mile radius and there are tons of walking paths. It is in north Westminster/Broomfield.

Schools are very good for the basic assigned ones and there are plenty of choice in schools like Stargate which is for high IQ kids.
Stargate Community
Prospect Ridge for intensified math and science focus.
https://www.prospectridgeacademy.org...pREC_ID=970024

I know people who's kids go to the assigned school and both of the above. All are very happy.

You have a choice of homes in more manicured neighborhoods or more rural.
https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...ct/14_zm/1_fr/

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...ct/14_zm/1_fr/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...12950858_zpid/

Airport is an easy 30 min. on 470. It is a tollway so you just sail along. The tolls are taken electronically. It is probably an extra 10 min. to go on the non-toll roads.

All three homes are walking distance to McKay Lake.

The closest rec. center is Broomfield Paul Derda. You can use any of the rec centers, Westminster, Broomfield, Northglenn, Thornton. There is a small fee difference if you are not from that city.
https://www.broomfield.org/2664/Paul...reation-Center

Some people go to Lifetime Fitness. It is at an extremely popular outdoor shopping center.
https://www.lifetime.life/life-time-...ate=2018-08-29

http://www.theorchardtowncenter.com/

All of the cities have great activities guides. Here is a link to Westminster's so you can see what is offered.
https://www.cityofwestminster.us/Par...ActivityGuides

Here is a link to a thread I did with some pictures of McKay Lake area. I don't have any of the kids park but if you have younger kids let me know and I will take some.
Some post snow storm pics around McKay Lake in Westminster

The local lake which is walking distance from all the homes above has a bike park and very creative natural children's play area. Not sure of the ages of your kids but this is for younger kids. The bike park has all levels from just barely able to ride to expert jumps.

If your kids aren't into bicycle riding they will be once they see the bike park.
https://www.broomfield.org/2709/Broomfield-Bike-Park

Edit: Found this post which shows a the new playground as it was being built and some more of the local trails. It is done now and very cool.
Quail Creek PHOTO TOUR

Forgot to mention we are about 30-35 min. from downtown Denver and Boulder. Also very convenient to the Lafayette & Louisville festivals and restaurants.

2nd Edit: Forgot to mention we have a rail line opening in 2019 or 2020 (they haven't published the date yet) that goes up to 124th. The airport traveler can take it to downtown and then to the airport.
http://www.rtd-denver.com/n-line.shtml

But it is more convenient and quicker to go by bus.
Wagon Wheel DIA route.
http://www3.rtd-denver.com/schedules...e=9&routeId=AA
Attached Thumbnails
Commute to Airport Often - want schools and big lot-img_20180303_154404336_burst000_cover_top.jpg  

Last edited by mic111; 08-29-2018 at 01:06 PM..

Old 08-29-2018, 11:41 AM

21 posts, read 9,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Bow Mar under $1M is tough.
Fair enough. There's some less exclusive communities nearby too I suppose. Pockets of large lot homes adjacent to foothills and fox hollow golf courses might be good alternatives.

Old 08-29-2018, 11:52 AM

6,534 posts, read 10,219,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
If SE Aurora is the goal then I would follow 2beindenver's suggestion and look at the Foxfield, Chenango, and Inspiration area of Parker. Those properties have larger lots, but they won't come cheap.

Old 08-29-2018, 12:13 PM

2,514 posts, read 3,493,334 times
While I was creating my monster post I see there were tons of replies and new info. We do tend to have some homes with 8 and 10 car garages. The rural acreages are easiest to add to but there are homes in the planned neighborhoods with large garages. They tend to get snapped up quickly.

The first home I linked has a 5 car garage.

The second one is unicorporated Adams county so you can add alot of garages. I think it currently has 6 car space. Probably can put a pole barn on this type of lot.

I wouldn't say there are TONS of kids like you probably find in Bradburn and Stapleton (two planned small lot communities). It is because those are newer. The large lot areas tend to have mixed ages because they are older so you have people at all life stages. But there are plenty of young families just not the density you will find in a brand new neighborhood where everyone is on their first home.

Old 08-29-2018, 01:24 PM

3,466 posts, read 1,706,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
If SE Aurora is the goal then I would follow 2beindenver's suggestion and look at the Foxfield, Chenango, and Inspiration area of Parker. Those properties have larger lots, but they won't come cheap.

I agree. I tried to post some links earlier to listings from areas near SE Aurora with larger lots, but I'm on a hotel computer and when I tested the links I got a virus warning, so I deleted them all. If you do a search in 80016 for lots larger than .5 acre, several listings will come up for just under $1 million in Saddle Rock Ranches, in neighborhoods between Blackstone and Tallyn's Reach, in the area just south of Grandview HS, Antelope, as well as the Foxfield and Chenango areas mentioned above. Most of them may say they are located in Centennial, but it's the same general area and the same schools.

Last edited by Gorges; 08-29-2018 at 02:10 PM..

Old 08-29-2018, 01:47 PM

732 posts, read 388,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marston View Post
Fair enough. There's some less exclusive communities nearby too I suppose. Pockets of large lot homes adjacent to foothills and fox hollow golf courses might be good alternatives.

There are large lot homes just south of Park Meadows Mall and the Bluffs Regional Park in Lone Tree. You don't need to be that far west and further from the airport to have a large lot.

Old 08-29-2018, 03:06 PM

397 posts, read 589,542 times
If you only have to commute to the airport once per week, my suggestion would be to look in Evergreen, Conifer and Mountain Morrison (The Homestead neighborhood). Excellent public schools and large lots for under a million. You'll be about an hour and 10 min door to door from DIA barring a bad traffic accident or a snow storm.

Old 08-30-2018, 08:49 AM

540 posts, read 257,297 times
look into small town's like Brighton, Hudson, Ft Luptin...
seems Adams County schools are on the fritz with a 4 day school week. This may be a school bond election issue? Brighton is inside the adams county schools but despite this bad maybe pick Brighton, I like an area; Third Creek Estates, a well funded super clean private water system and larger houses & lots, good internet and natural gas, functional shopping experience.

lite rail may help you out, its $9.00 for the A Line but the cost includes possible free parking, transfers and a whole day pass, not a bad deal if you plan to park at the airport. This would open up a wide area, otherwise Parker, Castle Rock, Highlands Ranch, Broomfield are impractical for a frequent airport driver

keep in mind for the next 5years they will be working on i70 between i25 and the Penia exit. Avoid i70 travel.
the toll road E470 is very expensive.

I like the Denver - Stapleton area but again rush hour traffic is intense in out of there. Small lots.

Old 08-30-2018, 09:10 AM

21,064 posts, read 11,683,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daprara View Post
I like the Denver - Stapleton area but again rush hour traffic is intense in out of there. Small lots.
I'm confused by this. I've lived in Stapleton for going on 4 years and other than waiting at intersections for school kids to cross or occasionally stopping to let an alley neighbor back out of their garage, I have no issues with rush hour traffic, let alone having it be "intense."

(just to reiterate, I'm NOT recommending Stapleton for the OP, just asking about the quoted statement)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or