Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2018, 12:52 PM

1,710 posts, read 1,462,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
Shalom Barry, I am not sure where you read that I keep kosher? I am not really super religious or Shomer Shabbat. I do not eat pork or shellfish and try to eat the best I can, but I am definitely not strict kosher.

Yeah, I cannot imagine Denver would be able to surpass New York or even Chicago with Italian cuisine. I am merely comparing it to West Coast, especially Seattle and even to Charlotte where I was living. Of course, every pizza place has New York, Brooklyn or Italy in the name so it makes sense that the Northeast, where the style of Italian/Pizza cuisine originated would have the best pizza and italian food. I have a lot of family who came from Brooklyn, so I did get try some good Italian cooking growing up.. My aunt and grandmother made lasagna like I never had in my life. Seattle probably has the worst Italian I ever had and good luck finding a pizza or calzone you would actually want to eat. The only exception would be Valarmos in University District, which is a step above any other East Coast style italian restaurant in seattle.

Seattle has its perks and you make a few interesting points. Yes, I agree that it is hard to compare to the beauty of Washington and even Oregon has some fanastic gems like the Oregon Coast and Columbia Gorger which are hard to rival in the lower 48. However, after driving through the Western Slope all the way to Denver from Utah via a night in Parachute, I will say that the Colorado Rocky mountains have a grandiose and unique beauty of their own. Colorado has so many mountains and unique rock formations that I find the beauty pretty spectacular and hard to compare to Washington. It is almost apples and oranges. For example, you will not find giant mesas towering into the sky at every corner anywhere in Washington or Oregon like you do in Grand Junction and Parachute area. As well there are such an expanse of rugged and jagged rocky peaks expanding for 100s of miles. You have rocks that just tower 1000s of feet right from the base and this is not something you will see in mountains frmo the Cascade range very often. it is hard to describe but I am pretty amazed at Colorado's beauty. However, if your standard of beauty is lush green forests and lots of vegetation and water then Washington and Alaska will definitely be your cup of tea. East of the Cascades and once you get to wenatchee, most of the state of Washington can be quite desolate and barren. Many do not realize that Washington has as much prarie and desert as it has forests. Northeastern Washington up near the selkirks is an exception and is pretty lush, but is very remote and isolate and gets too much snow.

Another thing people don't realize is lately Washington and Oregon have been plagued with nasty fires that blow lots of smoke right into the cities. People couldn't even leave their house this Summer in Seattle. Imagine waiting 9 months for sun, only to be stuck inside because of smoke.

As far as Seattle as a city, I would say Denver blows it away. Seattle use to be a better city, but the cost of living is insane, traffic is unbearable and the layout of the city makes it challenging to navigate and brutal during rush hour. It took me literally over 2 hours to go from Ballard to SODO (appx 5 miles) on as monday at 4pm. I have travelled all over Denver at all times and never did it take me that long to travel such a short distance. As well, the homeless and drug problem is no joke and there is a lot of mentally distrubed people just wandering all over the streets. Downtown Seattle really is starting to smell like a human toilet as many of the homeless defacate in the alleyways and other various locations. The smell of human waste is something you don't even realize until you leave Seattle. There is also problems with syringes all over the parks, etc. Kids are finding needles and nothing seems to be able to be done about it. I find Denver to be a much more clean, intelligently designed and livable city than Seattle.
Being from PA most of my life and spending a lot of time in Michigan, I miss the greenery. SEA has that, MTNS and Water which makes it unique. I wouldn't move there for reasons you mentioned, our HQ is there and I like to visit and Id like to explore the area a bit more, but its too $$$$ and the bums/politics would drive me away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2018, 09:19 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,555,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatacombKid View Post
Not sure where you live in Denver, but we are probably gaining on Seattle and Portland. The sidewalks at Broadway and Lawrence are lined with tents and shopping carts. It's like Denver's version of Skid Row. I know because I live very close.
I recently spent a weekend in Portland. We clearly have a homeless issue in Denver but nowhere near the level they do.

