U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2018, 08:01 AM

8 posts, read 6,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownnola View Post
A note related to the non-churchgoing comment, that is one huge difference you would find compared to thee south. I wouldn't expect people here to ask you about your religion or where you go to church. Many people in this area spend Sundays going to the mountains, brunch with friends, etc. The Denver area is for the most part, live-and-let-live and both religious and non-religious folks seem to get along and respect one another well.

With that said, I have placed my answers to your questions below in italics. Best of luck on your decision, OP!

About the church thing: I guess I was kind of on auto-pilot, hoping to head off the question before it got asked. Glad to see I am wrong, expecting that! And nice to know we could fit in, too.

Also, thanks for your answers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by history nerd View Post
$1100 is a bit low but not unheard of depending on where you are willing to live. Personally I would up your housing budget.

You might try getting into outdoor stuff, the quality here will be higher. Nerd stuff is the same in any big city, we have some nice shops with tabletop gaming, magic, and other nerdy stuff... Might be a good place to start getting into the know. We do have a nice mid-tier Comic Con.

Allergies are very personal mine are worse here than other places, yours might be better. Low humidity and high altitude is great but will take adjustment. Learn to live with snow.

-I'm seeing more and more we'd definitely have to up our house budget.

-Oh, I'm not averse to doing outdoor stuff--and neither is my husband really. We just somehow never find the time/have the time to do outdoorsy type things. My daughter on the other hand.. But I'm definitely interested in camping, etc.

-When I saw that Denver had it's own Comic-Con, I was totally excited! I've been wanting to go to SDCC for years now--it'd be awesome if I could get the chance to attend one, if we moved to the Denver area. And for the other geeky things, awesome to hear.

-Adjusting to low humidity would be nice(some days here feels like a sauna; it'd be nice not to feel that anymore). Adjusting to high altitude: I'm sure I can(staying positive about it ). And I adore snow!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2018, 09:20 AM

22,730 posts, read 16,188,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunspark View Post
About the church thing: I guess I was kind of on auto-pilot, hoping to head off the question before it got asked. Glad to see I am wrong, expecting that! And nice to know we could fit in, too.

Also, thanks for your answers!

-I'm seeing more and more we'd definitely have to up our house budget.

-Oh, I'm not averse to doing outdoor stuff--and neither is my husband really. We just somehow never find the time/have the time to do outdoorsy type things. My daughter on the other hand.. But I'm definitely interested in camping, etc.

-When I saw that Denver had it's own Comic-Con, I was totally excited! I've been wanting to go to SDCC for years now--it'd be awesome if I could get the chance to attend one, if we moved to the Denver area. And for the other geeky things, awesome to hear.

-Adjusting to low humidity would be nice(some days here feels like a sauna; it'd be nice not to feel that anymore). Adjusting to high altitude: I'm sure I can(staying positive about it ). And I adore snow!
Denver ComicCon is GREAT! And so accessible. It at the convention center right in the heart of the city, easily accessible by light rail and it is a bargain. The three day pass averages around $30 a day. Of course, photo ops, autographs, etc. are extra, but still a great deal.
Next year's will take place May 31-June 2.

Regarding housing, you probably want to plan on at least $1400 for a nice 2bd, 1.5-2 bath. There are still some to be found in SE Aurora, Lakewood, Thornton, Northglenn... that would put you within your 45 minute range.

Old 09-04-2018, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Denver ComicCon is GREAT! And so accessible. It at the convention center right in the heart of the city, easily accessible by light rail and it is a bargain. The three day pass averages around $30 a day. Of course, photo ops, autographs, etc. are extra, but still a great deal.
Next year's will take place May 31-June 2.

Regarding housing, you probably want to plan on at least $1400 for a nice 2bd, 1.5-2 bath. There are still some to be found in SE Aurora, Lakewood, Thornton, Northglenn... that would put you within your 45 minute range.

-Sweet! If we do get to move out there, hopefully it'll be in time for ComicCon (that would awesome, if so, but realistically it might be a while before moving, even with the hubby going first). Also, from what I looked up about the RTD(?), I wasn't sure; do the busses/trains run all hours? I kind of thought so, looking at the schedule, but I wanted to double-check. Sorry for being dumb

-Thanks for the ideas of where to look for housing

Last edited by Sunspark; 09-04-2018 at 10:37 AM.. Reason: clarity

Old 09-04-2018, 11:58 AM

22,730 posts, read 16,188,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunspark View Post
-Sweet! If we do get to move out there, hopefully it'll be in time for ComicCon (that would awesome, if so, but realistically it might be a while before moving, even with the hubby going first). Also, from what I looked up about the RTD(?), I wasn't sure; do the busses/trains run all hours? I kind of thought so, looking at the schedule, but I wanted to double-check. Sorry for being dumb

-Thanks for the ideas of where to look for housing
Re: RTD (yes, it's RTD) - Some of the lines run pretty late and/or start very early. I don't know if any run a full 24 hours/round the clock schedule as is done in NYC, for example.

Re: Housing areas - you're welcome!

Old 09-04-2018, 04:17 PM

339 posts, read 117,108 times
If and when you arrive, be sure to sign up with Meetup, you will find several gaming groups that meet regularly for all sorts of fun - Magic cards, good 'ol Dungeons and Dragons, board games, Miniature battles, etc. Some of them couple gaming with food, craft beer, and the like, depending upon where they meet. Nerd heaven ! Seems to be a good sized gaming community/culture here, a couple of popular gaming shops too to serve as a launch-point.

As a recent arrival from the east coast (Maryland), let me say I have yet to spot a single leaf of poison ivy, oak, or sumac. I've been told it can be found in these parts but it flourishes more where it is moist and humid (that's not here!) ... so if you hate it as much as spiders, that'd be another check in the win column.

Old 09-04-2018, 04:28 PM

20,840 posts, read 39,059,222 times
And of course there's Colorado's very own Geek's Who Drink meetings.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 09-04-2018, 04:36 PM

6,526 posts, read 10,197,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADogNamedSam View Post
As a recent arrival from the east coast (Maryland), let me say I have yet to spot a single leaf of poison ivy, oak, or sumac. I've been told it can be found in these parts but it flourishes more where it is moist and humid (that's not here!) ... so if you hate it as much as spiders, that'd be another check in the win column.
Go to Castlewood Canyon and/or Golden Gate Canyon. There's poison ivy everywhere.

The only worrisome spider we have here is the black widow. They tend to stay outdoors, rarely wander outside of their webs, and will retreat into their web if they sense danger. Bites are painful and do require medical attention, but fatalities are extremely rare.

On very rare occasions Texas Brown Tarantulas will make it as far north as the southeastern sections of the Denver metro area. They're more common in southeastern Colorado (south and east of Colorado Springs). They're docile and harmless unless you're allergic to their venom.

Old 09-05-2018, 07:38 AM

568 posts, read 1,044,811 times
For a single family detached home, you will need to budget at least $1,600, but if you can go up to $2K you will have some decent options. Condos and townhomes an be cheaper.

As a nerd, I think Denver has a nice nerd scene. There are some great comic book stores and comic con is pretty huge here. For board gamers, there's a great hangout at Board Game Republic - https://www.boardgamerepublic.com/. The Park Hill Library is run by a friend of mine doing some really cool and creative things. They host regular comedy nights in the basement and have some fun (yet nerdy) events happening throughout the year.

Old 09-06-2018, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADogNamedSam View Post
If and when you arrive, be sure to sign up with Meetup, you will find several gaming groups that meet regularly for all sorts of fun - Magic cards, good 'ol Dungeons and Dragons, board games, Miniature battles, etc. Some of them couple gaming with food, craft beer, and the like, depending upon where they meet. Nerd heaven ! Seems to be a good sized gaming community/culture here, a couple of popular gaming shops too to serve as a launch-point.

If we do, I'll definitely check out the groups
-

Re: Poison Ivy, etc. -I'll be sure to avoid those areas(like I do here, whenever I *do* get outdoors )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
And of course there's Colorado's very own Geek's Who Drink meetings.

Thanks for the link-- we're only very rarely drinkers, but I'll check it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Go to Castlewood Canyon and/or Golden Gate Canyon. There's poison ivy everywhere.

The only worrisome spider we have here is the black widow. They tend to stay outdoors, rarely wander outside of their webs, and will retreat into their web if they sense danger. Bites are painful and do require medical attention, but fatalities are extremely rare.

On very rare occasions Texas Brown Tarantulas will make it as far north as the southeastern sections of the Denver metro area. They're more common in southeastern Colorado (south and east of Colorado Springs). They're docile and harmless unless you're allergic to their venom.

RE: Black Widows: Most of the time here they hang out outside too, until they come inside. (I've seen two? I think so far in my house). I avoid their fave spots as much as possible!

Re: Tarantulas- *gulp* Well, I hope I'm not(allergic). But I'll remember to avoid, if we do move there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augie Daugie View Post
For a single family detached home, you will need to budget at least $1,600, but if you can go up to $2K you will have some decent options. Condos and townhomes an be cheaper.

As a nerd, I think Denver has a nice nerd scene. There are some great comic book stores and comic con is pretty huge here. For board gamers, there's a great hangout at Board Game Republic - https://www.boardgamerepublic.com/. The Park Hill Library is run by a friend of mine doing some really cool and creative things. They host regular comedy nights in the basement and have some fun (yet nerdy) events happening throughout the year.

Re: budget:That's what we've been talking about, if realistically we can budget higher. To be honest, we might be exploring other options.

-
Re: Board Game Republic; sounds cool! I'll check out that link. And nice to know about the comic books stores, too.

Thanks everyone for your replies! It's truly appreciated

Old 09-07-2018, 08:53 AM

538 posts, read 254,494 times
how much value does living some place like Denver bring to your family? For an inland city Denver has done well for itself so things like housing, health care are expensive. What will offset this for you personally? Maybe its a good book store around the corner or a more than functional manager at your employment. When people move likely they will they drag along all the same issues they had in their old place? Where ever you move its a time to make new friends and try new things...

Denver is a high land desert.
-Expect changes in both the day to day weather and the longer term climate. Recent trend is things are getting warmer dryer every year. Winters or summer moisture rain or snow is the exception not the norm. Who is to say and next winter could bring a lot of snow, my GUESS is another dry sunny winter.
-The warmer climate is inviting for different insects than might have been here in the past. Expect a lot less infestation than your used to, a summer mosquito byte is rare. This invites people out doors here and extends the home into the back yard and parks

Transportation
The lite rail is expensive for daily use but it is clean and dependable. City streets are also passable with some exceptions. The local interstate situation is not. The state is starting a couple major construction projects here on south i25 and east i70. This will add to an already grid locked local freeway. One day your commute may take 46 minutes and the next it will take double that. If it does snow even a tiny bit forget it, get a hotel.

Last edited by daprara; 09-07-2018 at 09:13 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or