Old 09-25-2018, 05:38 AM

22,331 posts, read 29,421,443 times
Born and raised in Miami and live there for over 30 years. Been out here now 5 years. I miss Miami because it's what I know. However, there are many ghosts there for me. It's not possible for me to return. I guess I miss my memories and what no longer is there..

Old 09-25-2018, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
I recently spent a weekend in Portland. We clearly have a homeless issue in Denver but nowhere near the level they do.

I pretty much only go downtown Denver for work purposes. The homeless is annoying and its getting worse.

I did see a story on a lady in Seattle that basically built a for about a block long taking up a sidewalk. The mayor should have bulldozed it. The politics of Seattle, SF and soon to be Denver will be their demise.

Old 09-25-2018, 04:09 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,721,722 times
I lived in Boulder, CO before I immigrated to Denmark. I loved the mountains. In Denmark, I miss them. Every year for about 15 years my danish wife and I went back there. But my kids all moved away. Now, we've switched to the Utha, where my daughter lives, and PNW to spend time in the mountains in both places.

I moved because I couldn't stand the hectic pase of my work life in the US and how it interferred with my family life. That has been cured in Denmark. Later my son moved to the UK for the same reasons and he's still there.

Old 09-26-2018, 08:24 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,364,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo Cardinal View Post
I went to Seattle a few years ago and met up with a friend who lives there. She was driving us around the town, and I can't remember exactly where it was (I want to say it was on our way to the "troll bridge", but I could be mistaken), but there was a spot where it looked like cars were coming at us from five different directions. She was unfazed, but I nearly had a heart attack!
Your post reminds me of driving west through Kansas City a few years ago. I had intended to take the bypass but missed it and ended up downtown at rush hour. I'm an experienced driver who doesn't scare easily, but that was the most terrifying few minutes of my life! While the construction we have going here in the Denver metro right now can be annoying, I really like our mostly uncomplicated interstates.

Old 09-26-2018, 09:02 AM

11,477 posts, read 11,555,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy87 View Post
I pretty much only go downtown Denver for work purposes. The homeless is annoying and its getting worse.

I did see a story on a lady in Seattle that basically built a for about a block long taking up a sidewalk. The mayor should have bulldozed it. The politics of Seattle, SF and soon to be Denver will be their demise.
We can agree to disagree. I think our local politics are the only thing that will save us from the national demise.

Old 09-26-2018, 10:20 AM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,649,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
I moved from the Seattle area via a 2 month stint in Charlotte, North Carolina. I'm originally from Oregon, but will keep the post referencing the Seattle/Puget Sound area where I lived on and off for last 6 years, except for one year when I went to Boise and then moved back.

What I love about Denver:
1. Less Traffic than Seattle
2. Easy Navigation
3. Glorious Rockies closely accessible to city
4. Great Food and especially surprised at the pizza places
5. Great Beer and so much of it
6. Excellent Coffee scene that leaves Seattle in the dirt
7. Very Clean City, wow, how come Seattle/Portland cannot learn from this city?

What I miss:
1. Glorious Cascade mountains (I will forever be a Cascadian in my heart)
2. Glorious Olympic mountains (A jagged range of mountains that towers right above the water)
3. Lush greenery
4. Giant Spruce, Firs, Cedar, Alder Trees
5. Large bodies of water, Puget Sound, Rivers, Lakes
6. Top Quality Organically Grown Cannabis (Cannabis in colorado seem subpar in quality and much more chemicals than Washington).
7. Chuck's Hop Shop (Hard to beat this beer store/70+ tap room, but I am sure denver has a rival and I will find it).
I am genuinely glad that Denver is to your liking.

I wish you the very best , and I am sorry that Charlotte didn't work out.

Old 09-26-2018, 04:35 PM

1,260 posts, read 1,102,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy87 View Post
The homeless is annoying and its getting worse.
I imagine the homeless feel it’s annoying as well.

Old 09-27-2018, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Red Road View Post
I imagine the homeless feel it’s annoying as well.
Its a lifestyle choice for many.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver